Baofeng banned but still for sale online, get them while you can - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Baofeng banned but still for sale online, get them while you can

This is a discussion on Baofeng banned but still for sale online, get them while you can within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; Originally Posted by pakrat ........With a cheap UV-5R and $10 worth of PVC pipe and wire, a hunter rig can be made that will easily ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Baofeng banned but still for sale online, get them while you can

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    ........With a cheap UV-5R and $10 worth of PVC pipe and wire, a hunter rig can be made that will easily lead people to your location. It’s a well practiced game HAM clubs play on a regular basis (fox hunting). In that regard, the ability to transmit can become a risky liability. SHTF opens many a door. Step through with caution.

You mean I shouldn't transmit my pumpkin bread recipe to my sister?
    thomasdangerpowers and SGG like this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Well hell, being an advocate of the Constitution is baned, what your point?
    My point is just to the them while we can. I am a strong advocate of the constitution but the 2nd Amendment would not do much good if we are cut off from each other. Inexpensive ham radios shipped here can be used as a tool of freedom or during an emergency just like a gun. Buy them and don't comply

I'm lost. So its ILLEGAL to broadcast on a HAM, if you don't have a license? But you can listen?
    These boefangs are ready to talk and listen, you just don't push the button?
    These are scanners? So you could disrupt critical services like Fire Dept or police by "never letting off the talk button"?
    I will do more research.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Our group is heavily invested in the Baofengs. Why? Primarily because they communicate with the lower non-HAM GMRS radios. Nobody monitors those frequencies in the normal world.

But let's jump forward to a world filled with chaos. The people that monitor (Fox Hunt) the 2 meter radios (Baofengs) are older HAMS. I don't see them running out into the scary outdoors to snoop on two meter conversations in simplex (radio to radio, about 6 miles apart) to locate you. Do you think they will do this to report you to FCC for operating without a license? I don't think so.

By using the Baofeng in a non-repeater frequency sparingly, who on earth will be listening to that frequency? And if you say hungry HAMS with the equipment and training then I suggest you do the math.
    I believe that around 2% of the population have HAM licenses. I suggest only half of them are trained and equipped to Fox Hunt. So now we are dealing with 1% of the county population.

Now consider that 1% or 2% of the population are Preppers. Lets use 2% here. That means that only .0004% (.02 X .02) of your county's population can locate you.
    My county population is 175,000. That yields 70 people that have to figure out what 2 Meter frequency we are on when not using the GMRS frequencies that only cover about 2 miles. (.0004 X 175,000)

Now estimate what percent of those persons will come raid you not knowing your strength?

Therefore, our plan is to use the Baofengs to use code words on one particular GMRS channel for normal security chatter. When threatened by intruders, we will switch to an obscure 2 Meter HAM frequency that will increase our range from 2 miles to 6 miles, the only time we expose our signal to Fox Hunters that might pick us up. Don't forget that it takes two Fox Hunters working together to triangulate on a signal location.

So again, you do the math on giving away your location. Don't hesitate to purchase the Baofengs.

P. S. Did I point out that the GMRS radios have difficulty sending a signal from outside to inside a building? Don't screw around folks - get Baofengs. The UV-5R is only $24 each.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 11-01-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Slightly off topic, but what would y'all recommend as a replacement for the rubber duck antenna replacement on a UV 5R? Asking for a friend.

Replacement antenna: $14 for 2, Amazon

Deebo: The FCC says in an emergency a license is NOT required. Practice with the Baofeng using the GMRS stations (no license or test required unless you feel guilty and mail in a fee). Then in chaos use the HAM 2 Meter frequencies that you will have to program in yourself. If you are interested email me and I will mail you programming details. [email protected]

You should program just a few frequencies for your personal use. Therefore, you need not be concerned about screwing up the entire world. However, if you want you can key in the police, fire or other departments so you can only listen to them but not talk on their frequencies.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 11-01-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Deebo, Denton and SGG like this.

Small note for those using these radios for the GMRS frequencies...
    The UV-5R, and a few other models offered, can transmit with up to 5w of power, which is considered illegal on a few of those frequencies that only allow up to 2, I think. It would be tough for anyone to really know you're violating this, but it's a point to be aware of.
    SGG likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I'd go with a full 1/4 wave antenna, about 15 inches long. Remember, you get what you pay for. $17 or more, each. Much better range!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC4PWQQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:  baofeng long ant.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  2.5 KB
    Denton likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    I'd go with a full 1/4 wave antenna, about 15 inches long. Remember, you get what you pay for. $17 or more, each. Much better range!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC4PWQQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:  baofeng long ant.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  2.5 KB
    I have this antenna on a GT-3TP and it works very well. I believe the full 1/4 wave antenna for the 2m band is closer to 19", but this one does the job pretty well.
    Denton likes this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links