Review: Magpul B.A.D. Lever
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Review: Magpul B.A.D. Lever within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; I've always hated the stock AR-15 bolt catch. It's in an awkward position, is too small, and is just generally a pain in the ass ...

Mod Squad

I've always hated the stock AR-15 bolt catch. It's in an awkward position, is too small, and is just generally a pain in the ass to operate unless you are looking at it. The Magpul B.A.D. lever solves all these issues, makes for faster reloads, and is a worthy addition to any AR-type platform.

So I ordered one up from Amazon (about $35, free shipping) and was excited to get it in the mail today.

The B.A.D. lever (Battery Assist Device) is a 2 piece black anodized bolt catch extension that clamps onto your stock bolt catch, goes down the left side of your lower, then turns to go through your trigger guard. This allows you to operate the bolt catch with your trigger finger without your right hand leaving the pistol grip... sweet!

In theory, it's easy to install. Just slide the back piece under your ping pong paddle (bolt catch), put the other piece on top, and screw them together with the supplied torx screw. They even include the torx wrench. It should take about 3 minutes to install.

So I do all this and my lever is flopping around like a hound's tongue on a hot summer day. It seems the ping pong paddle on my Troy carbine is a little thinner than on a Colt, so the 2 pieces come together without clamping the bolt catch. I had read other people have had this problem, but just assumed they weren't clever enough to properly screw in a screw.

But I really wanted to have this device on my AR. I saw 2 possible solutions: remove some material from the back piece to allow it to close more, or add a small shim to the front piece to take up the space. I didn't like the idea of taking a file to the damn thing, which would have removed the anodizing and made it impossible to return if I decided to send it back, so I decided to add a little shim.

I happened to have some .020 sheet styrene laying around, and within a few minutes had fashioned a shim which fit nicely into the lever's pocket. I screwed it back together and it works like a charm.

I haven't been to the range yet, but from screwing around here at home I like it. I can change mags faster already, and I'm sure with practice it will be faster still. Overall, it just makes things much easier. Only time will tell if my styrene shim will hold up, but if it doesn't, I can make an aluminum one or file a little off the back clamp. I'm going to have to spend a little time retraining myself, but I think it will be time well spent. I would recommend the Magpul B.A.D. lever to anyone with an AR platform weapon.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I haven't found the need (preference) for one, but I'm a lefty and shoot mainly lefty. I can see a righty wanting one to be able to load the round on a new mag without taking their hand off the grip and away from the trigger. As a lefty I don't to do exactly that with the standard bolt catch, but do have to drop a mag with my right hand when putting a new mag in. I could change out the mag release for a Norton or other, but am use to using my right hand thumb for this while grabbing the old mag or a new one if I want to drop the old one and load the new faster. Use what works best for you though I say. Most weapons, nothing perfect for every user and it's nice to have options. I do feel though every time you move away from a standard control and start manipulating the new one, you loose muscle memory time on the standard one which may count one day should you need to pick up a standard weapon and using it to defend your life.

I tried to buy one for $20 shipped at MGO, but Bernie wants a FTF.

Now that I think of it, it looks chinsey and is just something else to come loose. That's what the guy who works for Magpul is always saying about bolt on shotgun stuff his company doesn't make.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I tried one a year or so back, and found I never really could get used to it. The muscle memory of just smacking the bolt catch with my palm just kept kicking in, and rather than fight it, and probably end up screwing up the mag change, I decided to just stay as is. The wobbly-ness of the lever was also a point against. Glad to hear the BAD lever is working out for you.

I'm with fuzzee. They gave me a brass deflector when I was in the Army, a long time ago. I'm so used to fire my AR like it is it suits me fine now.

Sponsored Links