Updated/2020 Water Filtration Systems- Suggestions, Info, Wisdom Needed - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Updated/2020 Water Filtration Systems- Suggestions, Info, Wisdom Needed

This is a discussion on Updated/2020 Water Filtration Systems- Suggestions, Info, Wisdom Needed within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Originally Posted by rachaels_apocalypse Thank you for your responses so far! I am checking out Sawyer now. There definitely is a learning curve to these ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Updated/2020 Water Filtration Systems- Suggestions, Info, Wisdom Needed

Quote Originally Posted by rachaels_apocalypse View Post
    Thank you for your responses so far! I am checking out Sawyer now. There definitely is a learning curve to these systems! And I’ll read that article'

I should have mentioned. There is beautiful fast moving forest river that abuts my property (in winter), slower moving in summer but still clear. I need to find out the source. Further up in the mountains with nothing around, I’d assume. But I’d like to be sure.

We also have two ponds, that get preeettyyy mucky and ugly for drinking come end of summer, on property.

I’m sure if I walked around in the forest I’d be able to find more little water sources here & there as well.

Just extra FYI.

Rachael
    Rachel,
    Thank you for looking at our products. If you have any technical questions, I am here to help...

Jim
    Sawyer Products

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    FoulHal:

In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock - 6 X 1 Pound Bags
    . . Cost: $28

See article attached.
    You'll need to edit that fourmula to make adjustments for the various percentages of ingredients. They're not all the same percentages of sodium hyperchlorite.
    My New Years' Resolution is 240p.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

There's still the old school method of boiling your water first. On the go if for whatever reason the only water around is pretty bad a combination of boiling and then the Sawyer filter might not be a bad idea. In most cases the filter alone would be fine. You could even use them at home with a rainwater collection system. They're cheap enough at around $30/ea and will filter over 100,000 gallons of water. Keeping a few bottles of bleach at home isn't a bad idea either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Storing bleach long-term is not an option. Bleach loses it's effectiveness over time. After a year, even in an unopened container, it's basically useless. That's why pool shock is the go-to for preppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Storing bleach long-term is not an option. Bleach loses it's effectiveness over time. After a year, even in an unopened container, it's basically useless. That's why pool shock is the go-to for preppers.
    I didn't realize that. I knew bleach lost it's effectiveness over time, I just didn't know it was that quickly. How long does it take for the shock to lose it's effectiveness? I worked at a pool store as a teenager, you would think I would know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I didn't realize that. I knew bleach lost it's effectiveness over time, I just didn't know it was that quickly. How long does it take for the shock to lose it's effectiveness? I worked at a pool store as a teenager, you would think I would know.
    Repackaged correctly, pool shock can store for 5-10 years.

If anyone has any technical questions about our filters, feel free to shoot me a PM and I will answer as best I can!!!
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's still the old school method of boiling your water first.
    The problem with boiling is that it takes a lot of fuel. I keep a smaller Sawyer filter for travel and a Berkley for home use.

While boiling works, it's fuel intensive.

Pasturize water instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    While boiling works, it's fuel intensive.

Pasturize water instead.
    I was thinking more along the lines of boiling over a fire. I have several of the Sawyer filters which are more than adequate for most water to make it safe to drink. I was just saying if for some reason the only water a person had access to was really bad a combination of boiling and then filtering might not be a bad idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links