What to boil water with during survival situations?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What to boil water with during survival situations? within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; I'm torn between putting a large pot in my bug out bag vs trying to find something that is lightweight as well as small to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What to boil water with during survival situations?

I'm torn between putting a large pot in my bug out bag vs trying to find something that is lightweight as well as small to boil some water in. I know that aluminum cans collapse when thrown into a fire so I'm not looking at aluminum items (Unless there is a different type/grade). Aluminum is very lightweight though and some items you can collapse. Is there a canteen or some type of camping gear that has this solution?

Re: What to boil water with during survival situations?

Look at army surplus items, normally the canteens have a metal cover that they use as a cup for boiling water. If you watch man vs wild, that's what Bear uses just about every episode! I haven't picked one of these up yet but I'm pretty close, my surplus store has a very few in stock so I'm waiting until they get more (better conditioned ones). I think you can find em on cheaperthandirt....but i'm not sure on that.
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Thank you sir, I've seen these, but never knew that they could withstand fire. Regardless, I think they are cheap enough to try out and see how they hold up on my next camping trip. Thanks for your help!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't set them directly on hot coals, but next to them rather, so that you don't warp the cup. let me know how it goes, i'm going to pick up a couple canteens and cups in the next week myself!
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

I use a stainless Sierra cup and have for several years. They come in a few sizes… I now have a large size. I like them because they’re almost indestructible. They make a good soup bowls. You can cook with them (set them in the coals). I’ve used mine as a shovel, a reflector and a noise maker for chasing away nosey coons. The handle lends itself to tying to a pole for a long-reach scoop.

The only down side to the design is that they taper down to a pretty small base and don’t sit well on my stove. A couple well placed rocks takes care of that though. It seems to me that the taper makes them easier to clean than a vertical-sided cup. It also allows you to use two cups as a double boiler or poacher… can’t do that with straight sided cups.

I’ve never been a fan of aluminum cups, especially if they’re going to double as cookware. When it comes to cooking in the coals (my favorite method), stainless is vastly superior. JMHO

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GY0B6QKBY9HEBA

AnvilIron
    Denton likes this.
    The smithy’s anvil rings with woe.
    Swords for soldiers row on row.
    Against the nobles they must stand.
    And for their souls take back the land.
    AnvilIron

You could use a metal water bottle. It's your water container and you can boil water in it. Dual purpose items are always a great idea.
    AquaHull likes this.

You can make a boiler out of just about any kind of can our or metal cup. As long as there is liquid in it while boiling it should not warp, but who cares if you need some safe drinking water in a hurry. When I used to do Civil War reenacting we used a item called a mucket. It is a steel cup and bucke combo. They have a lid, bail and hadle to make it easire to cook with, and it is'nt all that heavy.

The gi canteen cup, and esbit stove work good, they all nest together with the canteen, and is super light weight. Get some millitary esbit, but you can also handfeed small sticks into the stove. Great backpackers way to boil 2 cups of water for drinking, or mountain house meals. $20-$30 should get you canteen,cup, and stove, shop around on Sportsmanguide,cheaper trhan dirt, and ebay.

Ummm... don't get too caught up in the "I need a pot" mentality. You can create your own pot easily. Say... use a piece of leather... dig a hole... line it with the leather or some other waterproof material.... fill with water... heat rocks in a fire... and drop them in the water. You just have to place a few other rocks on the bottom to make sure the hot rocks don't burn through the leather. It doesn't take very many rocks to get the water boiling... and a few extra will keep it boiling long enough to purify water. With this process... you can even use a plastic bucket to boil water.
    Medelwr and AquaHull like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyjosephh View Post
    You could use a metal water bottle. It's your water container and you can boil water in it. Dual purpose items are always a great idea.
    I have several stainless steel 24 oz water bottles picked up at yard sales and resale shops for quarters apiece
    Denton likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links