Clockwork spring crank radio?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clockwork spring crank radio?

This is a discussion on Clockwork spring crank radio? within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; . - Most of the crank radios out there have the crank drive a generator which charges up a capacitor / battery which then runs ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By OldHorseman
  • 2 Post By rice paddy daddy
  • 1 Post By Elvis

Thread: Clockwork spring crank radio?

Question Clockwork spring crank radio?

- Most of the crank radios out there have the crank drive a generator which charges up a capacitor / battery which then runs the radio for some time after the cranking stops... Problem is that the capacitor / battery tends to be the weakest link in the system. (I've got a drawer of radios and flashlights that now work only while the crank is being turned.)

- There used to be radios where the crank wound-up spring-powered clockwork, which then turned the generator to feed the radio directly, with no capacitor or battery involved.

- It's hard to tell which, if any, models still use the spring-power, since 'net searches inevitably bring up all hand powered radios. Even the newer Freeplay models seem to have gone cheap, with the battery system.

- Do any of y'all know which brands / models are still spring-powered?

rice paddy daddy and Denton like this.

I may be gettin' older,
    But I've been fightin' dirtier, longer.

The Good Cop

I do not know.
    However, I would guess that being more complicated to engineer and manufacture than a regular hand crank dynamo type, one would be hard to find.

I went to C. Crane Radio, and under "emergency radios" they have a model they call a "wind up". But reading the specs and FAQ's part it seems to not be what you're looking for.
    www.ccrane.com/category/100103/emergency_radios

I have a Kaito Voyager KA500 Am/Fm/Two Shortwave Bands/Weather 1-7 Bands. It has a hand crank charging system PLUS a solar charging system for the internal rechargeable batteries.
    It also has an LED flashlight, a 5-LED reading light, and USB ports to charge cell phones.
    Emergency Radios

Living in hurricane country, when the power goes out (and it will) it is much nicer to sit in your chair for radio news than running out to the truck radio. Plus, if the cell towers are still up you can go online or whatever with your phone and stay charged up.
    Denton and OldHorseman like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Sorry I don't know of any. I recently got my radio from Eaton. You can charge the battery by crank, solar or plug it in to charge it. It came in handy when we lost power for 3 days. You can also use it to charge anything that has a USB to plug into it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If the radio has a hand crank that charges a battery, . . . and the battery dies, . . . duhhhh, . . . get a new battery.

Take a volt meter (most likely it is DC), . . . measure the voltage the generator is putting out, . . . you want a battery with a voltage slightly less than that. For instance, . . . 12 volt batteries in your vehicle can get 14.5 volts from some alternators.

Just remember that if you get a BIG battery, . . . you have to crank for a long time to charge it. A small battery can be charged quicker, . . . but won't last as long. It's a trade off.

But seriously, . . . it ain't rocket science.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

All preps require occasional repair or replacement. My crank radio uses a little battery like cordless phones use. I know that about every 3-4 years I'm going to need to buy a replacement. But since it runs on 3.6v I also know that in a pinch I can use some of my rechargeable AA batteries to make a battery for the radio. I suspect the batteries die from sitting so long unused.

Testing all of your rarely used preps once a year and making any needed repairs is part of maintaining your preps.
    OldHorseman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    All preps require occasional repair or replacement. My crank radio uses a little battery like cordless phones use. I know that about every 3-4 years I'm going to need to buy a replacement. But since it runs on 3.6v I also know that in a pinch I can use some of my rechargeable AA batteries to make a battery for the radio. I suspect the batteries die from sitting so long unused.

Testing all of your rarely used preps once a year and making any needed repairs is part of maintaining your preps.
    You could easily run it off a single 3.7v Li-Ion battery like an 18650.
    I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

We have had a Free Play brand for several years. Crank..solar or a 110 V. adapter which has got lost somewhere. Works good. Now wherther it has some kiinda battery inside I aint sure but dont think so. The one we have dont work as a flalsh light or a USB charger.
    https://www.amazon.com/Freeplay-Ener...oding=UTF8&me=

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    You could easily run it off a single 3.7v Li-Ion battery like an 18650.
    Yep, that would work. I just mentioned the AA rechargeable because the battery in the radio uses 3 little rechargeable batteries bundled in a shrink wrapped pack to make 3.6v.

The Arkie branch of the clan give me this a year or so ago. Works good..but aint really an end of the world model. It has D cell reheargeable batteries in it but I cant figure out how to make it run off the batteries. I am fixing to go googling and find a tutorial of something. I took the batteries out of it yesterday thinking they might start leaking. https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-TB-10...SIN=B07F1F4X9Y

Sponsored Links