Water storage container question...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Water storage container question... within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I really like the USGI tan water cans but couldn't find them. I bought some cheap water storage containers that broke after a few months. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I really like the USGI tan water cans but couldn't find them.

I bought some cheap water storage containers that broke after a few months.

This type was junk. Reliance Desert Patrol

How are these for long term water storage? They seem to be much sturdier, yet not as good as the USGI jerry can type. Moeller brand made by Scepter.

Thanks!

Water is needed in such large quantities than storage IMO is a mute point, I expect frags from this, bring it on.

Get a GOOD quality water filer I suggest a BERKLEY

Pre filter your water in a bucket, pour it in a Berkley and drink up.

Berkley Water Filter - Gravity Filter for Emergency and Relief Work

Your welcome.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

It is humbling the quantity of water just one person needs a day. Hiking in the back country, clean water takes on a truly meaningful value.

So, I know what you mean, but I would like to store a few days worth at least...so how about these jugs?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I understand, If it was me

Look locally or on Craig's list for "food grade" 5 gallon buckets.

You can usually get them for about $5 each with the lids which should be cheaper than the items you listed.

Fill those with water, the bonus is they have 3064 uses when they are empty.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Water is needed in such large quantities than storage IMO is a mute point
    I live in a high dessert.... central Colorado. If I don't store it, I don't have it. The few water sources we have (ponds, streams, etc) will be like the watering holes of the Serengeti. I don't know if I want to face all of the crocodiles and lions right off the bat. I'd like to store enough so I can keep my head down and let the lions and crocs fight it out and thin out the numbers first.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason (co-author of the Bill of Rights)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
    "If guns don't make people safer...then why do world leaders have armed security?" - Author Unknown

Check a GI surplus store. They usually have them. Or you can order them off the net. I have loads of them and love them!
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    George S. Patton.

Be careful of import containers. As long as it's not a child's toy a lot of over sea manufacture are using plastic that is not FOOD grade. Go with Montana Rancher's idea. Beside you can stack them easily.

IMHO, If you have a long treck to get water, stay away from the 5-Gallon wire grip. They break and they aren't very friendley on the hands!
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    George S. Patton.

As far as material...these are good. Are import, but made in Canada.

A suggestion for short term is if you cook with boxed wines (not the usual crappy cooking wines) the thing that holds the wine is easy to wash out and store water. Now it is enough for 1 day per bag for a person. However as others have said you need a dependable source for long term storage in some volume. Now for that you also need a water filtration system and I prefer to use rain water collecting systems but these aren't easily moveable in a BUG setup hence the wine bags which are stronger than one would think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links