Neighborhood Crime Watch Programs - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Neighborhood Crime Watch Programs

This is a discussion on Neighborhood Crime Watch Programs within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Inor There was a "watchdog" group in our neighborhood when we lived in suburbia Minnesota. That one was mostly a political stepping ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Neighborhood Crime Watch Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    There was a "watchdog" group in our neighborhood when we lived in suburbia Minnesota. That one was mostly a political stepping stone that people used to get elected to the school board. The school board was a political stepping stone democrats used to get elected to state office.

Now that we are in rural Arizona, there is no "watchdog" group. But folks do watch out for each other, just because that is what neighbors do (as Squatch said). It is crazy! In the 9 months we have been staying at our build house, we have been invited to many times more BBQs, yard parties and get togethers than we ever were in over 21 years in our house in MN. And the folks here just want to get to know us well enough so they know what to look out for on our land and let us know what to look out for on theirs.

At first I thought they were nosey. They are not. Then I thought they were going to hassle us about living like white trash rednecks. They don't. As near as I can tell, they just want to know us well enough to know what is normal and what is not...
    Inor, so glad you have found home.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Neighborhood watch groups all seem to start of with the best intentions. As an officer who had to answer MANY calls from them, I can tell you they often devolve into little cliques of people who want to play cop or to try to "enforce" some sort of control onto neighbors who are not part of the group. We would even get calls from people who were NOT part of the neighborhood watch complaining about watch members knocking on doors late at night to issue "warnings" about dogs barking, cars parked "illegally" and even making threats to have them towed !?! None of which were within their purview as a neighborhood watch. Hell...the towing wasn't even within the scope of authority of the department.

So...approach a neighborhood watch with great caution.

A far better plan is to try to get to know your immediate neighbors and form some sort of positive relationship with them. That way, you know what is out of place, who is out of place, and what is not in their "normal" and they will get to know what is in and out of yours.
    bigwheel likes this.
    ONLY THE INFERIOR STRIVE FOR EQUALITY

IF YOU CAN'T BE SAFE...BE DANGEROUS

The Good Cop

We moved to the country to get away from nosey Crime Watch people, and HOA's.
    Home Owners Associations are the spawn of the Devil. Little Nazi's. Himmler and Hitler would be proud.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    We moved to the country to get away from nosey Crime Watch people, and HOA's.
    Home Owners Associations are the spawn of the Devil. Little Nazi's. Himmler and Hitler would be proud.
    We live on 100 acres of desert heaven in our primary residence...and our only neighbor is one and one half miles away.

Our other home is in the mountains of northern Arizona on 300 acres...and our closest neighbor is nearly a mile away.

I like that.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Well thanks for the input on that. Im supposed to go to the four hour training session in August...but think I done chickened out. We stay pretty tight with most of the neighbors..say most cause the lady next door sold out a month or so ago to a couple where he is a Palestinian and shes an American. Making me nervous..he hasnt caused any problems yet but ya just never know about those devils.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S LaTrans View Post
    We live on 100 acres of desert heaven in our primary residence...and our only neighbor is one and one half miles away.

Our other home is in the mountains of northern Arizona on 300 acres...and our closest neighbor is nearly a mile away.

I like that.
    The one big problem where we are is both of the closest emergency rooms are both over one hour away.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Thats rough for seasoned citizens. Wife got elderly kin who moved to the boon docks to retire about 20 years ago..now they are in the 80s and sickly. Still way too far to the ER the store etc. Everybody needs to live in big towns. lol. We are five mins to anything.

Seems wherever I live anymore these days I am the neighborhood watch.
    Most everyone around me is the close the blinds and check that the door is locked type when they hear something. I'm the guy outside letting the undesirables know that it would be in their best interest to move on.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    The one big problem where we are is both of the closest emergency rooms are both over one hour away.
    My wife is a trauma surgeon. I was cross trained as a medic on our SWAT team a hundred years ago. We have a bunch of US Army trauma kits. It lessens the impact of ER distance...provided she is home. But in actuality...there is an urgent care within 30 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links