Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

"Zombie apocolypse would collapse after just one week"

14K views 84 replies 54 participants last post by  James m 
#1 ·
#42 ·
Biggest reason in regards to the whole, Walking Dead or traditional style zombie not being eaten by animals would be likely due to the fact that they'd carry so much bacteria. The author of the Walking Dead actually explained that a bite or scratch isn't what kills you, but the cocktail of diseases and bacteria they carry, which would keep most animals away from them.

#43 ·
I don't know why people in zombie movies/TV shows don't just find a good sized houseboat or cabin cruiser, stock it with all the supplies they can scavenge and head for the middle of a deep lake or pond.

Zombies, if they existed, couldn't breed. They couldn't farm or grow food for themselves (most zombie fiction limits zombie diets to freshly killed animal/human protein). They couldn't sustain their numbers indefinitely. A Zombie invasion would burn itself out very quickly.

The most annoying thing about most zombie fiction is that the writers completely underestimate the number of guns and the amount of ammunition in private hands in many parts of the united states. A zombie apocalypse would last about 15 minutes in my neighborhood.

#45 ·
I don't know why people in zombie movies/TV shows don't just find a good sized houseboat or cabin cruiser, stock it with all the supplies they can scavenge and head for the middle of a deep lake or pond.

Zombies, if they existed, couldn't breed. They couldn't farm or grow food for themselves (most zombie fiction limits zombie diets to freshly killed animal/human protein). They couldn't sustain their numbers indefinitely. A Zombie invasion would burn itself out very quickly.

The most annoying thing about most zombie fiction is that the writers completely underestimate the number of guns and the amount of ammunition in private hands in many parts of the united states. A zombie apocalypse would last about 15 minutes in my neighborhood.
What kinda movie would that be? Partying on a boat till the zombie,s died off? Actually maybe a pretty good one .

#46 ·
What makes you think they will die off? If they are already dead, they could walk along the bottom of the oceans and climb up your anchor chain. Oh, oh, I got bite. Damn, is a biggin' one. Get the net and the gaff hook. Eah, what's that? Help me it's biting me! Help!
Worry about the real zombies, the ones who will come for your food, water and whatever else you've stashed away.

#47 · (Edited)
What makes you think they will die off? If they are already dead, they could walk along the bottom of the oceans and climb up your anchor chain. Oh, oh, I got bite. Damn, is a biggin' one. Get the net and the gaff hook. Eah, what's that? Help me it's bitingme! Help!
Worry about the real zombies, the ones who will come for your food, water and whatever else you've stashed away.[/QUOTE

All biological organisms are subject to the laws of physics. They must consume more energy (calories) than they expend or they will fail to maintain homeostasis and they will cease to function. Not even Zombies would be above the laws of physics.

Human populations have achieved such high densities because we have figured out how to grow/raise calorie rich food for ourselves with very little energy expenditure. Humans are the only apex predator on the planet capable of doing this. Other top predators are completely reliant on natural prey populations. As such, top predator populations are small compared to the general animal population. Zombies would occupy the top predator role in the ecosystem. Over time, the zombie population would come into equilibrium with the amount of energy available to it in the natural environment. There would be a mass zombie die off as the food resources within the environment began to wane. It could potentially take a while if zombies had slower metabolic rates than humans, but it WOULD invariably happen.

BTW, you're absolutely right about being worried about REAL zombies.

#52 ·
unfortunately the walking dead or world war Z zombies would never happen. the thugs and the marauders will be all around us during shtf and that is to be expected. the real threat would be the scary zombies. they all look alike because most of them wear the same clothes (uniform). some wear shiny metals on their chest (badges) and they are highly trained. there are lots of them. they have unlimited amount of food, fuel and ammo and they will be roaming around looking for you so they could put you in a place where you could be secured/controlled. if you resist them, you will be executed. so during shtf, avoid these zombies. be mindful that you may see what appears to be a zombie, but in reality he/she may not be infected. those are the ones that could be useful to you.

#53 ·
In one episode of the Walking Dead they had one guy kill another because he wanted the bed the guy was sleeping on. Yes it's just a show but I don't think that type of behavior in a situation where the SHTF is not unlikely. Right now we have people killing other people over their shoes or cell phones. We have people killing other people for fun. What do you think will happen if people who are inclined to do things like this don't have to worry about getting arrested? Going back to the TV Show, yes the zombies posed a big threat but it seems to be that the bigger threats are from other people. The one group was doing alright in the prison they had taken over until another group decided that wanted it for themselves. It seems to me that once the initial confusion is over and people get organized, finding or creating a refuge from the zombies wouldn't be too difficult, it's other people you have to worry about.

#54 ·
A zombie apocalypse would burn out fairly quickly, if for no other reason than the natural environment could not sustain such a massive number of large carnivores. There simply isn't enough meat in the natural environment for a large number of zombies to survive long term. They would burn through their primary food source (people) and begin the process of starving to death. Once the number of zombies was down to sustainable levels within the environment, they would become very easy to eliminate.

Couple this with the fact that zombies can't breed...

#55 ·
What about "I Am Legend" based on a 1954 novel by Richard Matheson?

There are number differences between the book version of "I Am Legend" and the film version. In the book version Robert Neville’s (Will Smith's) adversaries are vampires, rather than zombies. But the mail thing here is that the critters are smart not just stumbling heaps of rotting flesh. That could have put an interesting spin on world war Z also.

#56 ·
What about "I Am Legend" based on a 1954 novel by Richard Matheson?

There are number differences between the book version of "I Am Legend" and the film version. In the book version Robert Neville's (Will Smith's) adversaries are vampires, rather than zombies. But the mail thing here is that the critters are smart not just stumbling heaps of rotting flesh. That could have put an interesting spin on world war Z also.
Hey, there was another version of I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson. It's the OMEGA MAN

This post has been deleted
#66 ·
I can tell you have never had a child and also have no view of a future after the SHTF. Children will be necessary to build a future. They are likely the single most important part of the human existance in the long term. I believe pregnant women and children will be treasured.

Reactions: kevincali and TG
This post has been deleted
#70 ·
I think you're both right. Pregnant women will be taken as well care of as we can post-SHTF, children will be very important, and I think it'll be because the infant mortality rate will be so high. It's sad, but it's likely.

I think it would be better to wait until after the main catastrophe had "settled," so to speak, but I don't think that'll be possible for everyone. I mean, how many people stockpile condoms? :lol: In that case, I would hope whatever group they're with will have enough humanity left to actually help her, instead of dumping her like quint suggested. (I think I'm glad he got nuked...)

That's my thoughts...

#75 ·
Zombies-as in the Hollywood version-for me will not exist, but zombies(small z) as in the sick, the addicted and the unprepared will definitely exist, just have to sit tight and hunker down until they have "shuffled off this mortal coil" of their illnesses, addictions and starvation and dehydration, should take about 1-3 months I reckon!!

#76 ·
I don't see Zombies in our future, and I do... If want to replace those zombies with HUNGRY people, than I can see that coming (and I Do) with in 9 months or less. Our food in the Super Markets are 90% GMO, which are slowly destroying our bodies. GMO crops don't produce as much as organic now, and GMO Crops are producing SUPER bugs Stunning Corn Comparison: GMO versus NON GMO - Moms Across America If you look at how much of the earth is being destroyed by our freaky weather Now there's a list that shows hundreds of BILLIONS OF ANIMAL AND SEA LIFE that have died in the past 4 years Mass Animal Deaths 2014 - Updated List of Worldwide Die Offs

Possible?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.