What is the going rate of MRE's?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What is the going rate of MRE's? within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; in the next few days I will be in the DC area and have a bit of time to shop near Rockville MD. Will be ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

in the next few days I will be in the DC area and have a bit of time to shop near Rockville MD. Will be going to Rangers Surplus, an Army Navy type store and plan to pick up some choice items that I don't see in my neck of the woods very often. there are just some items I would prefer to buy in person even though I know they are more expensive that way. Anyway I'm planning on picking up some MREs I spoke with the store personnel today and they said they have cases, they have individuals but the heating elements are sold separately. WTF? I have only ever bought 2 MREs, I ate one and saved the other and they both have the heat element. Anyone bought recently? What flavor did you like and enjoy most? which was really bad and should avoid? My thinking (might be wrong) is that an abundance of something on the shelf means? Cacca? The MRE that I currently have in the bag is the chicken pulled in buffalo sauce. I might do some net shopping for prices today. Developing a shopping list and am gonna have at it!

Major Surplus might be a good place to look
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

I just did some Amazon shopping, it seems that the going rate for a case of 12 is $75 to $85 w/heaters. 1/2 case $55-$60, 4 pack $25ish. So I have an established base line. There is a store in Indianapolis I stop at that does the same thing, they get the MRE and then break them all apart and sell the individual parts. more expensive that way. I want the whole deal packed up and unmolested. With heater.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I think the cold weather ones are the best. Cost more, but lighter as they're freeze-dried (light weight) Mountain House or similar, add hot water (but you can munch them dry if you like). They are also scarcer and cost more. Probably just made them scarcer by saying this here, hehehe. I like the rice and chicken...

A local surplus store here has civie mre's at $95.00 a case of 12.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

Unless you keep them cool, under 70 degrees, the shelf life is short. Not worth it in my opinion. Either dehydrate your own food or invest in Mountain House.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to
    time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

And something seldom considered: you're going to be under high stress, high exercise, not on your normal diet, and possibly environmentally stressed (hot,cold,rained on...). This stress has been known to trickle down to your intestins (if ya know what I mean). I would kinda stay clear of highly spicy meals in favor of meat-and-potatoes boring. Leave the Mexican special until you're safe in your BOL.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

I have tried a lot of them and my favorite were the chili macaroni , pasta with sausage tomato sauce and the cherry turnover . The rest are ok and useful for something different . Guys trade a lot and are always ready to offer a lot for the three mentioned .... lol

With the prices they charge for them these days it seems best to get a dehydrator and make your own . I bought the 9 tray excalibur a few years back and love it . I make a truck load of jerky in it through out a year and everyone is crazy for it .

Going rate: I think 4-6 year enlistment for most

Having the MRE's without the heating element is normal when they are sold at surplus. They are not able to be shipped through UPS without specalized shipping with the heat element in place (it contains mercury) if I remember correctly. But MRE's can be eaten cold or can be utilized as indgrediants to a bigger meal.

My favorite meal will always be Chicken with Salsa.. take all contents and add together.. barter for tobascco and you are set. Best long term meals for hiking/patrolling are your beaf patty or veggy burger. Contains wheat snack break, protein patties (for lack of better words) and other "snacks". The entire MRE can be packed away and eaten piece by piece without need of fork or stopping.

They are overpriced and better options out there; but if you have the means to get some for little to no cost I would always say go for it. Besides nothing can help cure a hangover than eating a MRE after a heavy night of drinking... solidify and release next morning

honestly out of everything i looked at mass gainer in mylar vaccum sealed bags is freakin stable super nutrious light and cheap plus i can use and rotate stock on a regular basis also would help you stay hydrated. my two cents calories>packaging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links