Lifespan of Booze
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Lifespan of Booze

This is a discussion on Lifespan of Booze within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I found this article. Found it interesting. https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/a...eer-shelf-life I think with proper storage most wines/spirits preserve better than stated. What say you all? I also ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Lifespan of Booze

Lifespan of Booze

I found this article. Found it interesting.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/a...eer-shelf-life

I think with proper storage most wines/spirits preserve better than stated. What say you all? I also think quality bottled beer does too.
    RubberDuck likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Packed in glass and high proof should last forever. Wine eventually turns to vingear. Not sure what happens to beer but cant think of any possible happy scenarios at present. On sort of a related side note I know an old beer dumped into a jug of whiskey to make up the level will grow a big ball of funk. Takes it a month or two but it will do it. Found that out trying to grab some spirits out of the evidence cabinet one time. We also had fruit jars full of Dexedrine and Benzedrine and real black mollies..aka West Coast Turn around. One of them and a case of beer a person felt sober for a day or two.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 05-21-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    RubberDuck and A Watchman like this.

Sunlight and air is a killer if sealed and kept from light there is no lifespan of 80 proof + however I will never know it's never going to last that long around here.
    Denton, A Watchman, rswink and 6 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Beer is only good for a few hours
    Bucket-Back since 2004

The friend I spoke of who owned a liquor store, use to dump canned beer after some time period had passed., 4-5 years??

The graves 190 proof and the Bacardi 151 proof i have stored will never go bad.

Still wines do turn into vinegar after many years especially if still in the barrel like my grandfather's did.

Made the stuff for his nightclub during the prohibition times, was turned when we dumped it in the 60's.

The moonshine was still good @190 proof, that we handed out to friends who drank, 2, 35 gallon? wooden kegs of it.

Champagne only improves with age, look at the price of a bottle of 80 year old Dom Perignon, who can afford it???
    StratMaster likes this.

My beer will never ever spoil
    Bucket-Back since 2004

The Good Cop

Life span of a fifth of bourbon in my hands was one day.

“I like whiskey, I always have. And that’s why I never drink it.” Robert E. Lee
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    The friend I spoke of who owned a liquor store, use to dump canned beer after some time period had passed., 4-5 years??

The graves 190 proof and the Bacardi 151 proof i have stored will never go bad.

Still wines do turn into vinegar after many years especially if still in the barrel like my grandfather's did.

Made the stuff for his nightclub during the prohibition times, was turned when we dumped it in the 60's.

The moonshine was still good @190 proof, that we handed out to friends who drank, 2, 35 gallon? wooden kegs of it.

Champagne only improves with age, look at the price of a bottle of 80 year old Dom Perignon, who can afford it???
    During prohibition they used the cornmeal and yeast that was ordered for the kitchen in the club/restaurant to make corn liquor.

The booze was made at home using the attic, cellar and one floor to process the stuff.

Closed, vented fermentation tanks were in the attic and piped into the cellar for cooking in a continuously fed still.

The house gas line was used for the cooker and a burner insert fired the chimney

that killed almost all the smell coming from the process.

They put a "T" fitting on the gas line before the meter to keep the reader from being suspicious about the volume of gas

being used. They had the "T" wrenches used for the street shutoffs.

Water meter was also bypassed.

They only worked the still at night, my father did his share of work and drinking I think.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-23-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    Annie and Deebo like this.

Around many people it does not have much of a life span. That show eating history has tried some old canned and bottle beer with very sad results. the open some old liqueur and it was ok.
    AquaHull likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

It seems to me that beer in bottles can increase the strength of alcohol when stored for a long time. Have you thought about it? Of course, the wine only gets better over time.
    Annie likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links