Cricket project a great success so far
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Cricket project a great success so far within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I am producing about 1,000 crickets per week, in my very small scale cricket project. After freezing and drying/roasting, they are ground into flour. I ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Cricket project a great success so far

I am producing about 1,000 crickets per week, in my very small scale cricket project. After freezing and drying/roasting, they are ground into flour. I made banana nut muffins and pumpkin raisen muffins this week, utilizing the high protein cricket meal. Even my co-workers at the hospital thought they were very good. After processing, they smell and taste like pistachios - really! So they blend well with just about anything. After muffins and cookies (yummy ways to get people past the "yuk" factor of eating insects) I will use them in pancakes and spaghetti, and then graduate to tacos and stir fry. They are amazingly nutritious, and yield the highest amount of protein for the lowest cost of any other animal source, including fish and poultry. They are a perfect prepper food and a good way to lay low and provide protein for the family, especially during the early days of SHTF, while every other yahoo is out shooting up the local small game and each other. In the event of a crisis, I could increase the production 10X in a matter of weeks. Cutting back is even easier - just feed to chickens. A lot easier and cheaper than raising a beef! I think with if they were mixed with beans and taco seasoning, you wouldn't even know the difference between a beef burrito and a cricket burrito.
    Ragnarök, Zed, A J and 5 others like this.

cool lol. very interesting ive never read about how to bake with insects...I do love pistachios too..out of curiosity how long do you roast them? would you consider posting the recipe here?
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

tks

I think I see an Amazon book in your future mame
    TG and Denton like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

There are just not that many resources out there so this is very much an experiment. Most of the literature is for raising them to feed reptiles and amphibians - not larger scale for human consumption. I would love to visit a commercial cricket farm to see some of the details such as population densities, feed ratios, watering systems, etc. My processes are too labor intensive at present. It takes me about 3 hours a week which is fine, but if I ever increased production significantly, I would need to do it more efficiently.

But...... to dry roast, I simply spread them out on a large baking sheet and put them in the oven on low heat until they are dry. At 200 degrees it takes a couple of hours, but my result is similar to ground pecans - like a meal, rather than the fine powder I've read about. So I might need to get them a bit dryer. I also need to try drying them in the solar oven. I store the meal in the freezer.

Didn't think of that, but a cricket cookbook would be a great idea! Since I adapt all my recipes to be Gluten Free, it would serve a duel purpose. I don't have to know all the fine details of raising them in order to cook with them do I? great idea. Thanks. Hmmmmm... Now the wheels are turning. I really do think that entamophagy (eating insects) is going to become more popular as a practical, green protein source. It's the new sushi. The rest of the world does it - time we caught up.
    Last edited by RNprepper; 11-05-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    Zed, TG and Slippy like this.

tks

Quote Originally Posted by RNprepper View Post
    There are just not that many resources out there so this is very much an experiment. I would love to visit a commercial cricket farm to see some of the details such as population densities, feed ratios, watering systems, etc. But...... to dry roast, I am simply spread them out on a large baking sheet and putting them in the oven on low heat until they are dry. At 200 degrees it took a couple of hours, but my result was similar to ground pecans - like a meal, rather than the fine powder I've read about. So I might need to get them a bit dryer. Didn't make any difference for the muffins, however.

Didn't think of that, but a cricket cookbook would be a great idea! Since I adapt all my recipes to be Gluten Free, it would serve a duel purpose. I don't have to know all the fine details of raising them in order to cook with them do I? great idea. Thanks. Hmmmmm... Now the wheels are turning. I really do think that entamophagy (eating insects) is going to become more popular as a practical, green protein source. It's the new sushi. The rest of the world does it - time we caught up.
    You could make enough to expand your operation.
    RNprepper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tks View Post
    You could make enough to expand your operation.
    Or retire! When I learned how many thousands of crickets are sold per week in just one local pet store, I was astounded. Supplying crickets to just that one store would yield about $20,000/year profit. Let's see - pet store business + cook book + Arizona Cricket Bars (protein bars made from local pecans, honey, mesquite flour, dates, and crickets) = retirement income!
    Kahlan, Zed, MrsInor and 3 others like this.

tks

I'd be willing to bet that it is an untapped market. I'd check out amazon digital publishing. My niece does digital books and so far she's been paying for college off her earnings.
    RNprepper likes this.

Zed

RNprepper do post few pics regarding your endeavour.

A J

You said ".. to dry roast, I simply spread them out on a large baking sheet and put them in the oven on low heat until they are dry...."

All I could envision is crickets jumping all over the inside of the oven!

Pictures would be worth a 1000 words. Do you kill them first? smashed? diced? or is the sheet actually a sheet with a screen lid?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
    AJ
    "Be careful what you post on the net, website owners will undo your edits and restore deleted things to serve THEIR needs and ignore those of you and your family"

"Even after they've banned all your friends, that helped create and moderate their website"

Do you ship out of state?
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links