Bugs in my beans
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bugs in my beans

This is a discussion on Bugs in my beans within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I'm told sometimes that when you buy dry beans they might have bugs or bug eggs in them. If I dry vacuum packed them in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bugs in my beans

Bugs in my beans

I'm told sometimes that when you buy dry beans they might have bugs or bug eggs in them.
    If I dry vacuum packed them in a canning jar would the vacuum kill them? I would think it
    would be hard to breath in a vacuum.
    Slippy likes this.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Mylar with Oxygen absorbers works great. Just make sure you get a good seal and check them 24 hours after your seal them to make sure of no air leaks.

Dry canning works but we prefer the mylar bag option due to volume and space.

Side note, we dry canned some Ritz crackers 7 years ago and we popped one open recently and the crackers were fresh and crispy as if they were new in a box!

Yep...Uncle Slippy has the right idea on this. Back when first started to prep..you was supposed to put the beans..or wheat oats..etc..in a plastic bucket and put a chunk of dry ice on top which allegedly since it was heavier than air..it sink down into the bucket to expell the O 2. After its sunk you put the lid on it and filled up more to hold up your bed. Most of the know how came from the Mo Mos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Freeze your beans in your freezer for 24 hours. Then do the vac seal thing. Freezing will kill any potential eggs

Vacuum sealins usually isn't a hard vac. Use the mylar bag and oxygen absorbers. Any bugs remains in the beans just add to the protein content.
    Slippy likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Freeze your beans in your freezer for 24 hours. Then do the vac seal thing. Freezing will kill any potential eggs
    We do this with not only beans, but rice as well.
    Never had any problems with weevils.
    Ragnarök, Annie and Kauboy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Does freezing beans add moisture through the original bags?
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

I was really wanting to use canning jars. I mean I am going to have a bunch of
    canning jars and lids in my preps. Why store them empty? Save some room if I
    fill the jars with beans or any of my preps.
    So the question is,,,,
    I'm told sometimes that when you buy dry beans they might have bugs or bug eggs in them.
    If I dry vacuum packed them in a canning jar would the vacuum kill them? I would think it
    would be hard to breath in a vacuum.

Wow good plan. Thanks. That should certainly knock the weevils and eggs for a loop. Thats why old folks should store the flour and cornmeal in the freezer most likely
    Annie likes this.

Hummmmm where I live I have seen it drop to below zero for days on end and in the spring we
    still have plenty of bugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links