Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System

This is a discussion on Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; LDS those were good videos...have you given a thought about dirt, bird guano entering your system...any method to clean before entering....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Installing a DIY Rain Catchment System

Zed

LDS those were good videos...have you given a thought about dirt, bird guano entering your system...any method to clean before entering.

Zed

keep more of these videos coming

Quote Originally Posted by Egyas View Post
    For now, it'll be overkill for the garden. I have built and am in the process of installing 2 4'x16' garden boxes, 1 4'x10' box, and 1 4'x8' hanging garden (will be using rain gutters to hang between 8 and 12 sections of hanging hardens for shallow rooted plants like radishes). We also have 2 potato boxes built (2.5'x8' and 3'x6') which we won't be using them until planting time, and we have a ton of berry bushes, and the rhubarb planted behind the shed.

After the crash we all believe is coming, it'll be for drinking water as well. It'll be filtered and boiled first though. That is, *IF* I ever get the damned project finished and working! lol Too many projects, not enough time OR money!
    I hear ya. I have a list of at least 2 dozen projects that I want to start right away just no time or funds. I also have 3-4 of them that need some more finishing work before me (and my wife) will be satisfied with the results.

My setup is for the same 2 purposes. I need an automatic way to water my garden so that the water soaks the roots properly but I also want drinking water and a way to replenish it if something disastrous happens. I estimate that 275 gallons gives my family of 5 about 100 days of drinking water. Not great but it is a start.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    LDS those were good videos...have you given a thought about dirt, bird guano entering your system...any method to clean before entering.
    Thanks for the feedback! I love making videos and helping people get ideas of their own.

As for filtration, there really is no way to prevent dissolvable materials from entering the system. The water would have to be boiled before drinking. But having access to fresh water could be critical someday and I am in suburbia with no nearby decent size water source. I will put in filtration for large particles such as leaves and branches but I don't know what you can do about bird poop.

Howdy neighbor (literately). Two things i did to help with bird poop etc. First is rain gutter leaf protectors. They are like a foam triangle that snugly fit in the gutter, i placed a couple by down spout. Then the other is a relief pipe below where water goes to tank. instead of an elbow going to tank, put in a T. Below the T is just a pipe that is capped off and a water spicket on the end (just to drain it). So the 3 ft of pipe below the T takes in the first 3 or so gallons (the dirtiest water) before it diverts to my tank. Can post some pictures tomorrow if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Prepper View Post
    Howdy neighbor (literately). Two things i did to help with bird poop etc. First is rain gutter leaf protectors. They are like a foam triangle that snugly fit in the gutter, i placed a couple by down spout. Then the other is a relief pipe below where water goes to tank. instead of an elbow going to tank, put in a T. Below the T is just a pipe that is capped off and a water spicket on the end (just to drain it). So the 3 ft of pipe below the T takes in the first 3 or so gallons (the dirtiest water) before it diverts to my tank. Can post some pictures tomorrow if needed.
    That's effective... At least until that leg of the tee fills up. At that point, anthing big or solid enough to be carried by water WILL eventually show up downstream. I would add a significant settling "pond", like perhaps a 55 gallon drum. Pipe water in on one side of the top and out on the other. Just so there's no chance of direct in-out flow. You're going to have to worry about TDS downstream, but the barrel will keep out the frogs without a worry.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Is guano sorta like caca?
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Is guano sorta like caca?
    Try a little of each and let us know
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Retired Moderator

I have two of those totes that I have filled from the outside faucet. We are not legally allowed to collect rain water. If our well had not dried up due to droughts then I could have applied for an exemption. a

We use what we call an in/out system to keep it full. A hose is connected to one end from the faucet and another hose is connected to the other end. We use this for watering gardens that are not close to the house and providing our animals with water. It keeps the water fresh and we always have a supply if needed.

Although it is permissible to direct your residential property roof downspouts toward landscaped areas, unless you own a specific type of exempt well permit, you cannot collect rainwater in any other manner, such as storage in a cistern or tank, for later use

Rainwater Collection and Graywater Reuse
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Does anyone have the math on how many sqft of rain collecting area (rooftop) would generally be enough to water a group of people and plants/livestock?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links