Baofeng banned but still for sale online, get them while you can
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Baofeng banned but still for sale online, get them while you can within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; First off I want to remind everyone that baofengs have been officially banned effective Sept 30, 2019 but are still for sell online as I ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Baofeng banned but still for sale online, get them while you can

First off I want to remind everyone that baofengs have been officially banned effective Sept 30, 2019 but are still for sell online as I an typing this but won't be there much longer as heavy fines will be placed on retailers per day of non compliance. It would not make sense to pay massive fines for inexpensive gear but we can still get them and I highly recommend people buy a few for themselves to gift, sell or trade later.

I have a set hand held Ham radio / CB radio setup set up for mainly solar power becuase I didn't want rely on a wall charger or cigarette lighter. I wanted a case that could stand on its own. I do not have a ham license and don't really plan to anytime soon. I went with these mainly for simplex transmissions but I am adding a 8 watt baofeng with 10 watt Nagoya antenna with repeaters programmed in case I need to reachout. Baofengs are legal to use in an emergency or disaster scenario and during a SHTF or WROL laws would not matter much anyway. I am posting a link to a video i did of my setup in case you guys want to go the same.

Finally I wish to ask for the opinions of people more knowledgeable than me for advise for the rest of us on hot to set up our radios. I programmed the major frequencies as channels. I have the closet Fire dept, EMS, Sheriff, Medivac, City hall and local news frequencies programmed to i can listen to whats going on around me but blocked from transmitting. I have most of the frequencies listed on prepper list downloaded and a simple print out for family members to understand how and when to use these in the even something were to happen to me. I would like feedback on how you guys would prepare without a ham radio license which I may get later but have bigger fist to fry for now. Thanks in advance

Last edited by thomasdangerpowers; 10-31-2019 at 05:19 PM.

why are Boefangs banned?
    I must research
    Annie likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

I teach Ham Licensing and a lot of mny prepper students have asked about this.
    All Baofengs are not banned! All radios must be certified for their particular use.
    Some Baofengs are in fact certified for FCC Part 90 (or a few other FCC Parts) and may NOT
    be used in any Part 90 radio communications system if they are not certified.
    Owning a non-certified for Part 90 Baofeng is not illegal. It is the sale and import of non-certified
    Baofengs for use in Part 90 systems. If you are a licensed Ham operator, they are perfectly fine to
    own and use, since Ham Radio is cover under FCC Part 97 rules, and Part 90 certification does not
    apply to licensed Ham operators. So... become a licensed Ham operator. Owning a non-certifed
    Baofeng and USING it to communicate where a radio must be certified can and will get in trouble
    with the FCC.
    Read more at https://medium.com/@lucky225/did-the...l-1fd4ba048194
    Denton, Marica and CrackPot like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have a few of the Baofeng HT radios, a medium-powered 2 meter setup, a few CB’s and recently a HAM license. My concern in a SHTF scenario is that HAM frequencies will end up just like many CB channels are now… people talking over one another, high power rigs stepping all over lower ones, profanity, shouters and jammers, etc. The air waves may become useless because WROL, no one gives a crap and they go with whatever they can get away with regardless of the damage it does to an otherwise useful and beneficial resource.

With a cheap UV-5R and $10 worth of PVC pipe and wire, a hunter rig can be made that will easily lead people to your location. It’s a well practiced game HAM clubs play on a regular basis (fox hunting). In that regard, the ability to transmit can become a risky liability. SHTF opens many a door. Step through with caution.
    Last edited by pakrat; 10-31-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: clarification
    Denton likes this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    why are Boefangs banned?
    I must research
    Get them while you can. They are not FCC part 90 certified and never were. In time excessive fine will be charged per day to these retailers who are still selling them OR they will need to be altered, meaning they will no longer have all the same capabilities as the current ones do or be banned from import completely. They are still cheap and available. If you buy them now you can sell them as an individual or gift them as you please. The value on grandfathered original capability Baofengs will go up, if you need them you already have them so either way you win if you buy some now. I practice what I preach and am buying 5 to put aside before the price goes up or they disappear. Here is the link Baofeng UV-5R are still for sale for under $25 on Amazon https://amzn.to/35vJxL5

good points Pakrat
    Last edited by thomasdangerpowers; 10-31-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    I have a few of the Baofeng HT radios, a medium-powered 2 meter setup, a few CB’s and a HAM license. My concern in a SHTF scenario is that HAM frequencies will end up just like many CB channels are now… people talking over one another, high power rigs stepping all over lower ones, profanity, shouters and jammers, etc. The air waves may become useless because WROL, no one gives a crap and they go with whatever they can get away with regardless of the damage it does to an otherwise useful and beneficial resource.

With a cheap UV-5R and $10 worth of PVC pipe and wire, a hunter rig can be made that will easily lead people to your location. It’s a well practiced game HAM clubs play on a regular basis (fox hunting). In that regard, the ability to transmit can become a risky liability. SHTF opens many a door. Step through with caution.
    very good points

Most of what you say is correct. IMHO, I don't intend to do any-willy nilly transmiting for a while after a SHTF events happens.
    I will listen to find out what is happening in other locations. Maybe, just maybe after the un-prepared 98% of the pupulation
    dies off, I might just start communicating with other prepper who have radios. One thing I have proposed is a rotating list of
    frequencies for people in my area that should help reduce the chances of discovery. Most people you buy Baofengs without
    becoming hams have no idea how to program a radio, build a directional finding antenna and proably wouldn't understand the
    proper method of use. Besides, with the extremely high dB level of squelch, factory set in those radios, they propably wouldn't
    hear anything closer than a mile or two with the ineffective short antenna supplied by the factory. But if a prepper, ham
    operator goes rogue, all bets are off.
    Denton, Slippy and jimcosta like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

There are a couple of recommendations that have come to me in discussions with acquaintances who have experience in tactical communications. Without sophisticated means to obfuscate communications with friends and family, you should attempt to use the lowest amount power that gets the job done and utilize a highly directional antenna. Both of these will limit your transmission exposure.

Experts, please correct me if that information is off the mark.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Well hell, being an advocate of the Constitution is baned, what your point?
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links