Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Gray Foxes in my neck of suburbia

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  1skrewsloose 
#1 ·
Well, My wife caught two coming in our backyard in the middle of the day. Ran right up on our porch. My wife ran out to see if our cat was okay. One fox ran fast out of there. The other did the slow movement backwards, thinking my wife wouldnt see it. Then my wife started towards it, and it ran off.
But now, more and more people are reporting foxes on our community forum, on Facebook.
I cant shoot them unless they pose a threat, and dont really want to try a trap.
Any suggestions? If my wife wasnt there, I would lay in the shed, with my 300BLK suppressed and wait.. Then bag them and get rid of them..
My cat is 14 years old, and wont come in house, but she is staying out of her shed.. So, I may bug bomb the shed, clean it, and just use a motion camera to see the real problem.
I will be home Sunday from Japan.
Again, Suggestions to get rid of these varmints.

#5 ·
I have no bird feeders or fruits/berries. I will check my neighbors. Well, I do have the grapes from South Carolina. Not really edible.
But, I know we have had allot of housing developments about 10 miles away..
A few months ago, I saw a red fox walking down the street. Twice in a week. I heard thats rare. He was not intimidated at me when I took photos. at 5 am.

#6 ·
I also live in a suburban area, and a few times my neighbors and myself have seen red foxes. In fact, I had to stop one night in front of our church to let three doe cross the street. There is a large insurance complex near my home that has a huge forested area. I think the wildlife cross the street to get to there.

#8 ·
Grey foxes are no threat to your cat.
Over the years we have had both grey and red foxes in the woods around our farm. They don't bother our chickens.
I practice live and let live - wild life that doesn't bother us, we leave alone.

NOW, what could be a problem is the very rare chance you encounter a rabid fox. Very rare, and certainly not worth killing all the foxes, but be alert.

#9 ·
Well put RPD.

We had a couple of red foxes chase out a bobcat. I think the bobcat was too close to the foxes den. It was fun to watch, bobcat was a big male, twice the size of the foxes.

Concerning rabid, only one I encountered was a woodchuck. He was out in day and did not run, middle of a field. Checking field before mowing for obstructions. On way back I grabbed a ~4ft hardwood branch. Chuck was still there and went after me, WHOOMPH!!! I don't think crows get rabies?

#12 ·
My wife said it was more like it was trying to move slow, as to make my wife think she couldn't see it. No teeth, nothing threatening. That was her take on it..

Reactions: rice paddy daddy
#13 ·
We have foxes in my neighborhood, they generally won't mess with cats because cats are a pretty good match for them in a fight. They help keep the rabbit and rodent population down, so I let them live in peace. Now opossums on the other hand, I despise, I don't care how beneficial people claim they are.

#20 ·
Possums are hell if you keep chickens. Small ones eat the eggs, big ones kill the hens.
They also carry a disease that is fatal for horses, it's in their excrement and horses can ingest it while grazing.
Since we have chickens and horses, any possum on the property is eliminated.

Reactions: Deebo and jimb1972
#14 ·
I enjoy wildlife, no matter what species. When we first moved out to become "suburbia," we had doe crossing the street. Then it dwindled down to squirrels and rabbits after the area got over-populated. I've seen a red fox in my yard, but I believe he was just trying to cross the street to get into the tree-lined expanse belonging to a large insurance complex.

I wouldn't care if there were opossums and foxes still walking about. We have a dense, tree and green-space next to our property, and it would be a good place for wildlife to inhabit.

#22 ·
If you have burrowing varmint problems and you can't shoot or trap them, these "bombs " work great.

I have problems with woodchucks across the road, they use a culvert to cross the road and come visit my vegetable garden. The holes are in an overgrown area with so many holes looks like a Prairie dog community. Too close to the road and other houses to shoot them, but if they are on my property they do get shot.

Every couple of years I have to go across the street and thin them out. If the holes have multiple outlets, shovel up all but one, then toss a bomb down and close off that one.

They are also a good alternative to shooting/trapping skunks, the skunk is underground so no smell at all.

Font Electric blue Publication Brand Advertising

#24 ·
Yes, the foxes here patrol looking for small rodents and rabbits. I see fresh tracks almost daily in the tilled dirt of my garden.

Coyotes do the same but can get too aggressive if you have livestock, small pets ,or small children.

When I mow my fields there are a couple of coyotes that follow my tractor. When mice or rabbits get kicked up they devour them. There is a redtail hawk that does the same thing, perching in a treetop looking to snag a meal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.