Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System

This is a discussion on Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Hey guys. I'm starting a new project this week involving an IBC Tote as a water storage device that will be fed by rain gutters ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System

Lightbulb Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System

Hey guys. I'm starting a new project this week involving an IBC Tote as a water storage device that will be fed by rain gutters on my shed. I worked on the foundation today to make sure this beast will be level and won't sink into the mud if it rains.

Next week I am going to install the gutters and figure out how to direct the water into the tank. I'll post more later.
    Zed, hardcore and Salt-N-Pepper like this.

I haven't installed it or used it yet but I bought one of these for catching the rain for my containment
    If whatever you are filling gets full the water will by pass and go down the spouting as normal (we will see)
    Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 09-23-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Very cool. Thanks for the movie.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I haven't installed it or used it yet but I bought one of these for catching the rain for my containment
    If whatever you are filling gets full the water will by pass and go down the spouting as normal (we will see)
    Any details on that? Please put it out here....

Quote Originally Posted by Urinal Cake View Post
    Any details on that? Please put it out here....
    Here you go.

http://www.oateymystic.com/

Here is the next video installment:

This one covers how to protect the tote from the sun by making a cover out of sun shade fabric.

I have 4 of those bad boys (275 gal) I am in the process f hooking up to a catchment system that comes off my roof. The current plan will get 100% of the back of the roof to feed them, and I hope to include 60% of the front of the house next spring. I built a seriously over-engineered deck to hold them and provide a level surface. I'm hoping to get the system actually working (it's an "in the works" project right now) by this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Egyas View Post
    I have 4 of those bad boys (275 gal) I am in the process f hooking up to a catchment system that comes off my roof. The current plan will get 100% of the back of the roof to feed them, and I hope to include 60% of the front of the house next spring. I built a seriously over-engineered deck to hold them and provide a level surface. I'm hoping to get the system actually working (it's an "in the works" project right now) by this fall.
    Awesome. I wish I had room for more of these. What are you going to do with all that water?

Quote Originally Posted by LDSreliance View Post
    Awesome. I wish I had room for more of these. What are you going to do with all that water?
    For now, it'll be overkill for the garden. I have built and am in the process of installing 2 4'x16' garden boxes, 1 4'x10' box, and 1 4'x8' hanging garden (will be using rain gutters to hang between 8 and 12 sections of hanging hardens for shallow rooted plants like radishes). We also have 2 potato boxes built (2.5'x8' and 3'x6') which we won't be using them until planting time, and we have a ton of berry bushes, and the rhubarb planted behind the shed.

After the crash we all believe is coming, it'll be for drinking water as well. It'll be filtered and boiled first though. That is, *IF* I ever get the damned project finished and working! lol Too many projects, not enough time OR money!

i got a guy coming over to put a metal roof on the man cave early next week. Holler is you need him.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links