When to Bug Out
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

When to Bug Out

This is a discussion on When to Bug Out within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm new to this whole prepping/survival thing, so please forgive me if my questions sound very beginner level. How do you know when it's time ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: When to Bug Out

When to Bug Out

I'm new to this whole prepping/survival thing, so please forgive me if my questions sound very beginner level. How do you know when it's time to leave one location for another one? I mean how bad would it have to be for you to "bug out." Do you stay only until you can no longer stay in that location or do you leave earlier when you can predict shit starting to hit the fan? How do you choose your bug out location? Or do you choose one at all? Or choose several?

Where I am now is my last stand. I do not bug out. There is no reason to and if it becomes untenable where I am, it will only be worse anywhere I might go.
    Bcat, SRU Viper, Chipper and 9 others like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Where I am now is my last stand. I do not bug out. There is no reason to and if it becomes untenable where I am, it will only be worse anywhere I might go.
    Ditto, here.
    Bcat, stevekozak and SOCOM42 like this.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I’m with them ^^^
    Bcat and stevekozak like this.

have several so that you can ensure a plan in case you cant get to choice a or b bug out land. I keep my finger on the pulse. Im gonna sit until i cant, but the land is 10 miles from here and i have option 2 is 5 miles and option 3 is 400 miles-
    Its hard to say depends if you are city or burbs. pay attention, but i think the city block off lock down will be done in the still of the night and you wake up to it... I wish i had more info to share with you and welcome,bcat
    Bcat, stevekozak and Slippy like this.

Thanks for the welcome Shotlady and the info! I'm in CA too.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    What he said...
    stevekozak, Bcat and Slippy like this.

Get out before martial law. That has a high chance of turning into a mini warzone, and you want to be well away from it beforehand. Watch for riots. They will spur on the aggressive response. That's your queue to quickly and quietly slip out to safer pastures. Have a plan, and be sure you're welcome where you're going.
    Bcat likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I'd leave only if it's the better option. Home is well-stocked and well armed. Familiar turf. Home field advantage. Bugging out means leaving all that behind. There'd better be a damned good reason to do so.

But here's my philosophy on the term 'bugging out'; It's not always the end of the world. Anarchy, marauders, WROL, angry mobs, natural disasters, breakdown of society.... these are the things that many people think trigger one's bugging out. To me, bugging out simply means you leave one place and move to another simply for safety. By this definition, leaving the golf course because you see lightning is bugging out. Pulling off the interstate highway and sheltering in a rest-stop restroom during a tornado is bugging out.

So given that, I've 'bugged out' twice. Once when a high-pressure gas line was damaged just a block from my house. I grabbed the BOB, hiked the back way to the local YMCA (which was the designated shelter), spent a couple hours playing cribbage with total strangers, then hoofed it back home after the leak was fixed. The other time was I got word that a chemical spill on a rail line near my house had the area closed. I was about to head home, but instead went to a friends' house. I knew where the key was hidden, let myself in and waited for my friend to get home from work. By the time he did, I saw on the news that things were cleaned up and it was safe again. But not wanting to waste the opportunity, when my friend got home we grabbed some boomsticks and freedom seeds and put some holes in paper. When done, we went back to his place where his wife had grilled up some critter carcasses. I could have gone home mid-afternoon, but it was close to 11 before I rolled in.

Who says buggin' out can't be fun?
    Bcat, Slippy, MountainGirl and 1 others like this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    Hidden Content . Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    I acquired a bullet hole in my drivers side door last week, if I get another one, we are out of here......
    Bcat, watcher and bigz1983 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links