Blackout NYC 2019: Scenes from power outage on anniversary of 1977 blackout
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Blackout NYC 2019: Scenes from power outage on anniversary of 1977 blackout within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Oooh, man. I don't want to be in NYC when the lights go out. Bad news. I have family there, and will try to get ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Annie
  • 3 Post By Chipper
  • 2 Post By Mad Trapper

Thread: Blackout NYC 2019: Scenes from power outage on anniversary of 1977 blackout

Super Moderator

Oooh, man. I don't want to be in NYC when the lights go out. Bad news. I have family there, and will try to get in touch.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/13/n...er-outage.html
    A power failure plunged a stretch of the West Side of Manhattan into darkness on Saturday night, trapping thousands of people in subways and elevators for a time, leaving drivers to fend for themselves at intersections with no traffic signals and eerily dimming the lights of a swath of Times Square.

Stores emptied out, and Broadway shows did not go on: Most theaters canceled their performances. In restaurants and bars, people drank by the light of their smartphones.

Con Edison said that the power failed at 6:47 p.m. and that 73,000 customers were in the dark for at least two hours, mainly on the West Side. The Fire Department said the failures stretched from 72nd Street to the West 40s, and from Fifth Avenue to the Hudson River.

Shortly after 10:30 p.m., Con Edison announced that six power networks had been knocked out, but that five had been restored.

Just a harbinger of things to come, . . .

Wait until it's not just electric, . . . but water as well, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Natural gas in the winter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Holy cow. I missed this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Natural gas in the winter.
    Wood.

All set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blackout NYC 2019: Scenes from power outage on anniversary of 1977 blackout-dsc02218.jpg  

I have about 2 cord of 3-4 year old stuff stacked/covered by the house. My inside rack holds ~ 1/2 cord, kindling goes on top. The heating stove takes 26" splits and door is ~14" X 14"

The rest is stacked/covered but still in the woods. I use old lumber covers for that and stack single rows as high as I can (5-6 '), it dries out well that way. I just need to move it before snow flies.

I'm fortunate to have a woodlot of hardwoods that I only need to cut up the blowdowns or standing dead stuff to keep me supplied. Most of that is already 3/4 dry.

If I was still young, I could sell cordwood. I remember selling seasoned hardwood cordwood for $40 a cord delivered.

Problem with gas or oil if power goes out you still need electric to get it going and/or run blowers. Fine if you've got a generator tied into house electric.

I have oil backup and keep the tank pretty full, but it don't get used. For lights I have lots of old oil lamps. And some led solars.

I also have an old Glenwood cook stove that used to be my grandmothers, it's a porcelain beauty It has two gas burners and the rest is wood. I need to fix an un used chimney and get the burners set up for propane, for use. That puts out heat too if you are running the wood.

It used to be my job to get up early, fire the wood cook stove, put on water for coffee/tea, and make some toast on the stove top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blackout NYC 2019: Scenes from power outage on anniversary of 1977 blackout-wood-rack.jpg  

Last edited by Mad Trapper; 07-14-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    NewRiverGeorge and Marica like this.

Sponsored Links