Looking for pack recommendations
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Looking for pack recommendations within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; I am looking for a decent pack that lasts more then a year or two. I have went through 5.11, LAPG, brand name, off brand ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Looking for pack recommendations

I am looking for a decent pack that lasts more then a year or two. I have went through 5.11, LAPG, brand name, off brand name packs in this size, and for the life of me I can't get them to last more then two years.

Which pack do you ask? Here's a link to an Amazon version http://www.amazon.com/Military-Tacti.../dp/B01KJP36QU

I like that size - it works for me. I like the pockets/layouts and I like the molle attachments. I hate the fact that on each one something falls appart.... I don't carry it often on my back, but I toss it into the jeep or one of my other cars every time I get out of the house. On this last one, the internal weatherproofing is falling apart and the shoulder straps are starting to come out of the pack on the edges (looks like the skimped on the material and the thread was too close to the edge).

I have spent nearly 2 bills on one, and I have spent as little as $25 on one (that's the one that I think went just a hair over 2 years). I use them the same way, loaded the same......

So if you have one that you're happy with and it can recommend it, throw out the brand and the model along with your experience, as I'm ready for a new pack.....

thanks!
    Denton likes this.

Myself, I have USGI medium alice packs with frame and shelf.

I hardly ever use them, now set up to BO if needed.

They are around 30 years old and have stood up quite well.

Here is a picture of the pack and frame.

Name:  ALICE PACK.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  8.8 KB

Shelf is not shown but fits in the slots at bottom of the frame.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 10-06-2020 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added details

Lowe Alpine 25L top loader pack has held up 25 years for me, very heavy use. Tough cordura.

This one

Name:  1 lowe.png
Views: 23
Size:  270.7 KB

Big pack is Dana Design terraplane, back when made in Bozemann MT.

Another pack that lasts a lifetime. Top/side loader. Excellent suspension, carried > 80 lbs on it.

Name:  1 dana.png
Views: 20
Size:  66.1 KB

Mt Blanc. External frame. Refurb with better hip belt. You need external frame for really big nasty stuff or 1/4 of a moose

Name:  1 mt blanc.png
Views: 23
Size:  116.4 KB

edit: ^ my first big pack, it needed a better hip belt, did that. It carries what YOU can. Original clothing/pack is not up to date but works fine . You can strap on whatever you body will carry. Get a better hip belt for weight.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 10-06-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    Denton and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Myself, I have USGI medium alice packs with frame and shelf.

I hardly ever use them, now set up to BO if needed.

They are around 30 years old and have stood up quite well.

Here is a picture of the pack and frame.

Name:  ALICE PACK.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  8.8 KB

Shelf is not shown but fits in the slots at bottom of the frame.
    I have three of these medium Alice Packs myself, too find them to be very very durable, and lots of outside pockets to be able to get at needed stuff quick and easy. Don't really like the frame, and hate that nearly useless little shelf which A) is not wide enough to provide any support, and B) keeps coming off easily. I bought a few aluminum elk packing frames at Bi-Mart ($79 each) and attached the packs to them. Spreads the weight much better, and has a more comfortable and robust waist and hip strap. Also, it has a proper fold-down shelf on the bottom... your sleeping bag locks right in there with a couple bungee cords and stays put.
    Denton likes this.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I had/have that exact pack OP. I used mine heavy for years with no issues. Maybe not the same brand but the style. I still use it for hauling ammo win I go shooting.

I did splurge and upgrade to a Hill People Gear bag. I've had mine for about a year and no issues.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../3/ProductID/8

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Denton likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

P.S. get a quality pack rain cover, for a full pack one that covers/can cover, your head when treking. Mushy wet back sucks setting up camp

Thanks, not looking for going with an alice pack... Wish they made the small tactical packs more sturdy 🙂

You can't go wrong with any pack from Maxpedition. They are a bit pricey however.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 10-07-2020 at 03:46 AM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    P.S. get a quality pack rain cover, for a full pack one that covers/can cover, your head when treking. Mushy wet back sucks setting up camp
    Look into the SnugPak Poncho. Good kit.
    https://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-12682.../dp/B00PUDT8XM

Quote Originally Posted by K7JLJ View Post
    Look into the SnugPak Poncho. Good kit.
    https://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-12682.../dp/B00PUDT8XM
    I've got something like this. Cover the pack and deploy the hood when needed/precipitation starts.

Looking for pack recommendations-1-pack-cover.png

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links