Looking for Recommendations on a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Looking for Recommendations on a Cast Iron Wood Stove within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Anyone have any suggestions on a good cast iron stove? My family once had a great antique stove, but my senile grandmother sold it years ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PrepConsultant

Thread: Looking for Recommendations on a Cast Iron Wood Stove

Anyone have any suggestions on a good cast iron stove? My family once had a great antique stove, but my senile grandmother sold it years ago for $25, without our knowledge. Short of hunting for years for another antique, (they simply don't make them like they used to) does anyone know of a really good quality, modern stove?
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

I know Lehman's carries them (very spendy). Check ebay.

Thanks MrsInor
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I've been looking and studying wood stoves for a couple of years and I have narrowed my search down to the Vermont Castings Aspen. But I spoke with a lot of people and went crazy with some reviews and the companies below all had some good models and reputations. I'm in the southeastern US so I don't need or want a large stove. Mine will go in a covered porch/sun room that we have and not in the main house if that makes sense. Good luck!

Vermont Castings | Stoves, Fireplaces and Grills | Home
    Stoves | Jøtul
    Buck Stove Corporation Home Page
    Last edited by Slippy; 01-19-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Several companies online sell them but they are kinda high like stated before.. Craigslist has some nice ones from time to time at some pretty good prices too.. When I am looking for something, I will even check my surrounding states and make a road trip for something I really want..
    dani likes this.
    Check out my blog Hidden Content Also SurvivingTheBreaks on Facebook.. My radio show will be goin live next week on Hidden Content so be sure to listen out.

If I had a small cabin that I built my self or something that is a weekend place I would do the installation myself. But with my main home, especially my forever home, I would defer to a professional for installation of the wood stove.

Contact a local fireplace dealer and get their opinion on stoves. They may give you a better deal on the stove if you use them for the install. Fire and Electrical things I tend to sub out! Ironically, my electrician was at my place last week doing some work for me and he had a couple of horror stories about some customers of his and their Do It Yourself Projects.

I know you probably have thought it thru but is your stove for your main home, or a weekend place like a retreat or lake home? Is the stove for you primary heat or secondary heat? Do you plan on cooking on the stove?

My stove is for secondary heat in a covered porch sun room. I'll do some minor cooking on it but it would be for emergencies and recreational use.

Cast iron stoves are fabricated in pieces and they bolt together. They require new seals occasionally and if you ever overheat them you will be using a lot of braided seal to get them to stop leaking smoke from every seam. A well built welded steel stove is a lot easier to live with and they produce the same heat as the cast iron stoves. Without fire brick liners they heat faster but they also cool down faster so decide what you want before getting it. I prefer a smaller welded steel stove without the liner because I can get it going fast and just keep the heat even by adding wood of the appropriate size. I will never own another cast iron stove - I have been through that twice and there is no comparison to a welded steel stove.

Look up Lehman's. They sell to the Amish folks. They have a web site.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

better buy soon and shop around EPA is getting in on the act and wants to make them Eco-friendly. That will not turn out good.
    Yes Lehman's sells some high end stuff. And get the hot water insert
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Thought that this article on the subject might be of some interest. EPA's Wood-Burning Stove Ban Has Chilling Consequences For Many Rural People - Forbes

"It seems that even wood isn’t green or renewable enough anymore. The EPA has recently banned the production and sale of 80 percent of America’s current wood-burning stoves, the oldest heating method known to mankind and mainstay of rural homes and many of our nation’s poorest residents."

This article came out on 1/29/2014. Your government at work to save you from yourself.

Sponsored Links