Canned potatoes - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Canned potatoes

This is a discussion on Canned potatoes within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by Deebo If you say so @ bigwheel , I am sure you had a "tater log" from a gas station at least ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Canned potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    If you say so @bigwheel , I am sure you had a "tater log" from a gas station at least once? Loves are all over Texas on I-40.
    I-20 in Texas as well.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

You guys are the best group of malcontents and dysfunctional friends a guy could have.
    Last night I showed my family my "gas station potato logs" version, a huge success. Also fried some home battered sliced pickles, and some store baught Mozerella cheese sticks.
    We will try mashed potatoes in the instant pot next, then the potato and ham soup, and dehy mashed pots.
    We love you too Deebo, my Man!
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    The Instant Pot is life changing!

I'm exaggerating of course, but only by a little. If all I ever did was make hard cooked eggs with mine, it would have been worth the purchase price, but I also use it to make yogurt (not all models have this setting) and cook rice. Yesterday I threw in some frozen chicken breasts, a can of chicken stock and some taco seasoning and I had shredded chicken for burritos. It's the greatest, and if the power were out out, our Predator 2000w inverter generator could easily power it. Although we haven't had an opportunity to try that yet, knock on wood.

Please, I HATE the internet recipes, but LOVE recipes from people that I trust. Please explain hard cooked eggs and especially this chicken taco time to cook?
    I don't know why we haven't tried more, but the instant pot is easy peasy..
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Please, I HATE the internet recipes, but LOVE recipes from people that I trust. Please explain hard cooked eggs and especially this chicken taco time to cook?
    I don't know why we haven't tried more, but the instant pot is easy peasy..
    Hard cooked eggs are super easy and they peel perfectly every time! You need a steamer basked (easiest) or, if you don't have one, the trivet/rack thingy that came with your instant pot. Put that in the inner pot and add one cup of water.

Add the eggs. If you have a steamer basket you can cook up to 2 dozen at once. If you're using the trivet, one dozen seems to be the practical limit. Put on the lid and make sure it's set to sealing. Cook on Manual/Pressure Cook on high for 5 minutes. I like to make sure that my eggs are well cooked, so I do a natural release for about ten minutes, then vent the rest of the steam manually.

Put the eggs in a deep bowl covered with cold water. When the water gets warm, change it out with fresh cold water. Some people recommend ice water, but that seems like too much trouble. That's all there is to it!

I'm still fiddling with the chicken breasts to get the timing exactly right. Everyone on the internet claims that 25 minutes should be long enough, but I find that some breasts, even though they will shred, are tough. I don't know if that's because I'm not cooking them long enough or I'm cooking them too long.

Thank you @paulag1955 , and this works with farm eggs? Doesn't matter I guess, as I am down to one egg a day. They will boom this summer.
    I will try more stuff in the IP.
    by the way, One cup of water, fro 12 eggs, so they don't have to be covered?
    My IP didn't have a trivet, but I can use the basket from my fry daddy.

Thank you @paulag1955 , and this works with farm eggs? Doesn't matter I guess, as I am down to one egg a day. They will boom this summer.
    I will try more stuff in the IP.
    by the way, One cup of water, fro 12 eggs, so they don't have to be covered?
    My IP didn't have a trivet, but I can use the basket from my fry daddy.
    I have a friend with chickens and she says she gets perfect peeling eggs every time, too. No, the eggs aren't covered. You're making hard cooked eggs, not hard boiled eggs. It's a meaningless difference...the eggs themselves are just the same as it they were boiled (except for the peeling). You will like using that basket better than using a trivet anyway.
    Deebo likes this.

@paolag1955, are your from Texas, do you know Repticlus?

@paolag1955, are your from Texas, do you know Repticlus?
    I am not from Texas (although, believe me, there are many days that I wish I were). I'm a Washington state native. Why do you ask?

Same picture on avatar..
    He hasn't been on in a while.

Same picture on avatar..
    He hasn't been on in a while.
    It must just be a similar picture. This is a photo of the first rattlesnake I killed by myself. It was right up on our porch.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links