Help me critique my security please
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Help me critique my security please within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Good morning group. Hope this post finds everyone well and in good health. In my continued effort to beef up my preparedness I have started ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Help me critique my security please

Good morning group. Hope this post finds everyone well and in good health.

In my continued effort to beef up my preparedness I have started looking more at security around my home. It is something that I have thought about but still don't feel like I have the best handle on. If you had seen me 15 years ago I would have probably been the least secure person on earth. I married a Navy boy and have since gotten over the fear of guns in the house.

Let me start by telling you what I have going on and hopefully you guys will have some critiques or tips you can share with me to help me keep my family more secure.

As a general description we live on 6 acres now with about 2 cleared. Our house is a split foyer with ground floor windows. One end of the house daylights and there is a double door with a regular lock and glass windows in it. The property is surrounded by woods on 3 sides, the woods back up to farms. The front of the property faces the road and there are two houses in between our property and the road. You can see our house from the road. We did install a privacy fence along the front property line.

I have removed all large shrubs from around the house. The house on 3 sides has at least 100 yards clear before the woods line. The fourth side of the house (the side with the double basement door) only has about 10 yards before the woods line. I am most concerned about that door and the ground floor windows. I have purchased that sticky plastic to put on the ground floor windows that is supposed to make them harder to break through. We have put deadbolts on the front and back door but I am not sure how to handle the double door in the basement.

We do have a large german shepherd and a border collie that free roams the house.

We have guns but they are locked up in a cabinet in our MB closet. We have a child that though we have been teaching about guns and safety and proper usage, because of special needs and the issues that go with it, I don't feel safe not locking the guns up unless we are using them.

I am trying to be as grey man as possible. I don't want to call attention to the fact that we are preppers. I don't trust my neighbors in front of us. Neither seem to be well suited to surviving turmoil.

Any ideas you have for me to beef up my security would be most welcomed, just short of @Slippy pikes that is. I don't think they are necessary just yet.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

The Dogs are a good tool. They will know if anyone is around long before you do. Learn to read them and do not discount their actions. The fence works both way keeps eyes out but also limits your view . Toss up sometimes. Range marker little item placed at know distances. They will help you when trying to tell others where you see something and also should you need to shoot. No one should know you home or property better than you. Learn to walk it in the dark feel your way around. Make sure "you" can see the markers in the dark.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 05-12-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

My suggestion would be to do everything in your power to befriend your neighbors. It will be exceedingly hard to survive a severe crisis if you don't know and trust your neighbors. I too have neighbors close by and plan accordingly, which means stocking addition food stores for them... without them knowing. The way I see it, during a crisis, if you are prepared and they aren't, are you willing to let then die while you eat? Even if yes, you really think they are gonna quietly die and not try to do something about it? If they are hungry & you are not, they become a threat... a threat you really can't do anything about as they live there. That means at any time, you could be taken out.

IMO, the best security is group security... especially for folks like us living a rural life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

A couple of things to consider;
    I have bars on all ground floor windows. This is a double edged sword. Bars keep bad guys out but also keep you inside in a fire.
    I am gradually replacing older windows with new 3-m impact resistant windows.
    All exterior doors are steel with upgraded locksets and deadbolts keyed inside and outside. Door armor kits on all hinges and strike plate areas.
    In addition, I have hardware and supplies stored to install removable 2x4 cross braces on all doors. Since this is unsightly and extreme, I have this prep stored for installation and use in an extreme circumstance. This may be an answer to your double door problem. Or get rid of the double door and install a conventional single door.

@Green Lilly

First some questions please.

1. Are you wanting to protect your house in today's world only or are you concerned about being prepared for all out chaos? Or both?

2. Brick Home?

3. If you are concerned about extreme chaos, how many adults will hunker down with you?
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

In the meantime, let's focus on the windows.

Consider purchasing Hurricane Clips.
    I just bought a pack of 50 clips for about $20 from Ace Hardware. It takes 4 clips to hold a piece of plywood in a window.

The beauty is they just snap into the window but it takes two people, one screwdriver (for prying free) and a lot of cuss words to remove.
    In an attack, I don't see John Wayne setting his gun down to gorilla the plywood loose.

If you use plywood, I suggest you use the cheapest, 1/2 inch. All you are trying to do is prevent entry and sight into the home.

Leave the plywood two inches above the bottom of the window. This will allow you to raise the window and fire through the gap.
    When not firing set a 2 X 6 in the window ledge to prevent peeking in.

Leave a large gap at the top for sunshine.

Total Cost per Window, assuming you use a half sheet of cheap OSB plywood: $10 Each

If you use boards (2 X 6s), screw a strip of 1/2 inch plywood over both ends so you can use the hurricane clips to hold them in the windows.
    (Intruders will never notice the odd combination).

Put up enough boards to discourage an intruder from attempting entry.

Be sure to leave a small gap at the bottom for firing.

Note: The panels can be cut and numbered in advance of time needed.

Note II: Although I have never been in combat, I am told that with the adrenaline rush you lose your finger dexterity.
    Therefore, no intruder will be able to come back with a screwdriver and remove those little damn clips.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 05-12-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    Green Lilly and Hemi45 like this.

Simple Door Strengthening, Part I

On all single exterior doors:

1. Replace all hinge and door striker screws with longer screws.

2. Install two Door Flip Locks on each door, one a foot above and one a foot below the doorknob.

This will give you 3 hinges on one side and three 3 strong points on the other side.

Total cost of the above per door: $12

3. If the door has a lot of glass on it screw plywood over it.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 05-12-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    Green Lilly likes this.

Your not going to keep people out of your house by boarding up openings. If the thugs are that determined to get in they will. There are so many easy ways to bust down a wall, door or boarded up window. If not a simple match will burn you out, even if out of frustration. That being said I wouldn't waste to much time or resources on this.

Get the guns out of the locked safe or cabinet. Last thing you need is to fight through a locked cabinet when an emergency happens. Those are your life savers and best defense.

If your neighbors are not a asset you can count on, then you have to consider them a threat. Sure it sucks to have to think that way but make your decision now before the time comes to act. Don't even think about prepping for them.
    Slippy, Smitty901 and Green Lilly like this.

I would suggest a good security system, and use it. As well, harden your doors and windows. I have planted thorny bushes in front of low windows to impede entry. Security film works well. Also in along the fence line in places I think is easy to climb I have planted thorny shrubs and roses. Make your home appear like a hard target. Security lights, alarm system, dogs, timed lights in the house etc. You want intruders to think your home is to hard to deal with. In general they will take the path of least resistance and look for an easier target. Now, if they want in, and are determined, they will get in. Limit the time they will be in your house if they do gain access. loud alarms, security camera's, dogs, and valuables in safes. Be prepared to defend you and your family with firearms. Don't think you will have time to get into a safe when something goes bad. Once there in they won't give you the opportunity. I don't have kids so I don't have to worry about strategically placed firearms. Anywhere in my house I am not more then a few steps from a gun, if not closer.

Grid down, the game plane changes. Think razor and barbed wire, fields of fire, lethal traps, egress and ingress points, firing advantages, booby traps, etc. No your distances for ranging your fire. Regularly patrol the woods around your house. Look for observation points, trampled grass, and prints, anything that shouldn't be there. Grid down, WROL, you will pay a dear price to get to my house, let alone get in.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Green Lilly,

Glad you are interested in your Security and rest assured when you are ready, Slippy Pikes will be there for you! Matter of fact, we are currently in construction of our first discount outlet store on the East Coast called Pike-R-Us! Remember, during these difficult and trying times, WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER!

First, the dogs are a great start and your breeds are great breeds for security. Certainly the German Shepherd! The Border Collie, depending on its level of craziness may or may not be! I say this in jest because I have owned both breeds! Anyway, the dogs are your first line of defense.

Gates are also a good line of defense. Sure, if someone is intent on committing a crime a gate probably won't stop them, but the casual idiot out with his friends being stupid, might be unwilling to breach a gate.

A RING doorbell surveillance system is also a good security measure. Again, if someone is intent on bad shit, then they can probably take out your electricity and internet, but its a line of defense you might consider. Also a hardwired security camera. Signs are also something that you can consider. I've got a couple of signs on the road to Slippy Lodge that advertise the fact that surveillance cameras are in use. They are on electrical power poles.
    Are there really cameras, or not? Well thats the point..."Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?" (Get what I mean? )

I get where you are coming from in regards to having a child who may not quite understand firearm safety, but you should really consider some way to access your defense weapons quickly while under pressure.

Bushes with thorns under or in front of windows may also be a detterent or give you a few extra moments to get your defense weapon. Same goes for the "old nails through a piece of lumber placed under windows". Again, it may not stop an intruder but when they step on the nails, you'll know it!

But I agree with what @Chipper said, if someone really wants to break in, they can. I debate with myself often about leaving our doors unlocked when we leave town for a short time. If someone were to come down to Slippy Lodge and break in, why have to replace an expensive door or window? But then again, I have a few "booby traps" inside that will make it uncomfortable to attempt to steal certain things!

Other than that, don't go around town advertising the fact that you keep a million dollars in ones lying around the kitchen table and most likely you should be OK. Good luck!

And remember, Slippy Pikes will be there when you need us!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    Good morning group. Hope this post finds everyone well and in good health.

In my continued effort to beef up my preparedness I have started looking more at security around my home. It is something that I have thought about but still don't feel like I have the best handle on. If you had seen me 15 years ago I would have probably been the least secure person on earth. I married a Navy boy and have since gotten over the fear of guns in the house.

Let me start by telling you what I have going on and hopefully you guys will have some critiques or tips you can share with me to help me keep my family more secure.

As a general description we live on 6 acres now with about 2 cleared. Our house is a split foyer with ground floor windows. One end of the house daylights and there is a double door with a regular lock and glass windows in it. The property is surrounded by woods on 3 sides, the woods back up to farms. The front of the property faces the road and there are two houses in between our property and the road. You can see our house from the road. We did install a privacy fence along the front property line.

I have removed all large shrubs from around the house. The house on 3 sides has at least 100 yards clear before the woods line. The fourth side of the house (the side with the double basement door) only has about 10 yards before the woods line. I am most concerned about that door and the ground floor windows. I have purchased that sticky plastic to put on the ground floor windows that is supposed to make them harder to break through. We have put deadbolts on the front and back door but I am not sure how to handle the double door in the basement.

We do have a large german shepherd and a border collie that free roams the house.

We have guns but they are locked up in a cabinet in our MB closet. We have a child that though we have been teaching about guns and safety and proper usage, because of special needs and the issues that go with it, I don't feel safe not locking the guns up unless we are using them.

I am trying to be as grey man as possible. I don't want to call attention to the fact that we are preppers. I don't trust my neighbors in front of us. Neither seem to be well suited to surviving turmoil.

Any ideas you have for me to beef up my security would be most welcomed, just short of @Slippy pikes that is. I don't think they are necessary just yet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links