Rice and Beans
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rice and Beans

This is a discussion on Rice and Beans within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Easy to store and cheap to buy, fills the belly, is low in fat and is loaded with complex carbohydrates. Beans are high in protein ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Rice and Beans

Super Moderator

Rice and Beans

Easy to store and cheap to buy, fills the belly, is low in fat and is loaded with complex carbohydrates. Beans are high in protein and have vitamins and minerals. A really good value, prepper-wise. But steak and potatoes it's not. I'd rather have a steak or a nice burger, but if we have to eat them, then I want them as tasty as possible. So, how do you like to cook them? Share your recipes! This youtube clip below is one for rice that I've tried and it's super good rice, so I'm sharing it here with you. Enjoy!

"But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Easy to store and cheap to buy, fills the belly, is low in fat and is loaded with complex carbohydrates. Beans are high in protein and have vitamins and minerals. A really good value, prepper-wise. But steak and potatoes it's not. I'd rather have a steak or a nice burger, but if we have to eat them, then I want them as tasty as possible. So, how do you like to cook them? Share your recipes! This youtube clip below is one for rice that I've tried and it's super good rice, so I'm sharing it here with you. Enjoy!

My favorite is red beans, sausage and rice. Add chopped onion, bell pepper and jalapeno.

My second is pinto beans, smoked sausage and sweet Vidalia onion. Simmer all day while watching NASCAR and Football. Cold beverage or 12...

I like to throw in whole kernel corn.

Within the different mixes, white onion diced, leeks chopped,.

With the rice, whole green bean pods or whole wax bean pods, some bacon bits.

Rice, great northern beans, diced spam or JD sausage bits, adobo and chopped kale.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 06-21-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    Annie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Red beans and Rice, chicken, and a biscuit

popeyes red beans and rice
    Be a Berean

No longer here.

For non carnivorous folks, I make a Lentil Chile. So before I post multiple bean and rice recipes, perhaps a look at the best of beans? https://www.healthaliciousness.com/a...st-protein.php

Administrator

Now y'all went and made me hungry!

There is a place (Tiger Trucks Stop) about 20 miles or so outside of Baton Rouge, LA that makes the BEST red beans, rice, and alligator sausage that I have ever eaten. I would soooo love to track down their recipe.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

I think we have gotten away from the original idea here: prepping to survive.

I doubt the sausage stores will be open or available, . . . as well as fresh onions, peppers, etc.

Better be thinking more of what is in the little flavor packs you included, . . . what is in the storehouse that can be used to flavor this???

I personally have a boat load of chile powder, . . . garlic powder, . . . onion powder, . . . salt, . . . pepper, . . . and assorted and sundry other "flavors" that can be used to vary the flavor.

But let's be realistic, . . . it's beans and rice, . . . and that's what it is.

We might be throwing a piece of a Hershey bar and a handful of raisins in there, . . . or maybe some peppermint leaves, . . . some dried horse radish, . . . just think about what you have, . . . and what you might like to have.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Slippy, baldman, Boss Dog and 1 others like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    I think we have gotten away from the original idea here: prepping to survive.

I doubt the sausage stores will be open or available, . . . as well as fresh onions, peppers, etc.

Better be thinking more of what is in the little flavor packs you included, . . . what is in the storehouse that can be used to flavor this???

I personally have a boat load of chile powder, . . . garlic powder, . . . onion powder, . . . salt, . . . pepper, . . . and assorted and sundry other "flavors" that can be used to vary the flavor.

But let's be realistic, . . . it's beans and rice, . . . and that's what it is.

We might be throwing a piece of a Hershey bar and a handful of raisins in there, . . . or maybe some peppermint leaves, . . . some dried horse radish, . . . just think about what you have, . . . and what you might like to have.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I agree they will not likely be available in a SHTF type of a situation, but that doesn't mean I can't prepare and can something now. I may even be able to figure out a freeze dried recipe that I could use and dry can some, using the process I have been researching online.

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

No longer here.

Perhaps it was I that lead US astray, I was just attempting to point out that lentils out proteined most beans. My Bad.

I like the idea of the meals in a jar. I plan to make a binder with recipes for the types of things I'm going to have in storage. My daughter has declared she won't eat spam, so my mission now is to find a recipe I can sneak it into somehow.

My mom used to dredge slices of spam in flour, fry, and make sandwiches with them. I wasn't crazy about it, but you know, if that's lunch, you eat it. I definitely preferred mine crispy.

I've bought quite a few cans of chicken. It's been years since I made chicken and rice, but that would be an easy recipe--assuming you had a means to bake.

A rough recipe:

1.5 cups of rice
    1 can of green beans (don't drain)
    2 cans of cream of (whatever) soup mix (I would make my own that is GF)
    Some chicken broth or water (you'll want at least 3 cups of liquid)
    1 (maybe 2?) cans of chicken
    Seasoning (salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, onion powder---any/all)

Dump in rice then the rest of the ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50-60 minutes.

I'll test this in a few weeks maybe.

But if you needed to cook over a fire, maybe a better idea would be to assemble in foil packs after cooking the rice in a pot... ?

Which brings up another idea....lots of "hobo meals" in foil packs...
    Cricket and Annie like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links