Zippo lighters, drying out? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Zippo lighters, drying out?

This is a discussion on Zippo lighters, drying out? within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Amazon has some pretty good butane torch lighters, I have one. It's not waterproof, but there are some that are. Of course, they are breakable, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Zippo lighters, drying out?

Amazon has some pretty good butane torch lighters, I have one. It's not waterproof, but there are some that are. Of course, they are breakable, but, the torch is amazing.
    Worth seven bucks.
    I even tested it, before I put it in my truck bag. Got it wet, wouldn't strike(electric), kept blowing into the ate a, fired right up.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

And, yes, I refer to the as crack lighters.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Unfortunately the lighter fluid in new Zippo's have a tendency to dry out quickly. I had one years ago, and the fluid seemed to last forever. The newer zippo's are not built the same way. I agree with Pheniox 17. For long term storage Bic, or other type of lighter incased in plastic seems to be the way to go for a bug out bag, or such.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by James m View Post
    Djeep Paris lighters are good, they hold a lot of butane and advertise a thousand lights. Mine was orange for high visibility.
    Guys check these out. I got one at the smoke shop for $3 its the same size as a zippo but its workings are like a bic. It felt heavy duty.

Brunton Helios

Carry one daily, filled it last year-yes 2014

no I'm not a smoker, I start fires and burn threads off new gear and clothes, still a year for a butane refill is pretty good

Ill fill it again just to be happy today

However looking for a link I see they are hard to find . Ive had mine for almost 10 years, with zero issues, but newer ones are apparently crap
    Last edited by Quietsurvivalist; 12-20-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Try these two tricks.

First, remove the flint screw in the bottom, remove the fabric cover with the little hole in it and take out the stuffing. You'll see the wick all crammed inside. Pull the wick straight. put some of the stuffing back in and wrap the wick neatly inside across the stuffling. Fill in the rest of the stuffing and wrap the wick again across the stuffing again. Keeping doing this so it's kind of like a snake. Put in the fabric cover with the little hole in it back on. Replace the flint screw. Give the lighter a good soaking of Zippo fuel. Wait a few minutes and soak it again.

Next, take a kids balloon and and put it around the bottom of the area where you fill it. Pull it up tight along the sides and push the lighter into the case. Trim the excess with a sharp knife. It will extend the lighting time.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." ~ Samuel Adams

The new Zippos leak faster now because Zippo now stamps a ridge into the bottom sides of the insert to make fitting them easier to manufacture I suppose. This creates gaps for the fluid to get around and out of the case. The old inserts were flat with no ridge and sealed better against the outer case of the lighter. I'm attaching a picture of the metal stamped ridge insert and a pic of an older one without the stamped ridge that I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jay214; 10-03-2018 at 05:28 PM.

ziploc baggie?

Take a kids balloon. slide it up the zippo from the bottom till it comes even with the cover. snip off the excess. Roll the baloon down to use or fill. the balloon will drastically reduce the evaporation loss. Zippo's will also work on almost any flamable liquid. and can be used as an emergency light
    RedLion likes this.
    It's all true, give or take a lie or two.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links