Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System

This is a discussion on Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; This was on the site You may not realize it, but 623 gallons of water fall on an average 1,000 sq. ft. residental roof, during ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System

Retired Moderator

This was on the site
    You may not realize it, but 623 gallons of water fall on an average 1,000 sq. ft. residental roof, during a period of one-inch of rain * !

With a system that is 80% efficient at catching rainwater, the amount of rainwater that can be collected is significant. Assuming 30" of annual rainfall (or 2.5" per month**), 2,000 gallons of rainwater per month can be harvested using the Mystic™ Rainwater Collection System!

Our “Mystic Rainfall Calculator” allows you to calculate the average rainfall of a specified location in a fun and interactive format! The calculator provides both monthly and annual averages for a variety of major cities across America and Canada. Simply select the city closest to the preferred geographic location, along with the desired month, to see how many inches of rain falls in that area (on average).
    edited to add url: http://www.oateymystic.com/HowMuchRa...nICollect.aspx
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Senior Member R.I.P.

.6gal from one square foot of roof from an inch of rain.
    thesean75 likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by thesean75 View Post
    Does anyone have the math on how many sqft of rain collecting area (rooftop) would generally be enough to water a group of people and plants/livestock?
    To get by you really need 5 gallons of purified water per person per day. More or less depending on food stores. Are most of your food stores canned stuff with water already in it or dry goods like beans & rice? The 5 gallons includes washing dishes but not include showers or laundry.

If I need hot water for whatever reason I filter threw coffee filters then boil. Other then that I use ceramic filters. With two food grade buckets & two ceramic filters you can easily filter 10 gallons of water per day.

Rain is not consistent so will be times of more water then you can use & other times of worry. So simply put, collect every drop of rain water that you can.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    To get by you really need 5 gallons of purified water per person per day. More or less depending on food stores. Are most of your food stores canned stuff with water already in it or dry goods like beans & rice? The 5 gallons includes washing dishes but not include showers or laundry.

If I need hot water for whatever reason I filter threw coffee filters then boil. Other then that I use ceramic filters. With two food grade buckets & two ceramic filters you can easily filter 10 gallons of water per day.

Rain is not consistent so will be times of more water then you can use & other times of worry. So simply put, collect every drop of rain water that you can.
    Don't forget to run rainwater through a charcoal filter first. That should take care of acid rain.

P.s. auntie, I would move out of that jurisdiction immediately. Those people may have other dangerously stupid ideas and you don't want to take chances!
    Last edited by thepeartree; 10-05-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Ceramic filters have activated charcoal.

Here is the last installment in the installation. Enjoy!

Auntie and Zed like this.

Curious to know what was inside those containers?!?! I saw the corrosive label on the container in the first vid! wouldn't it be safer to get a water container from a local farm supplies? Name:  notsure.gif
Views: 83
Size:  275 Bytes
    BuckB Are you an organ donor? If not put your organs where your mouth is. An easy way to end organ shortages is for everyone to sign up to be a donor. You don't need to murder petty criminals for that purpose. - will2

It wasn't a corrosive label. All detergents and soaps and cleansers used in food prep (like what was in this container) has those kind of labels. It is a food grade container. It just needs to be rinsed out thoroughly before use.

Sure hope you're right.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by LDSreliance View Post
    It wasn't a corrosive label. All detergents and soaps and cleansers used in food prep (like what was in this container) has those kind of labels. It is a food grade container. It just needs to be rinsed out thoroughly before use.
    If the picture shows a burning finger...then it is caustic! check the U.N. number or by god at least google for an MSDS!!!! and that stuff is likely to be in the plastic for ever!! just wait till the sun hits it! I'm sure you've done your home work, but i'm lookin out for ya! WHMIS, and TDG are good to have so you know how to read the labels!

Name:  whmis_e.gif
Views: 101
Size:  2.5 KB
    Last edited by jro1; 10-07-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    BuckB Are you an organ donor? If not put your organs where your mouth is. An easy way to end organ shortages is for everyone to sign up to be a donor. You don't need to murder petty criminals for that purpose. - will2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links