Gray Foxes in my neck of suburbia
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Gray Foxes in my neck of suburbia within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Well, My wife caught two coming in our backyard in the middle of the day. Ran right up on our porch. My wife ran out ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Gray Foxes in my neck of suburbia

Well, My wife caught two coming in our backyard in the middle of the day. Ran right up on our porch. My wife ran out to see if our cat was okay. One fox ran fast out of there. The other did the slow movement backwards, thinking my wife wouldnt see it. Then my wife started towards it, and it ran off.
    But now, more and more people are reporting foxes on our community forum, on Facebook.
    I cant shoot them unless they pose a threat, and dont really want to try a trap.
    Any suggestions? If my wife wasnt there, I would lay in the shed, with my 300BLK suppressed and wait.. Then bag them and get rid of them..
    My cat is 14 years old, and wont come in house, but she is staying out of her shed.. So, I may bug bomb the shed, clean it, and just use a motion camera to see the real problem.
    I will be home Sunday from Japan.
    Again, Suggestions to get rid of these varmints.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Foxes are good. They keep rodents down. Unless rabies leave them alone. Coyotes are worse + 10

Maybe you have some mice, under porch?

They don't bother cats unless cat is young, or not in good condition. My old cat went after a black bear....bear was WTF? Bear left....

I am concerned for my cat. She has arthrits, but is a scrapper..
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Like Mad Trapper said, check for mice...and rabbits and get rid of them if you can. Also, the foxes may be coming in to get any wild berries that may be growing on your property or birds if you have some bird houses or feeders.

I have no bird feeders or fruits/berries. I will check my neighbors. Well, I do have the grapes from South Carolina. Not really edible.
    But, I know we have had allot of housing developments about 10 miles away..
    A few months ago, I saw a red fox walking down the street. Twice in a week. I heard thats rare. He was not intimidated at me when I took photos. at 5 am.

I also live in a suburban area, and a few times my neighbors and myself have seen red foxes. In fact, I had to stop one night in front of our church to let three doe cross the street. There is a large insurance complex near my home that has a huge forested area. I think the wildlife cross the street to get to there.
    Steve40th likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Foxes are good. They keep rodents down. Unless rabies leave them alone. Coyotes are worse + 10

Maybe you have some mice, under porch?

They don't bother cats unless cat is young, or not in good condition. My old cat went after a black bear....bear was WTF? Bear left....
    I hear you about the coyotes. In a nearby school, they had to put a big fence up around the play yard. Parents were afraid a coyotes would come along and drag one of the children off.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

The Good Cop

Grey foxes are no threat to your cat.
    Over the years we have had both grey and red foxes in the woods around our farm. They don't bother our chickens.
    I practice live and let live - wild life that doesn't bother us, we leave alone.

NOW, what could be a problem is the very rare chance you encounter a rabid fox. Very rare, and certainly not worth killing all the foxes, but be alert.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Grey foxes are no threat to your cat.
    Over the years we have had both grey and red foxes in the woods around our farm. They don't bother our chickens.
    I practice live and let live - wild life that doesn't bother us, we leave alone.

NOW, what could be a problem is the very rare chance you encounter a rabid fox. Very rare, and certainly not worth killing all the foxes, but be alert.
    Well put RPD.

We had a couple of red foxes chase out a bobcat. I think the bobcat was too close to the foxes den. It was fun to watch, bobcat was a big male, twice the size of the foxes.

Concerning rabid, only one I encountered was a woodchuck. He was out in day and did not run, middle of a field. Checking field before mowing for obstructions. On way back I grabbed a ~4ft hardwood branch. Chuck was still there and went after me, WHOOMPH!!! I don't think crows get rabies?
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.

Who determines what or who a threat is?? Did the second fox not show some aggression by not running off. That's a text book bang flop in my world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links