What is your emergency water supply in case of a failure of your current system? - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What is your emergency water supply in case of a failure of your current system?

This is a discussion on What is your emergency water supply in case of a failure of your current system? within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We plan to distill what we need for drinking and cooking. I am on a RO, so we only get 3 gallons of water per ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is your emergency water supply in case of a failure of your current system?

We plan to distill what we need for drinking and cooking. I am on a RO, so we only get 3 gallons of water per day from it any way. Until I can afford a Bison hand pump, we are using an amish well bucket as our emergency back up, and then distilling the water using a pressure cooker and Vortex distiller. I had to get a rocket stove to use the pressure cooker on. :/ Boiling our water would only make the nitrate level worse, and it is already over twice the safe water drinking level. We are our in 'pristine' farm country.
    SquirrelBait likes this.

Just bottled water (120L), and some iodine and chlorine for purification of other sources I may find.

I live a few blocks from a river, I have nearly three months worth of stored drinking water, And a Berkey.

I will be putting some silver and copper coins in the bottom of the Berkey to keep the water from stagnating. The silver and copper generate a mild charge that will hamper growth of the little nasties.

Edit: I forgot to mention the filter straw I carry in my daily carry bag...Ooops!
    Last edited by SquirrelBait; 06-09-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Brain Cramp
    Arklatex likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

100 gallons in 15 and 30 gal barrels, + 20 individual gallons in the house + 1 gal in each of our "get home" bags. Then we have 13,000 gal. capacity in rain water catchment off our house and barn roof areas. Even though the large tanks will only fill twice a year with our whopping 6 inches of annual rainfall (at our house), the capacity is adequate with two fillings per year - summer and winter. Filter through a biosand system and then use UV sunlight to sterilize. (Glass bottles of water on a shiny piece of corregated roofing will be sterilized after 8 hours in the sun.) I have backup Katadyne filters, but hopefully only for use in bug out situations. Boiling is last resort, as fuel will be precious.

BOL has 300 ft. private well. Should we lose ability to pump from the well (ie: no gas for generator) then there is a spring 1 mile away. The mules will haul water in 7 gallon containers - one on each side. 3 mules X 14 gal = 42 gal. per trip. 2 trips per day will supply enough water for family and mules.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Sponsored Links