Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store

This is a discussion on Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by Mad Trapper Trust me on the fact you need a better sealed container. I taught organic chemistry for > 20 years and ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Foods I'll never store long term vs. foods I'll always store

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Trust me on the fact you need a better sealed container.

I taught organic chemistry for > 20 years and worked with many compounds much more moisture sensitive than sugar. Some would decompose just exposed to air.
    I've heard it from reputable food storage sources I trust (from LDS) that you can keep it in your attic or your garage.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Honey! Yes I agree honey is much better than sugar cane granules. It is more expensive by far but it is superior.

I have around 60 pounds of honey...I also brew with it so I’m not just a Pooh bear...
    Annie, stevekozak and StratMaster like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Honey! Yes I agree honey is much better than sugar cane granules. It is more expensive by far but it is superior.

I have around 60 pounds of honey...I also brew with it so I’m not just a Pooh bear...
    Yes honey is much better! It can be used as an antiseptic to treat wounds, and ingested has healing properties.

I've brewed with it, but not mead. I add it to a hard cider ferment I call "cimead".

I've thought of getting some hives but don't want to deal with the bear problem (electric fencing).
    Ragnarök likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    Have you tried the flour from the LDS cannery? I store quite a bit of it, but only personally know it's good for 4-5 years so far. I keep sugar in the #10 cans on hand as well.
    Most of those LDS #10 cans are supposed to be good for at least 25 years if you don't put them in really warm temps.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - James Mattis Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Yes honey is much better! It can be used as an antiseptic to treat wounds, and ingested has healing properties.

I've brewed with it, but not mead. I add it to a hard cider ferment I call "cimead".

I've thought of getting some hives but don't want to deal with the bear problem (electric fencing).
    Bears would be an issue, but you could elevate the hives so the bears couldn’t reach them. No need for electric fence then.

Do you mind sharing your Cimead recipe?
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
    Most of those LDS #10 cans are supposed to be good for at least 25 years if you don't put them in really warm temps.
    he white flour's good for 10 years they say
    "White flour can be used in breads, baked goods, and more. Each case contains 6 no. 10 cans. The estimated shelf life of this product is 10 years if stored in a cool, dry place. See nutritional information in Details tab. "

Annie, I always thought that "white flour" was more for cakes and cookies. Does it have a superior or long term usage for prepper storage?
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Annie, I always thought that "white flour" was more for cakes and cookies. Does it have a superior or long term usage for prepper storage?
    Ya know, I'm trying to stay away from refined carbs. But my family really, really likes my French bread. So I do make it every so often. Two loaves (the size of a pound cake) will probably be nearly gone by the end of the day. In an emergency, I'm sure warm bread fresh out of the oven (or solar oven) would be a welcome thing. If you're using strait up all purpose flour as opposed to bread flour, you need gluten. The recipe calls for bread flour, salt, sugar, water and yeast. That's all. No dairy.

Flour's also handy for tortillas.
    StratMaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    If you're using strait up all purpose flour as opposed to bread flour, you need gluten.
    This might sound odd, but I've never seen any packaging marked "gluten." I'm not even sure what it is.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    This might sound odd, but I've never seen any packaging marked "gluten." I'm not even sure what it is.
    Here ya go.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links