REVIEW: Ka-Bar Tactical Spork
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on REVIEW: Ka-Bar Tactical Spork within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; It seems that everyone makes a spork nowadays. Plastic, titanium, zinc, aluminum, stainless. You name it, they've made it into a spork. Sporks have been ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: REVIEW: Ka-Bar Tactical Spork

It seems that everyone makes a spork nowadays. Plastic, titanium, zinc, aluminum, stainless. You name it, they've made it into a spork. Sporks have been around since the late 19th century. Now, even Ka-bar makes a spork.

Being a Former Marine and Ka-Bar fanboy I just had to have one or two. You never know when you need to hunker down and kill off a can of spam while hunting zombies to replenish your internal engine.

This spork is made from Grilamid FWA, a high-strength, technical polymer. It's food safe and UV resistant. Apparently the plastic is made by the same company that makes Grivory plastics, which is common among knife manufacturers, especially Ka-Bar.

The spork is lightweight with a proper fit & finish. I detected no burrs or excessive mold marks. Removing the knife was easy provided you grab the spork towards both ends and not the middle. There was no wobble or excessive movement when the spork was in it's closed position.

The knife does a decent job cutting beef, chicken, and spam. It's a bit short to get any leverage when making long cuts in a steak as I had to place my index finger along the top spine of the blade. The blade is too narrow for spreading jams or butters, the spork end worked better.

The spork, itself, works adequately enough. The tines are short and somewhat dull. I found that sharpening them up with a bit of emery board worked wonders. The bowl of the spoon is small for liquid soups, but works well on stews and beans. Traditionally, sporks have never worked well on soups. Drinking soup from a can, canteen, or cup/mug always works the best.

Clean-up is easy. The plastic should handle temps up to 60°C. Safe for dishwashers, but the spork is light and might fly around.

All-in-all, this is a decent spork. It's light and packs well. The plastic is very tough and should hold up better than a metal spork. Although the knife works, it's best to use your EDC knife along side the spork. While there are many choices for sporks, this is one of the better ones. It's all-inclusive in one small, lightweight package. Using the knife against zombies is just and added bonus.
    Last edited by Denton; 08-04-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    A Watchman, Slippy and Maol9 like this.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to
    time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Interesting.

Kabar has a new tactical ice scraper for winter, too. Seriously. Looks like they are expanding their merchandise a bit.

Lost me on the polymer, plastic thing. If you have a knife and a spoon you have your bases covered. Metal spoon can be fashioned into many things, plastic, not so much. It does have the cool factor going for it. Probably make it thru airport security.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 08-01-2016 at 09:13 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperDogs View Post
    It seems that everyone makes a spork nowadays. Plastic, titanium, zinc, aluminum, stainless. You name it, they've made it into a spork. Sporks have been around since the late 19th century. Now, even Ka-bar makes a spork.

Being a Former Marine and Ka-Bar fanboy I just had to have one or two. You never know when you need to hunker down and kill off a can of spam while hunting zombies to replenish your internal engine.

This spork is made from Grilamid FWA, a high-strength, technical polymer. It's food safe and UV resistant. Apparently the plastic is made by the same company that makes Grivory plastics, which is common among knife manufacturers, especially Ka-Bar.

The spork is lightweight with a proper fit & finish. I detected no burrs or excessive mold marks. Removing the knife was easy provided you grab the spork towards both ends and not the middle. There was no wobble or excessive movement when the spork was in it's closed position.

The knife does a decent job cutting beef, chicken, and spam. It's a bit short to get any leverage when making long cuts in a steak as I had to place my index finger along the top spine of the blade. The blade is too narrow for spreading jams or butters, the spork end worked better.

The spork, itself, works adequately enough. The tines are short and somewhat dull. I found that sharpening them up with a bit of emery board worked wonders. The bowl of the spoon is small for liquid soups, but works well on stews and beans. Traditionally, sporks have never worked well on soups. Drinking soup from a can, canteen, or cup/mug always works the best.

Clean-up is easy. The plastic should handle temps up to 60°C. Safe for dishwashers, but the spork is light and might fly around.

All-in-all, this is a decent spork. It's light and packs well. The plastic is very tough and should hold up better than a metal spork. Although the knife works, it's best to use your EDC knife along side the spork. While there are many choices for sporks, this is one of the better ones. It's all-inclusive in one small, lightweight package. Using the knife against zombies is just and added bonus.
    Very interesting. Slippy approved.

Super Moderator

A couple of thoughts:

I like Ka-Bar as much as the next guy but I think I'll stick to my titanium spork for backpacking. The thing weighs nothing and works great. Depending on the price though I might want one for car camping.

Wonder how easy it'll be to sneak into areas that restrict knives? I'm guessing most screeners would think they're just looking at a spork. Can you spork someone to death?
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    A couple of thoughts:

I like Ka-Bar as much as the next guy but I think I'll stick to my titanium spork for backpacking. The thing weighs nothing and works great. Depending on the price though I might want one for car camping.

Wonder how easy it'll be to sneak into areas that restrict knives? I'm guessing most screeners would think they're just looking at a spork. Can you spork someone to death?
    Sporks ....... the weapon of choice amongst sheeple, after the great gun confiscation.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I hate sporks. Heck; even the spell-check doesn't recognize it as a word!
    Sasquatch, 8301 and hawgrider like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

None

I'm sorry but I just can't get into a Spork, I'd rather eat with just a knife or my fingers than use a spork.
    Denton and hawgrider like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I'm sorry but I just can't get into a Spork, I'd rather eat with just a knife or my fingers than use a spork.
    Can you eat Campbell's chunky soup with a knife or your fingers? Hmmmm? Of course not.

But a Spork will get the job done, mmm mmm good.

Ab so forking lutely not
    Slippy and Maol9 like this.
    Hidden Content

My accommodation of your incompetence does not make you right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links