flour and cornmeal storage.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on flour and cornmeal storage. within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I can not find an answer for my question. Why can you not store processed flour cause was the wheat germ oils will cause it ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By paulag1955
  • 3 Post By dwight55
  • 2 Post By inceptor
  • 1 Post By JustAnotherNut
  • 3 Post By Mad Trapper

Thread: flour and cornmeal storage.

I can not find an answer for my question. Why can you not store processed flour cause was the wheat germ oils will cause it to spoil in time, but why cant cornmeal be stored in this way? thanks for the help..

Quote Originally Posted by akgriffin View Post
    I can not find an answer for my question. Why can you not store processed flour cause was the wheat germ oils will cause it to spoil in time, but why cant cornmeal be stored in this way? thanks for the help..
    Corn also has oil and so cornmeal will also go rancid.
    Redneck likes this.

Don't know about wheat . . . but I've got corn in a barrel out back . . . had it there for years . . . feed the birds . . . when I need corn meal . . . go get it . . . run it thru the blender. . . . sieve it . . . make corn bread.

My wife likes her store bought stuff better though.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have a 10lb bag of all purpose flour in a mylar bag with an o2 absorber just to see how it would do. It's been in there now about 5 years. I have #10 cans of both ground flour and wheat to be ground. Shelf life on both of those is supposed to be about 25yrs.

Right after the pandemic started and the shelves were bare, I was going to open the mylar bag. I asked people who are as near experts I can find about how good it would be and they told me this is how they store flour and it should be fine. They and their parents have been storing food all their lives. I didn't have to open it yet as the store I shop at had 3 bags on the shelf the next time I went.
    dwight55 and Inor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I have a 10lb bag of all purpose flour in a mylar bag with an o2 absorber just to see how it would do. It's been in there now about 5 years. I have #10 cans of both ground flour and wheat to be ground. Shelf life on both of those is supposed to be about 25yrs.

Right after the pandemic started and the shelves were bare, I was going to open the mylar bag. I asked people who are as near experts I can find about how good it would be and they told me this is how they store flour and it should be fine. They and their parents have been storing food all their lives. I didn't have to open it yet as the store I shop at had 3 bags on the shelf the next time I went.
    It wouldn't hurt to rotate that bag of flour.....while new flour is still available, use the old one you have had stored and replace with new ones. See if it's still good & works like fresh and if so, then you know you have atleast another 5 years or more from the new flour stored.
    inceptor likes this.

Dried & stored corn kernels and wheat berries last much longer than already ground and/or processed flours/meals. Plus if you have the space, they can be planted to grow more. Cornmeal &/or flour can either go bad or get buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Dried & stored corn kernels and wheat berries last much longer than already ground and/or processed flours/meals. Plus if you have the space, they can be planted to grow more. Cornmeal &/or flour can either go bad or get buggy.
    Not sure about wheat, but corn seed has a short self life, < < 5 years in good circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Not sure about wheat, but corn seed has a short self life, < < 5 years in good circumstances.
    So in the meantime, grow some. Dent or Flint corn....but not sweet corn.

Actually I know of a lady that grows popcorn, then grinds that for cornmeal. So that's an option too

Sponsored Links