Rice or beans? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rice or beans?

This is a discussion on Rice or beans? within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I packed 100 lbs of mixed beans and 100 lbs of white rice in 5 gallon buckets with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. This is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Rice or beans?

I packed 100 lbs of mixed beans and 100 lbs of white rice in 5 gallon buckets with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. This is some of my emergency food.

The beans are dark kidney, black beans and great northern.

I’ve been thinking about getting smaller buckets cause they are a pain to fit in my living space. Been thinking about getting some quinoa and couscous stored likewise.
    Rellgar likes this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Individual serving sized cans of Beanie Weenies seems the best prepper route. Every food group known to man plus water in those things. It seems natures most perfect food ranking up near Mothers Milks.
    StratMaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Individual serving sized cans of Beanie Weenies seems the best prepper route. Every food group known to man plus water in those things. It seems natures most perfect food ranking up near Mothers Milks.
    Could you imagine drinking the beanie weenie water? ur right but damn.
    bigwheel likes this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well nobody said the end of the world was going to be any day on the beach. lol.
    Ragnarök and StratMaster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Well nobody said the end of the world was going to be any day on the beach. lol.
    I always point to my bourbon and wine stash and say to my compatriots: "Hey, just because it's the end of the world, that doesn't mean we have to live like SAVAGES".
    hawgrider and Rellgar like this.

And its great with rice and beans!! I raise those here in TX. cheaper than hunting them and make afew extra bucks selling them. License is cheap too

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    I packed 100 lbs of mixed beans and 100 lbs of white rice in 5 gallon buckets with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. This is some of my emergency food.

The beans are dark kidney, black beans and great northern.

I’ve been thinking about getting smaller buckets cause they are a pain to fit in my living space. Been thinking about getting some quinoa and couscous stored likewise.

"mixed beans" - packed the beans separately or did a mixed packing of the 3 kinds? ... beans have an assorted storage longevity - the bigger variety seem to get tougher sooner - you could land up sorting out those beans later if you mix them - pressure cook some longer than others - grind for flour mixing .....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

I mixed the three bean varieties together. I didn’t know that beans differed largely from each other in aging.

The OP had me a bit puzzled. Rice (white) and beans (desired varieties) are about the best food prepps one can store. They provide a great range of vitamins, minerals, calories and carbs. They store for a long time 10-20+ years and they cost so little its the best food for the money. I store them in food grade buckets that I get for free from local grocers bakeries. 2-5 gallon buckets with sealable lids. I wash and sterilize them. I pack the rice and beans seperately in there own buckets. I add some food grade desiccant packets (absorb moisture) and a few bay leafs (kills bugs and prevents hatching) from my tree and seal them up. Beans do harden with age at different rates. They are still good to eat and will soften, you just need to slow cook them longer.
    Having grew up in southern louisiana beans and rice are a staple for me. I store red kidney beans, great northern, navy and pinto.
    Adding any protien makes a tasty meal or add more water and foraged edible plants and seasoning for a great soup. Stock up on the hot sauce to
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rellgar View Post
    The OP had me a bit puzzled. Rice (white) and beans (desired varieties) are about the best food prepps one can store. They provide a great range of vitamins, minerals, calories and carbs. They store for a long time 10-20+ years and they cost so little its the best food for the money. I store them in food grade buckets that I get for free from local grocers bakeries. 2-5 gallon buckets with sealable lids. I wash and sterilize them. I pack the rice and beans seperately in there own buckets. I add some food grade desiccant packets (absorb moisture) and a few bay leafs (kills bugs and prevents hatching) from my tree and seal them up. Beans do harden with age at different rates. They are still good to eat and will soften, you just need to slow cook them longer.
    Having grew up in southern louisiana beans and rice are a staple for me. I store red kidney beans, great northern, navy and pinto.
    Adding any protien makes a tasty meal or add more water and foraged edible plants and seasoning for a great soup. Stock up on the hot sauce to
    What's life without red beans and rice?
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links