Clandestine Chickens - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clandestine Chickens

This is a discussion on Clandestine Chickens within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Annie A friend of mine once told me a story about someone she knew who kept the pig in her basement. This ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Clandestine Chickens

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    A friend of mine once told me a story about someone she knew who kept the pig in her basement. This person had a trapdoor in their kitchen and would toss the scraps down cellar to the pig.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Y'all from West Virginia?
    Boss Dog likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Y'all from West Virginia?
    No, it was Jersey. I kid you not.
    hawgrider likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

Why? Too messy?
    Ever worked on a farm and cleaned a neglected coop or pig pen?

Pigs are pretty good and will crap in one place unless things get out of hand. Chickens, nope.

We had a nice chicken coop , with lots of windows , and little doors the birds could go out each day. Needed to get them back inside at night, because of weasels, coons, skunks, fishers.

Chickens don't do well without lots of sunshine, and they do better eating stuff outside.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 06-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    'Taint Worth It.

Our Prepper group has lots of chickens that can be free ranged in time of activation after the chicken food runs out. We have no roosters as they make too much noise. When a hen lays she brags but we don't have neighbors close enough to hear them. That is our plan.

We built a rabbit barn with 15 does and bucks to began producing meat. But we then discovered we could not store enough rabbit food to produce lots of rabbits that would take many months to become dinner. We could not free range them like the chickens because they would not come home at nights as the hens would. So we abandoned that project and gave away the cages & equipment.

Here was our deliberate reasoning once we came to our senses. Eggs are sentimental. So too with rabbits, unless you are planning for an Adam & Eve long term event.

What we really wanted was protein. That is the real goal.

The cheapest way to get protein is rice and about 7 ounces (half a can) of beans within 8 hours of each other (or in one meal), each day. This allows the rice to then become protein. That is why most of the world lives on that stuff! You can buy red, kidney, black, pinto or other canned beans in any of the Dollar stores for about $0.70 per can. This is better than dry beans because anything in a can is fully cooked and requires no energy to eat it, whereas it takes at least an hour and a half to cook dry beans. You do the fuel costs.

So here is the kicker. While you are in the Dollar stores, you can purchase a one pound canned ham (Bristle brand I believe) for $3.00. That meat is cheaper than raising chickens or rabbits for meat! Plus it too is fully cooked.

Therefore, for us the chickens and eggs will be for fun. But the protein for our estimated stay is next to the forks and can opener, after a lot of trial and error. This looked better than running out into the night half asleep and dying to protect the chicken coop. Cans are quiet.

See: Sam’s Club / Costco Type Food For Members.

See Also: Rice Insurance
    Let the chickens out to play and they will get plenty of protein eating insects, slugs, worms, ticks, seeds....... Just be wary of daytime predators like hawks.

How much rice and beans you growing?

Rice don't work for me, I grow potatoes, put in a hundred this year. Beans grow fine.

I left some pole beans up last fall. In cold northeast the leftover seed pods seeded all the places in. I'd of thought frost /cold would have killed them.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 06-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.

A friend of mine once told me a story about someone she knew who kept the pig in her basement. This person had a trapdoor in their kitchen and would toss the scraps down cellar to the pig.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Should work just great if you can train the pigs to toss their poop up the stairs, huh?
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

For all you northerners who aint been keeping up .... there is a reason we call them yard birds!
    hawgrider likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    For all you northerners who aint been keeping up .... there is a reason we call them yard birds!
    Whoa there... wait a second... I may live near the 45th parallel but I ain't no northerner!
    A Watchman and Slippy like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Yes need to keep them out even if you loose a few. But keep up fencing/coops for night. Weasels are evil. Hawks can be worse and owls too.

P.S. You getting the "tourists" the Mexicans sending much "loafer/worker? Even in Northeast we are seeing lots but not in the hills, no free $#!T there.

SOBs are taking no-tax jobs and doing no-tax work for < locals. Most are BIGGER companies that the CEO and administration should be in "CROW BAR HOTEL"

The Good Cop

Annie asked about making the investment back in eggs.
    We keep between 40 and 50 hens and roos, and average feeding 300 pounds of layer pellets per month, at around $15 per 50 pound sack.
    We no not sell eggs, too much chance for government interference. We do get an average of two dozen eggs per day. What we don’t eat we give to friends who help us. Not an “official “ barter system, just returning the favor. Give us fresh vegetables, get fresh eggs, for example.

We have been keeping chickens for over 20 years. Why? Once you have had eggs from REAL free range, well fed chickens, you can see the difference between those and the mass produced “product” sold in stores.
    We do not butcher them after they are done laying, it is just too much work. Although we have in the past and could again.
    hawgrider likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links