Updated/2020 Water Filtration Systems- Suggestions, Info, Wisdom Needed
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Updated/2020 Water Filtration Systems- Suggestions, Info, Wisdom Needed within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Hi! Iím seeking some suggestions for, and info on, the best water filtration system that can be used for larger capacity needs (such as in ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimcosta

Thread: Updated/2020 Water Filtration Systems- Suggestions, Info, Wisdom Needed

Hi!

Iím seeking some suggestions for, and info on, the best water filtration system that can be used for larger capacity needs (such as in the home during an emergency) but you could also grab and take with you if you had to bug out of there.

Secondly, a smaller, personal water filter. For perhaps each personís emergency bag.

And, third, which Iím sure narrows the field, I cannot spend a lot of money out of the gate (single mama), or on upkeep - currently. I didnít see the coronavirus coming, so no time to save up. ;) No laughing matter, however, as Iíve always been prepared and had the correct mindset, but this point in my life just happens to be the worst financially. For a prepper girl - it feels frantic, frustrating, and aggravating! Anyway ........

Iím starting a new thread because I did a search and the threads that came up where a bit old. Perhaps there are new, better products on the market these days?

And óó I know itís hard to answer the questions Iíve asked, as the preferences in this category seem to be very personal; the answers will be all over the board. That said ó Iím hoping to get at least some solid advice under my feet before shopping. Because as it stands now, Iíd be shopping totally blind. I could wind up with the absolutely crappiest equipment, or the best, or a combo, just by chance, yk?

Thank you for any information or thoughts you can provide!
    Much appreciated,

Rachael :)

Rachel,

Check out Berkey, Sawyer and LifeStraw for economical water filtration options.

Rachael: Are you certain you need a filtration system?

You can generate all the potable water you need for a lifetime for just one $30 investment. Amazon

See: Water Treatment Article

Realize you only need to purify 2 to 3 gallons per day per adult for cooking and drinking. You do not need to purify toilet water or bathing water.
    So just one 1 lb. bottle/bag will provide potable water for two adults for 13 years. The $30 investment above will give you four 1 lb. bottles.
    On the move? Carry just 1 bottle with you.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 01-26-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thank you for your responses so far! I am checking out Sawyer now. There definitely is a learning curve to these systems! And Iíll read that article'

I should have mentioned. There is beautiful fast moving forest river that abuts my property (in winter), slower moving in summer but still clear. I need to find out the source. Further up in the mountains with nothing around, Iíd assume. But Iíd like to be sure.

We also have two ponds, that get preeettyyy mucky and ugly for drinking come end of summer, on property.

Iím sure if I walked around in the forest Iíd be able to find more little water sources here & there as well.

Just extra FYI.

Rachael ;)

Keep in mind most filters won't remove viruses.

My MSR miniworks is 20 years old and still going.

Sawyer mini is great for a BOB/portable.

Sawyer purifier is not much bigger, and does viruses

Bleach, soild hypochlorites, iodine.

Stills, both heated and solar.

Transpiration bags in summer

boiling

double post

Quote Originally Posted by rachaels_apocalypse View Post
    Thank you for your responses so far! I am checking out Sawyer now. There definitely is a learning curve to these systems! And I’ll read that article'

I should have mentioned. There is beautiful fast moving forest river that abuts my property (in winter), slower moving in summer but still clear. I need to find out the source. Further up in the mountains with nothing around, I’d assume. But I’d like to be sure.

We also have two ponds, that get preeettyyy mucky and ugly for drinking come end of summer, on property.

I’m sure if I walked around in the forest I’d be able to find more little water sources here & there as well.

Just extra FYI.

Rachael
    Find a spring. Don't trust surface water. Look for seeps coming out of hillsides, dig them out, if flow is constant all year build a spring box.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    Rachael: Are you certain you need a filtration system?

You can generate all the potable water you need for a lifetime for just one $30 investment.

See:

Realize you only need to purify 2 to 3 gallons per day per adult for cooking and drinking. You do not need to purify toilet water or bathing water.
    So just one 1 lb. bottle/bag will provide potable water for two adults for 13 years. The $30 investment above will give you four 1 lb. bottles.
    On the move? Carry just 1 bottle with you.
    Article no longer available.

For home use it's hard to beat a Berkley, but expensive if it's just going to sit for years unused "just in case".

For a less expensive alternative get some filters like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085KZKX74...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

They can be put in a 2 or 5 gallon bucket and do the same filtration. Just install in the top bucket and have water drain into a bucket below. Put a $4 spigot on the side of the lower bucket.

FoulHal:

In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock - 6 X 1 Pound Bags
    . . Cost: $28

See article attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bigfoot63 likes this.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Sponsored Links