Suitable mask for biological protection?

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Suitable mask for biological protection? within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Hey, I’m wondering about masks, respirators that may protect against biological hazards in the event of an epidemic. In particular I’ve been considering options in ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Suitable mask for biological protection?

Hey, I’m wondering about masks, respirators that may protect against biological hazards in the event of an epidemic. In particular I’ve been considering options in 3M 6000 or 6500 series. Is 1 micron filtration effective for this purpose? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suitable mask for biological protection?-0cfe395e-94e3-49f5-bc00-1a32b7606bcc_1581170095520.png

I would think a mask/filter that works for NBC environments would be acceptable. Please go to the introduction section as many members are big on introductions.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Will do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Masks are a good thing to have on hand, but I wouldn't worry about this China bug, it's all the other shit flying in at you from everywhere else that I would be concerned about.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 02-08-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    Snake_doctor likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I jumped on this wagon early and ordered a few masks before things got crazy. Now everything is sold out locally and Amazon sellers are price gouging and promising delivery dates in late Feb. or even March. One fool wants $99 shipping for just a few masks. Crazy!
    Camel923, Denton and stowlin like this.

I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

I didn’t say in this post, but I’m in Ohio. Also, it’s not just the Corona virus that has me concerned about the need for masks. As mentioned, there’s a lot of other stuff out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I jumped on this wagon early and ordered a few masks before things got crazy. Now everything is sold out locally and Amazon sellers are price gouging and promising delivery dates in late Feb. or even March. One fool wants $99 shipping for just a few masks. Crazy!
    Amazon was raided quick, as was most suppliers. I still saw some decent deals on Ebay a week or so ago, but they had limited quantities. If one searches intently, they are still to be had. I keep 2 or 3 dozen dispososable N95 respirators, both regular and with the valve. I also keep disposable chemical P100 respirators . The problem is most folks don't know the difference between a surgeon's mask that doesn't seal, and a respirator that fits firmly to the face.

These folks that wear a surgeon's mask will only keep their germs and mucus off of others, and not will protect themselves from the germs of others.

Quote Originally Posted by AccursedPoppy68 View Post
    I didnít say in this post, but Iím in Ohio. Also, itís not just the Corona virus that has me concerned about the need for masks. As mentioned, thereís a lot of other stuff out there as well.
    Your gonna need a full face respirator, gloves, and a body suit for nuclear, biological and full chemical exposure. They can be had for less than you think.
    prepster5 likes this.

the surgical masks dont offer too much protection from inhaled biological agents.
    most "floppy" surgical masks were designed more to prevent spreading of respiratory droplets from the wearer.
    they are mostly helpful catching resp particles from the wearer ... and probably preventing people from touching their own faces / nose / mouth.

the N95 masks are sealed around the nose and face, and prevent inhalation of particulate matter including microdroplets of saliva.
    its the combination of air seal , and the filter paper which provides protection.

honestly wearing cloth over your face probably will filter some of the respiratory droplets from entering your airway...
    the problem is when the saliva moisture they (virus) stick to evaporates .. leaving airborne virus particles... some viruses such as measles are highly contagious this way.

right now... not enough is known about transmission of the corona virus.
    they (CDC)do not know the method of transmission... they are extrapolating what they know from other corona viruses.. such as the common cold,
    and are therefore putting risk as 6 ft from a person for an extended length of time.
    fluid swapping. kissing, sharing food / utensils / drinks
    possible fecal oral (not known)
    sneezing coughing etc directly onto a person...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links