*Gas Mask* NBC ????? Not sure what to get. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

*Gas Mask* NBC ????? Not sure what to get.

This is a discussion on *Gas Mask* NBC ????? Not sure what to get. within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Or buy a new Tesla 😜...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: *Gas Mask* NBC ????? Not sure what to get.

SGG

Or buy a new Tesla 😜
    Mosinator762x54r likes this.

It would appear the majority of responses have been a little "tongue-in-cheek" and have been a little
    short of actual advice in regard to the original question. Not true for every response...indeed there
    have been some GOOD ones...but here's my 2 cents.

To tell someone to "Get the hell out of there!" while perhaps good advice, may not be a possibility for
    them. Fallout, if that's what we're talking about, is best dealt with by creating DISTANCE. Mosinator's
    post of fallout patterns is quite good.

That being said, I will reiterate a bit of advice I gave in an earlier post on another similar thread.

I, myself, have a set of MSA Millenium gas masks. They are among the best quality and are NBC rated.
    They do, however, have a high price tag...so...they are probably not viable for the original poster of this
    thread. He was looking for something that would do the job on a budget.

Take a look around for a German Mask known as the Draeger (did I spell that right?). It is of very good
    quality and takes the very latest NATO 40mm filters. No matter whatever else you might scrimp on...
    DO NOT scrimp on the filters you buy! I found filters for my masks for about $25 each with an expire
    date of 2019. They are out there...and these will fit the Draeger too. Please do NOT buy a mask which
    is designed for the older European 60mm filter threads. You will be sorry.

If you want to buy the Israeli surplus masks...they will work quite well but be sure to get the newer ones
    which have the "drinking straw" feature. But again BUY GOOD HIGH QUALITY FILTERS! The Israeli
    masks again, will accept the NATO 40mm standard filters. Beware the filters that come with the Israeli
    mask. They are very old (the Israelis don't want to use them any more!) and likely to not provide you
    with much, if any, protection.

MSA (in MY opinion) has been in the business for many years and makes the best filters you can buy.
    They are 40mm design and are newly manufactured. Their nomenclature is a little obtuse (figuring which filter is designed for what) but it can be fathomed...I know...I did it. They have many differing models and many are for NBC.

There are lots of other masks out there which people are trying to "get-rig-of"...don't get sucked in!
    The Russian "snorkle" masks are old and totally antiquated...guaranteed to get you killed.
    The old US M17 is completely obsolete...you even have to remove it to change out the filters (which
    are of a proprietary design and all of them expired DECADES ago)! Don't even THINK about those!

So there. You have a couple of options. Both the Israeli and the Draeger are available for less than
    $40 each (at least the last time I looked) but are very serviceable. There are possibly others, but I
    will not attempt to make this post "comprehensive". This is a good starting point.

Before I put my masks into "readily retrievable" storage I gave them a wipe-down with good old Armor-All.
    That is the "rubber" parts...not the lenses! Because I have a beard I placed several razors into my personal
    kit...and a tube of petroleum jelly. I will quickly dry shave and then smack my face perimeter with the gel.

There is a sticking point...how are you going to know WHEN to put your mask on? A warning system to
    tell you an attack is imminent is problematic...unless you are perhaps near to an industrial spill (or the like)
    and can be warned by a local news cast. If you wait until you are seeing symptoms...you are too late.

Best to you,

Grim

I would be very interested in knowing what you finally decide upon!
    Last edited by Grim Reality; 12-06-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Logout and Montana Rancher like this.

I would add that in order for the mask to work properly you must be clean shaven and free of facial hair that would be in the sealing surface of the mask.
    Also if you have long hair pull it back and off of your forehead and sideburns area so that does not compromise the seal either.

Finally learn to perform a positive and negative pressure test on the mask by removing the filter(s) and covering the inhalation and exhalation tubes with the palm of your hand. You could probably find a YouTube video that demonstrates the test.

Not all masks fit all faces. You may have to try a few types/brands to find one that seals well.
    Grim Reality likes this.
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    A mask on its own will not provide the protection you desire...

You need a suit for each environment...

You need to know the lifespan of those suits...

They are not once in a lifetime purchase
    And that is why I do not own a mask and suit... they would need to be replaced from time to time and frankly... I doubt they would last long enough in that environment to matter.

if it is just cs or the like.. i will fight through it.. if it is worse... everybody in the area will be dead anyway

+++ I live higher up away from train tracks and no chemical facilities around... If I lived near a chem fac.. I would go there and ask them to provide me the needed items.. if they refused I would make sure they knew I was making notes of their refusal.. then if anything happened - I might be dead but my relatives would never have to work again
    Be a Berean

I've been a volunteer firefighter and I worked in the chemical industry for nearly 40 years, so I have some experience with masks. There is some good information above; here's my two cents.

A full face mask is a pain in the a$$. It gets wet inside, won't seal against hair, becomes irritating to the point of skin rash, and requires a prescription face plate to see well if you wear glasses, because spectacle temple pieces break the seal.

Some rail car spills require a supplied air respirator; filters alone on a full mask will saturate quickly. If you're worried about chemical agents such as nerve gas, you will need a complete suit anyway, not just a full face mask.

For most NBC threats, a half mask and goggles may be the ticket. They are much more comfortable, there are a huge variety of filters and prefilters available, and they are cheap enough to bury if they become radiologically contaminated in a reactor accident. Mine Safety Appliance has an online catalog.

I live within a few miles of Savannah River Site. If the worst happens I'm screwed. If Johnny Jihad gets his hands on tabun, sarin, or VX and you are in the lethal range you are dead before you can react. When I went through SWAT school, I was exposed to several different less lethal chemical munitions. I was in a small room where they lit off several tear gas canisters. SUCKED!!!!! I have masks and filters for that scenario.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Really, if it comes to the point where chemical weapons and/or biological weapons are being used, a full face mask is your best bet.

If it comes to the point where there is a nuclear emergency, just remember that no matter what kind of mask you use, NOTHING that you have available in your home will protect you against gamma radiation for any length of time, unless you live in a concrete bunker or a concrete house with very thick concrete walls.

Time. Distance. Shielding. Those are the three deterrents to minimize radiation exposure. Time: How long have you been exposed? Distance: Get as far away from the radiation source as possible. Shielding: Alpha: a piece of paper, your skin, etc. Beta: a wall, your car, just about anything else that is "solid". Gamma: lead shielding, several feet of water, or something containing water, between you and the gamma radiation. I'm a retired nuclear power plant engineer, so I dealt with this "stuff" all the time.

I agree with at least 1 post above, the M17 with a little bit of practice and no beard you can survive a lot of stuff("stuff" the 5 letter word and not the intended 4 letter word)

We used to spend a lot of time in "MOPP 4" using that mask and you just need to realize you can't do what you can normally do breathing through a filter, so plan accordingly.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

I agree with at least 1 post above, the M17 with a little bit of practice and no beard you can survive a lot of stuff("stuff" the 5 letter word and not the intended 4 letter word)

We used to spend a lot of time in "MOPP 4" using that mask and you just need to realize you can't do what you can normally do breathing through a filter, so plan accordingly.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links