Which handguns will survive the nasty conditions of SHTF? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Which handguns will survive the nasty conditions of SHTF?

This is a discussion on Which handguns will survive the nasty conditions of SHTF? within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; SS revolver. When talking about harsh conditions, little or no maintenance/lubrication, over an extended period of time, it seems the obvious choice in handguns....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Which handguns will survive the nasty conditions of SHTF?

SS revolver. When talking about harsh conditions, little or no maintenance/lubrication, over an extended period of time, it seems the obvious choice in handguns.
    Suck it up buttercup.

Ruger P series many have been around a long time they have not turned to dust or vanished into thin air. My old P89 DC sat in a box for 15 years never touched until son got it out and found out how nice a full size it was. Now he has it.
    modfan and Medic33 like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Hey, @SOCOM42 , what is your opinion on the DLC coating (Diamond Like Coating, LOL) that Kahr uses on their stainless pistols?
    It is a nitride process which gives a good surface hardness.

There are several brand names for it, but all add carbon to the surface mix.

You have to be careful, that surface can gall based on the substrate.

Those guns are made 15 miles from me, and we use the same company for bluing!
    sideKahr and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If you look closely at a S&W revolver, you will see a slight difference in the color between the cylinder,

barrel and frame.

They are different steels, cylinder is darkest because it has the least nickel for strength,

barrel the whitest, more nickel.
    sideKahr and Slippy like this.

Any 1911 and any Glock.

I'd make the 1911 a .45 ACP, and the Glock a 9x19mm. If this is TEOTWAWKI, (or unless you're a bullet caster and reloader) ammunition choices might be limited. Those are the most common after the .38 SPL.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    All the votes for stainless guns got me doing a little research. Turns out S.S. isn't the corrosion king we thought it was; the sailing industry has known for a while.

The following is an excerpt from Brion Toss’s book “The Complete Rigger’s Apprentice — Tools and Techniques for Modern and Traditional Rigging” (International Marine; Camden, Maine 1998):

"Stainless steel...is susceptible to its own special form of decay: crevice corrosion, also known as oxygen starvation. Stainless steel contains significant amounts of chromium. When exposed to the atmosphere the surface oxidizes slightly and a thin film of chromium oxide forms, preventing any further oxidation. If exposed to water, salt or fresh, without the presence of air, this film will not form and the metal will corrode. If the water in question is salt water, the process is accelerated."

Grade SAE 316 is the stainless most resistant to corrosion and used in marine applications, but I can't discover if firearms are constructed from it. (They do use it for medical implants and to clad nuclear reactor fuel.)

Stainless Steel Corrosion, failure, care, oxidation, rusting, rust

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_grade_stainless
    That is from salt water and SS lasts much longer then non SS.
    Suck it up buttercup.

Oh, I forgot to add one thing. When it came to making my choice, I bought Kimber UC2.

They offer a .22LR kit. Field strip the .45 ACP, slide on the 22LR kit, and insert the .22LR magazines. I bought four of them because most stoppages are causes by the magazines.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Both are loaded with the now banned Black Talon.
    Nothing to add really to the thread and nothing personal to SOCOM42, but just wanted to attempt to clear up this longstanding urban legend. Black Talons were never banned. They were taken off the market due to bad publicity and replaced with the Ranger SXT. Which is pretty much identical except for the lack of the Lubalox coating which gave the bullet it's black color. The coating never gave the bullet any armor piercing capability but was just an oxidizer creating the color.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Medic33 likes this.

They were banned from sale here in this state.

I could not move any of the inventory on my shelves.

Just like the East German 7.62X39 which was also banned from sale leaving me with 30 cases of it.

However you are correct, the SXT is the same ammo minus the coating.
    BlackDog likes this.

Contrary to what many like to think the M9 held up very well to harsh condition and abuse. Wish they were made by an American owner company but fact is they took a lot of abuse.
    Medic33 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links