Possible/Worthwhile to Repair Old Moonlight Night Vision?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Possible/Worthwhile to Repair Old Moonlight Night Vision?

This is a discussion on Possible/Worthwhile to Repair Old Moonlight Night Vision? within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; I wasn't sure in which sub to post this, so forgive me if this isn't the proper place. I got hold of a night vision ...

Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rebeltaz
  • 1 Post By rebeltaz
  • 1 Post By rebeltaz

Thread: Possible/Worthwhile to Repair Old Moonlight Night Vision?

  1. #1
    Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    32

    Possible/Worthwhile to Repair Old Moonlight Night Vision?

    I wasn't sure in which sub to post this, so forgive me if this isn't the proper place.

    I got hold of a night vision monocular many years ago from a friend of mine in the pawn shop business. It was made by Moonlight, but I can't find any numbers (other than patents) on it. It looks like the one in the attached photo. It worked great when I got it. It has been in storage for many years without being used, though. When I took it out today to try it, it wouldn't power on. This one worked without batteries (which is why I liked it so much). You just squeezed the lever and it would power on.

    I took it apart (mechanic and electronics technician / jack-of-all-trades) and the first thing I noticed is that there is a sliver of glass rattling around in the tube itself. It looks like this broke of the bottom half of the center feed though. It doesn't look like it could affect vacuum (I assume that this tube is vacuum sealed?) and if I remember correctly, I think it always had that rattle - even when it was working. I don't know what the voltage to the tube is supposed to be, but I did connect a NE2 neon bulb to the generator and it flickered lightly when the level was activated, so I assume that that is working. That leaves me with the tube itself.

    If I'm right, and it is the tube, is there a replacement for that? Would it be worth it? If I'm wrong and it could be something else, I am all for advice. I know it's old., but it was payed for, it worked and I like it. If I could fix this reasonably, I'd really like to.

    Anyway... good to be here... Thanks for having me
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Driftless Area
    Posts
    3,001
    The prices have come down so far on this stuff. Checked fleabay and they have some for under $200. Don't know what features yours has but might be more economical to buy something more recent. I hear where your coming from, I used to repair down to component level but they did away with discreet components and things run so fast now I can't see anything on my 20meg scope. Good luck! The only thing I can add is look for cold solder joints, use magnifying headset if you have old eyes like me.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 09-29-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

  3. #3
    Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    The prices have come down so far on this stuff. Checked fleabay and they have some for under $200. Don't know what features yours has but might be more economical to buy something more recent. I hear where your coming from, I used to repair down to component level but they did away with discreet components and things run so fast now I can't see anything on my 20meg scope. Good luck! The only thing I can add is look for cold solder joints, use magnifying headset if you have old eyes like me.
    I used to could rebuild anything down to component level. Once everything started going computer based, it went down hill from there. I finally had to give up TV repair earlier this year. Just wasn't worth it anymore.

    What I like about this is the same thing I've always liked about my pre-80's vehicles - no circuitry. This thing has two optics, a self contained generating coil and the imaging tube. Nothing else (well, except a separate, optional illuminator) I appreciate the advice, though. I'm going to go see what a replacement will cost, but I know it's probably going to be more than I can justify...
    Denton likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    32
    Well crap. I think I found the problem with it. I was looking at it again tonight, but this time, I powered it up in the dark. There is a hairline crack in the rear glass of the tube. In the dark, you can see the voltage arc to that crack. So... no fixing that.

    I don't suppose anyone knows of another self-powered, no-batteries-needed nightvision device? All of the ones I find are more like digital cameras. I don't need to take pictures and video. I just want something where, in a SHTF situation, I can see the bad guy before he sees me, without worrying about my batteries dying or the electronics getting fried.
    Denton likes this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Hills of the Hinterland
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    Well crap. I think I found the problem with it. I was looking at it again tonight, but this time, I powered it up in the dark. There is a hairline crack in the rear glass of the tube. In the dark, you can see the voltage arc to that crack. So... no fixing that.

    I don't suppose anyone knows of another self-powered, no-batteries-needed nightvision device? All of the ones I find are more like digital cameras. I don't need to take pictures and video. I just want something where, in a SHTF situation, I can see the bad guy before he sees me, without worrying about my batteries dying or the electronics getting fried.
    I've found over the years the best night vision device that requires no batteries or real electronics is your eyes. I've hunted many a dark nights and it certainly increases your ability to see. My father I swear had night vision from all of his years being out and about at all unGodly hours.

    If I might recommend something if you're worried about your electronic devices getting fried is build a faraday cage. I'm sure there's enough info on this forum let alone the web to get some good plans.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

    “Everything's fine today… that is our illusion.” – Voltaire

    One cannot appreciate the light until you have seen the darkness

  7. #6
    Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinch2 View Post
    I've found over the years the best night vision device that requires no batteries or real electronics is your eyes. I've hunted many a dark nights and it certainly increases your ability to see. My father I swear had night vision from all of his years being out and about at all unGodly hours.

    If I might recommend something if you're worried about your electronic devices getting fried is build a faraday cage. I'm sure there's enough info on this forum let alone the web to get some good plans.
    lol... my God given night vision has never been that great, and as I get older, that's going right along with my daytime vision

    I have some electronics safeguarded against EMP using homemade Faraday shielding, but that's not may main reason for preferring the batteryless nighty vision. In a SHTF type situation, not having to worry about dead batteries or a source for batteries is one less thing to be concerned with. I know this wasn't the best NV around, but the convenience of no batteries more than made up for it in my mind.
    Denton likes this.

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top