Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store

This is a discussion on Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by Annie he w hite flour's good for 10 years they say "White flour can be used in breads, baked goods, and more. ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    he white flour's good for 10 years they say
    "White flour can be used in breads, baked goods, and more. Each case contains 6 no. 10 cans. The estimated shelf life of this product is 10 years if stored in a cool, dry place. See nutritional information in Details tab. "
    Well I just wandered over to the shelves and checked. I still have two #10 cans of flour that are just over 11 years old so I'll pop one open in the next few days and take a look. I did look and the cans I have of sugar, oats, and macaroni are marked for 30 year storage. Some of the others like dehydrated apple slices don't have anything marked that I could read without my glasses, so maybe I'll pop one each of those too and report back.

Somewhere on the bottom shelf I have a couple of cans that my wife ordered back in the dark ages of "hard red wheat". I buried them in the back because we don't have a wheat grinder and I'm not sure we would know what to do with flour made from that type of wheat if we did. I should probably see if it's something that some of the wildlife would like.
    Annie and StratMaster like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - James Mattis Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
    Well I just wandered over to the shelves and checked. I still have two #10 cans of flour that are just over 11 years old so I'll pop one open in the next few days and take a look. I did look and the cans I have of sugar, oats, and macaroni are marked for 30 year storage. Some of the others like dehydrated apple slices don't have anything marked that I could read without my glasses, so maybe I'll pop one each of those too and report back.

Somewhere on the bottom shelf I have a couple of cans that my wife ordered back in the dark ages of "hard red wheat". I buried them in the back because we don't have a wheat grinder and I'm not sure we would know what to do with flour made from that type of wheat if we did. I should probably see if it's something that some of the wildlife would like.
    It's 30 years on the apple slices, too.

I Can't remember where I heard this, but I'm pretty sure someone said you can boil the hard red and white wheat if you don't have a grinder. I haven't got a grinder either. If it came to it, I'll boil the stuff. Here's hoping we'll never have to test that out.
    Last edited by Annie; 05-10-2019 at 03:08 AM.
    StratMaster likes this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Ya know, I'm trying to stay away from refined carbs. But my family really, really likes my French bread. So I do make it every so often. Two loaves (the size of a pound cake) will probably be nearly gone by the end of the day. In an emergency, I'm sure warm bread fresh out of the oven (or solar oven) would be a welcome thing. If you're using strait up all purpose flour as opposed to bread flour, you need gluten. The recipe calls for bread flour, salt, sugar, water and yeast. That's all. No dairy.

Flour's also handy for tortillas.
    Tortillas! The prepper's best friend. You can take any number of canned goods - diced tomatoes, refried beans, canned chicken, beef, or pork, black olives - and have a yummy hot dinner ready toot sweet!
    Annie and The Tourist like this.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Tortillas! The prepper's best friend. You can take any number of canned goods - diced tomatoes, refried beans, canned chicken, beef, or pork, black olives - and have a yummy hot dinner ready toot sweet!
    Yes, very handy!

I recently found a recipe for keto tortillas. Tried it. They're pretty good.

StratMaster likes this.

Annie, thanks for the lead on gluten. I must admit that I do not often go with my wife to the grocery store, but when she sends me for an item I have never seen packaged gluten. Then again, I'm not sure I really looked. We're cooking more at home, and I'm hoping that we try some bread. I do not eat a lot of it, mostly flat-bread. But it would be nice to have some options.
    Annie likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Yes, very handy!

Annie,
    Did you make the tortillas from the first video? She never said how hot to get the skillet. Do you know what heat to have on the skillet for these? I would like to try.

Super Moderator

Annie,
    Did you make the tortillas from the first video? She never said how hot to get the skillet. Do you know what heat to have on the skillet for these? I would like to try.
    Yes, I've made--sort of. I followed her recipe except for switching out the canola for vegetable oil. I personally like a little more salt than she added here, but otherwise the recipe's really good.

This Lady (below) says 375 is the right temp. I don't know how you can tell that on a cast iron pan, which is what I use. The way I tell is by using my eyes, ears and nose, and then tasting, lol. You want it to stay in the pan long enough to get the flour taste cooked out, but (obviously) not so long that you burn it. ETA: the Lady below uses wax paper to roll the dough. Good idea!

BTW, I'm doing both the flour and the low carb (almond) tortillas tonight. I've got cheese, salsa and refried beans. That and a green salad is what we're calling dinner here.
    Last edited by Annie; 05-10-2019 at 08:40 AM.
    StratMaster and stevekozak like this.

Super Moderator

I had it in mind to put some of the kale remains from my green drink this morning into the tortillas.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Here's what the plain ones look like. The kale tortillas could have been mixed a little better. Next time!

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    StratMaster and stevekozak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post

I opened a can of that 11 year old flour. It looked like flour and the texture seemed like flour, but it smelled kind of off. It went in the trash with the one other can I had of that vintage so evidently it doesn't last 11 years.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - James Mattis Hidden Content

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links