Product warning: Faulty perimeter alarm device
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Product warning: Faulty perimeter alarm device within the Survival Gear Reviews and Questions forums, part of the Survival Gear Reviews, Questions, Sell, Swap category; I recently purchased six perimeter alarm tripwire devices from Fith Ops Co. at a cost of $30/ea. for a total of $180. These are devices ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By yardburd
  • 1 Post By A Watchman

Thread: Product warning: Faulty perimeter alarm device

I recently purchased six perimeter alarm tripwire devices from Fith Ops Co. at a cost of $30/ea. for a total of $180. These are devices which fire a 12Ga. blank shell when the trip wire is activated. Of six purchased, NONE worked or could be modified to make work. As supplied the firing pin is too blunt and the firing pin spring is too weak to fire the primer. I modified the firing pin profile, installed the strongest spring that would fit and tried every brand of primer available. All without success. Calls to the manufacturer went unanswered. Take heed and don't make the mistake I did.
    Regards,
    John
    Denton, Annie, jimb1972 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yardburd View Post
    I recently purchased six perimeter alarm tripwire devices from Fith Ops Co. at a cost of $30/ea. for a total of $180. These are devices which fire a 12Ga. blank shell when the trip wire is activated. Of six purchased, NONE worked or could be modified to make work. As supplied the firing pin is too blunt and the firing pin spring is too weak to fire the primer. I modified the firing pin profile, installed the strongest spring that would fit and tried every brand of primer available. All without success. Calls to the manufacturer went unanswered. Take heed and don't make the mistake I did.
    Regards,
    John

those types of alarms are soooo damn iffy to begin - illegal in some areas - if you used a credit card you could have an avenue there ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up, John!
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have thought of making something like that with a rat trap.

Quote Originally Posted by yardburd View Post
    Regards,
    John
    Lets talk about something that really matters ….. what kinda burds ya got?
    jim-henscheli likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I bought some dummy grenade triggers off of Ebay that use a shotgun primer as the noise maker, you should be able to find some there...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perimeter-A...e/202302254736

Rancher
    Last edited by azrancher; 06-12-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I have thought of making something like that with a rat trap.

not near enough tension spring strength on a rat trap for that - toy pistol snap caps - place half dozen on small finishing nails where the bar striker will hit them ....

for primers - detonator heads off paintball smoke grenades ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 06-12-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Lets talk about something that really matters ….. what kinda burds ya got?
    It's probably full of One-Post Wonders.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    not near enough tension spring strength on a rat trap for that - toy pistol snap caps - place half dozen on small finishing nails where the bar striker will hit them ....

for primers - detonator heads off paintball smoke grenades ....
    I was thinking a piece of 1/2" bar stock on the arm of the trap would give it enough kinetic energy to strike the firing pin hard enough to set it off. Just the arm itself would not be enough, but a little mass added might do the trick if the spring tension would get it moving fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I was thinking a piece of 1/2" bar stock on the arm of the trap would give it enough kinetic energy to strike the firing pin hard enough to set it off. Just the arm itself would not be enough, but a little mass added might do the trick if the spring tension would get it moving fast enough.

you can add tension to that spring by shimming up the butt end with bolt washers or a nut - about a 3/16 >>1/4 inch is usually max for procedure ... if you add anything to the striker bar try a sawtooth picture hanging bracket - line up your device under the spike - putting all that tension into a more concentrated point of contact helps >>>> wouldn't guarantee anything setting off a primer ....

the whole thing about any of these devices is that they are only an alarm warning - scare the crap out of someone for a second ... if you want to take it to the next level - same type of triggered striker device - but use a fuse liter cap instead - fuse burns to a pack of Black Cat firecrackers ... it'll draw return fire ...
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 06-13-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Sponsored Links