Emergency Dog Food
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Emergency Dog Food

This is a discussion on Emergency Dog Food within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Well I'm sure more than a few of us have furry friends, I know I do. I'm sure most of us also know the benefits ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Emergency Dog Food

Emergency Dog Food

Well I'm sure more than a few of us have furry friends, I know I do. I'm sure most of us also know the benefits a dog or dogs can yield in a SHTF scenario, such as a watch/guard dog, intruder deterrent, hunting partner, etc. So, of course, I want to ensure that my pup is also taken care of for food storage in the event SHTF. I've looked into a few companies who make emergency dog food rations with shelf lives good for up to 15 years, but how much or long the food will last is an entirely different story, and that's my question. Do any of you know of any specific companies or websites that sell properly rationed dog food to last for xx days? I'm thinking a 90 day supply of emergency food for my pup would be about right, as it'd give me time to either find more or begin to properly measure and ration meat from hunting/fishing into his diet. He doesn't eat excessively (unless I let him) as he's just a lab mix weighing in at about 60lbs. He's 12 months old, which means his metabolism will be slowing down after the 24 month mark, and he's already eating a healthy two bowls of food (1 cup of food per serving) a day, which is enough to keep him healthy and gaining good weight while maintaining a high state of activity throughout the days (running, playing, digging, etc).

Think you guys can help me out?
    ordnance21xx likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Problem is, there is no one size fits all. Different breeds need different food. Variety will help. I know someone that does mylar bags in metal trash cans. I do 64oz mason jars & vacseal the lids.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    My wife does dog rescue. We always have a ton of food in the house But it goes quickly. I'd say full rotation within a few months. If the shtf we'd be stocked for our 4 for quite awhile but spoilage of the dry stuff after a few months would be a concern. I've started to discuss with the Wench and asked her to look into it. I focus on the 2 legged aspect.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member R.I.P.

As all kibble isn't equal all packaging isn't equal. The better quality kibble seems to have better packaging. I purchase 4Health from Tractor Supply for my working breed dogs. Half their feed is raw meat though. Chest freezers for the raw meat.

I will just feed mine eggs and chickens if SHTF. That's some of the best feed for dogs anyway.
    slewfoot and jesstheshow like this.
    Be prepared.
    Boy Scout Motto.

I have an Irish wolfhound and a Siberian husky. Between the two of them, they eat about 2-4 lbs of dog food a day, depending on how much they eat. We have enough dog food to last our dogs about 2 months.
    “Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    I will just feed mine eggs and chickens if SHTF. That's some of the best feed for dogs anyway.
    Don't forget that the bad guys are high in protein, too. All joking aside, The kibble I get for my dog has a little over a one year self life. I always have a spare bag on hand for emergency rations. When I get down the the end of the bag, I buy another and rotate my stock. For my BOB, I do a vacuum seal bag with an oxygen absorber and switch it out every year.
    jimb1972 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Don't forget that the bad guys are high in protein, too. All joking aside, The kibble I get for my dog has a little over a one year self life. I always have a spare bag on hand for emergency rations. When I get down the the end of the bag, I buy another and rotate my stock. For my BOB, I do a vacuum seal bag with an oxygen absorber and switch it out every year.
    Anyone that threatens my family will feed my dog.

Waste not want not I always say...I guess in that case there wont be much in the way of DNA evidence to come back on you either, not that I condone criminal behavior!

Having 2 dogs I started buying a few extra bags of dry dog food. I have 4-6 large bags in a basement and cycle through them as the dogs eat whats kept in the house. I figure this give me 4-6 months of food for them. The truth is you can always feed your dog some left over game if you find yourself running low on food.
    Irish Diplomacy:
    The ability to tell a man to go to hell and have him looking forward to the trip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links