Small survival kit for bottom of the bag, pocket. What am I missing?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Small survival kit for bottom of the bag, pocket. What am I missing? within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Hi guys, this isnít meant as a full on BoB more something I can stick in my pocket (big pocket admittedly) or bottom of any ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Small survival kit for bottom of the bag, pocket. What am I missing?

Hi guys, this isnít meant as a full on BoB more something I can stick in my pocket (big pocket admittedly) or bottom of any bag as a get home kit or maybe in case Iím separated from my main BoB and still feel Iíve got the basics covered etc.

It centers around the clip mess tin, which can be used as a make shift pot and has basic first aid. This is then put in a zip lock with a couple of 3íx3í gauze bandages, a P2 mask, a mylar blanket and a pair of reading glasses, a crkt eat n tool, then into a bigger zip lock for waterproofing and can also be used to purify water in the sun.

Inside the tin from top left:
    Cotton wool (tinder, first aid)
    Blister bandage
    Cheapo pocket chain saw
    In the plastic bag is a water storage bag, tinder stick and more cotton wool
    Cheapo emergency card with hooks, saw etc (takes up very little space)
    Condom (water storage/proofing)
    Small plastic bag with a few little fishing kits (line, shot, hooks already to go)
    Tiny ferrocerium rod
    Military can opener
    Tweezers from a SAK
    Toothpick
    Condys crystals (water purification, fire starter, first aid)
    Safety pin
    Mini bic lighter wrapped in gorilla tape
    Towel tablet (cleaning, tinder)
    Ear plugs
    Roll of double strand dental floss wrapped in foil
    Button compass
    About 2.5 foot of survival cord (8 strand, fishing line, copper wire, tinder line, jute)
    In tin - 4 standard band aids, 1 larger one
    Fresnel lens in case
    3 x alcohol pads (fire starter, first aid)
    Mini knife sharpener (better than nothing!)
    Magnesium fire starter and scraper
    Sicut Mintan (Australian survival knife designed for tin kits)
    Waterproof matches and striker
    Mini torch with 2 settings (paper between new batteries to stop it draining and note to remind me!)
    Spare torch batteries
    Mini folding razor and saw

Iíve also got a life straw Iíll throw in the bag.

Reckon Iíve got a fair bit covered in this mini kit but bound to have forgotten something Iím sure. Weíre not really allowed to carry knives, let alone other self defense weapons in Australia so theyíre not really an option. However I will certainly be putting a proper bush knife in the bigger kit, as I say above this is more back up and get home kit.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps. It weighs 500gm (1.1lb) so not ultra light but not bad, measures about 6Ēx5Ēx2Ē or 14cm x 12cm x 5cm all up.
    Iíve got some individual insect repellent sachets and sting wipe sachets Iím going to add to the bag too. Plus a couple of protein bars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Echotech; 07-11-2020 at 03:51 AM.

about 8-10 years ago the discussion of "Altoids" kits on the various prepper sites were endless - don't see it even mentioned anymore ....
    Echotech and Denton like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

about 8-10 years ago the discussion of "Altoids" kits on the various prepper sites were endless - don't see it even mentioned anymore ....

https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...toid-tins.html
    Echotech likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

I started out with Altoids and ended up feeling I needed more space and versatility. Having said that Iím putting together a little altoids tin too, properly for the pocket. Thanks for the link

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't see any Imodium. Certain things you don't want running when you are on the run. Few tablets of Aspirin, Tylenol Naproxin. Pack of electrolyte salts. Tea is also a great appetite suppressant you can brew up with a cup made out of can tin can of that foil you packed. Just needs to be kept dry until use. Tension wrench, and a feeler pick for dealing with locked doors. A silcock but that is too big for this E&E kit.

Godspeed.
    Echotech and Denton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalKane49p View Post
    Don't see any Imodium. Certain things you don't want running when you are on the run. Few tablets of Aspirin, Tylenol Naproxin. Pack of electrolyte salts. Tea is also a great appetite suppressant you can brew up with a cup made out of can tin can of that foil you packed. Just needs to be kept dry until use. Tension wrench, and a feeler pick for dealing with locked doors. A silcock but that is too big for this E&E kit.

Godspeed.
    Thanks for the advice re the meds, Iíd taken out some out of date ones and forgotten to replace them. Think Iíll lose the cheapo chain saw thing as probably rubbish and unlikely to be needed in this scenario and put in the tea bags you suggest, top idea.
    Iíve a silcock and better tools in my main kit so will leave them there as this is already a bit bigger than initially planned.
    Anything else I should lose maybe?
    Thanks

Denton likes this.

Yeah I bought one of those cheapo chain saws and it was completely useless. Tossed it away. I didn't see a whistle in your kit. Be handy if you our in a jam and need to signal someone. I have a flat one that fits well into the Pelican Waterproof case I use. the case is a bit bulky but it truly is waterproof. I see you have dental floss which is a perfect fer sewing up damaged gear, etc... Did you include heavy duty needles or did i miss that?

Godspeed

Whistle is a great idea, I usually wear a whistle, compass and fire starter on a lanyard round my neck when out in the bush but whole point of this kit is I wonít have normal preps on me so will add. Iíve got some easy thread needles on order so will add then, can never see well enough to do normal ones these days. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Echotech View Post
    ........Iíve got some easy thread needles on order...........
    I just pre-thread my needles at home with 8-10 ft of thread so I don't have to worry about doing in the field, during an emergency or when I'm so cold I don't have the dexterity.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links