Starvation and Bad Decisions
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Starvation and Bad Decisions within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Had my annual blood work the other day. Good news is that even without meds, I've gotten my good cholesterol up and my bad cholesterol ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Starvation and Bad Decisions

Had my annual blood work the other day. Good news is that even without meds, I've gotten my good cholesterol up and my bad cholesterol down. Only problem is that my bad cholesterol isn't low enough and my triglycerides are jammed up through the roof. Blood sugar was a bit high too for a fasting test. Doc has given me three months to beat back Wilford Brimley or he will send me to a diabetic doc. This is difficult because I just got off 7 rounds of antibiotics and 4 rounds of steroids and narcotic cough suppressants back in March due to Valley Fever (Coccidioidomycosis - Fungal Pneumonia) and I'm still in recovery due to lung damage, scarring, and nodules. Physical activity is very low and an 8 hour work day still kicks my ass. Admittedly, when I was sick, I ate a lot of junk that I normally don't and that along with the steroids could have thrown off my numbers.

So now I'm tracking my food on the MyFitnessPal (by UnderArmour) and I'm trying to be more balanced and responsible. I've cut out all refined sugar and starches and I'm watching my natural sugars and starches like fruit and potatoes like a hawk. I'm still eating a very nutritious diet - probably better than before. But - the lack of carbs and reduced caloric intake has turned me into an incoherent zombie. Late afternoon is the worst. I lose my balance, my fine motor skills are shot, I make bad decisions or at least don't think things through all the way. Yesterday I started wondering if I had a stroke I was so bad off. It is killing me.

As an American, I've never really experienced hunger or starvation, and I still probably haven't - but I'm closer now than I've ever been and it is teaching me a lot. I'm only a week in and I think my body will adjust eventually, I hope. But I can already see where people stranded for a day or two without food start to make boneheadedly stupid or risky situations. Or how they get injured easy. I fell down just taking the trash out yesterday. I'm just awestruck and the difference a change in diet is having for me.

The lesson or potential lesson here is this, I'm imagining a survival scenario where I have half again what I'm currently eating. Survival and all of the activities necessary to sustain life, maintain a shelter, and defend against outside forces (especially if they are a little better fed) would be greatly compounded by a lack of nutrition. Before I understood hunger as a minor inconvenience. Now I see it as a crippling force, almost as bad as a disease. Food preps just got bumped way the hell up on my priority list.

One of the things I struggle with is that my daily limit of protein, carbs, sugar, and fat are reached before I get to 1800 calories. I'm often left at 1400 to 1600 calories and no room to eat anything without exceeding one or more of those areas. Maybe if I can get the right combo, this will get easier. If not, I'm going to find a dietitian that can get me a better plan. But again in the SHTF world - no dietitians and yoga instructors so prep now what will be healthy for then.
    Denton, SOCOM42, Viking and 5 others like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

I am a diabetic ,, to get my sugar down fast I drink lots I mean lots of water " a gal. in a hour , and I do 2 gallons ,,you will pee a lot and that's what will help you ,, it will flush out the sugar in you body and that will being down your sugar count .
    SGT E, GTGallop and AquaHull like this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

GT why are you restricting protien and fats if you are just trying to control sugar? I don't understand what you are doing. can you explain more about your diet choices?
    tirednurse, Slippy and GTGallop like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

GT, what kind of work do you? I don't hear of people getting Valley Fever that much. Or were you digging a bunker?
    Hope you're doing better. Not a fun disease.
    GTGallop likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Had my annual blood work the other day. Good news is that even without meds, I've gotten my good cholesterol up and my bad cholesterol down. Only problem is that my bad cholesterol isn't low enough and my triglycerides are jammed up through the roof. Blood sugar was a bit high too for a fasting test. Doc has given me three months to beat back Wilford Brimley or he will send me to a diabetic doc. This is difficult because I just got off 7 rounds of antibiotics and 4 rounds of steroids and narcotic cough suppressants back in March due to Valley Fever (Coccidioidomycosis - Fungal Pneumonia) and I'm still in recovery due to lung damage, scarring, and nodules. Physical activity is very low and an 8 hour work day still kicks my ass. Admittedly, when I was sick, I ate a lot of junk that I normally don't and that along with the steroids could have thrown off my numbers.

So now I'm tracking my food on the MyFitnessPal (by UnderArmour) and I'm trying to be more balanced and responsible. I've cut out all refined sugar and starches and I'm watching my natural sugars and starches like fruit and potatoes like a hawk. I'm still eating a very nutritious diet - probably better than before. But - the lack of carbs and reduced caloric intake has turned me into an incoherent zombie. Late afternoon is the worst. I lose my balance, my fine motor skills are shot, I make bad decisions or at least don't think things through all the way. Yesterday I started wondering if I had a stroke I was so bad off. It is killing me.

As an American, I've never really experienced hunger or starvation, and I still probably haven't - but I'm closer now than I've ever been and it is teaching me a lot. I'm only a week in and I think my body will adjust eventually, I hope. But I can already see where people stranded for a day or two without food start to make boneheadedly stupid or risky situations. Or how they get injured easy. I fell down just taking the trash out yesterday. I'm just awestruck and the difference a change in diet is having for me.

The lesson or potential lesson here is this, I'm imagining a survival scenario where I have half again what I'm currently eating. Survival and all of the activities necessary to sustain life, maintain a shelter, and defend against outside forces (especially if they are a little better fed) would be greatly compounded by a lack of nutrition. Before I understood hunger as a minor inconvenience. Now I see it as a crippling force, almost as bad as a disease. Food preps just got bumped way the hell up on my priority list.

One of the things I struggle with is that my daily limit of protein, carbs, sugar, and fat are reached before I get to 1800 calories. I'm often left at 1400 to 1600 calories and no room to eat anything without exceeding one or more of those areas. Maybe if I can get the right combo, this will get easier. If not, I'm going to find a dietitian that can get me a better plan. But again in the SHTF world - no dietitians and yoga instructors so prep now what will be healthy for then.
    GT if you need some help with this send me a PM and I can try to help you figure out what to do. I help people daily with their diets to control heart disease and diabetes without medications
    Denton, Slippy, GTGallop and 2 others like this.

GT listen to Blendingin or tirednurse....I think you're going about this the wrong way.
    GTGallop likes this.

Yes, this is very strange to me. I am on the Obama-no-care plan. Haven't seen a doctor in years. If sick, you suffer through till better.

Sounds like them doctors is trying to kill you off, stay away from doctors-lose weight till you're down to what you should be, and have a vigorous outdoor type job.

Listen to the nurses, they care about the patient.
    GTGallop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    GT, what kind of work do you? I don't hear of people getting Valley Fever that much. Or were you digging a bunker?
    Hope you're doing better. Not a fun disease.
    I'm a Cube Monkey and occasional work from home kinda guy. Very sedentary 8 hours a day. I got VF the week after Christmas this year. It rained in Phoenix for a week straight. My daughter and I too off to go hiking in the cool weather. Both got it at the same time. Doc thinks the spores got wet and launched into the air and we hiked through a patch of it. It ain't no fun. I'll guaran-damn-tee you that. For me it started as an intense sinus infection complicated by a deviated septum. I was sick with that for two weeks. Then in the shower one morning I did a Netti sinus flush and blew what looked like shower mold out of my face holes. Then it hit my lungs shortly there after and became VF.

We had saved up for some home modifications, had a fat refund coming from the IRS and a bonus check. VF and the hospital trips sucked that all away. POOF! But so glad I was able to do that w/o debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blendingin View Post
    GT why are you restricting protein and fats if you are just trying to control sugar?
    Not really "trying" to restrict fats and protein. Just trying to balance the ratio that MyFitnessPal says I should be eating.

I don't understand what you are doing.
    Me either... :-(

Can you explain more about your diet choices?
    Probably not. Just trying to eat healthier stuff like more grilled chicken, salad, veggies. All while cutting cokes, donuts, fried foods, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tirednurse View Post
    GT if you need some help with this send me a PM and I can try to help you figure out what to do. I help people daily with their diets to control heart disease and diabetes without medications
    THANK YOU! PM Inbound to your box shortly.
    Slippy likes this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Good luck GT. I'm betting on you, now go beat this thing.
    Seneca and GTGallop like this.

Changing diet is hard, especially cutting out refined sugars and carbs. For me it is at least. Best of luck!
    GTGallop and Denton like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links