Eating Off the Land. What Do You Know? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Eating Off the Land. What Do You Know?

This is a discussion on Eating Off the Land. What Do You Know? within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by bigwheel The hardest whipping I have ever got as a child was when my Daddy sent me hunting with two smooth rocks ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Eating Off the Land. What Do You Know?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The hardest whipping I have ever got as a child was when my Daddy sent me hunting with two smooth rocks and I only came back with one squirrel for supper. The hardest whipping he ever gave my Mama was when she went out and bought groceries when there was nary a drop of whiskey in the house.
    Sounds like a hard man, for sure.

I'm probably way too serious about this, but somebody's got to issue grown-up words of caution...

Knowledge, books and even some firsthand experience of building snares, cooking up some greens and eating mushrooms is all well and good, but put any combination of those things in the context of a real-life scenario that includes variations in activity level, terrain, weather, seasons, competing wildlife, other foragers and potentially hostile surroundings, etc. and I can’t imagine maintaining the calorie intake and other bodily needs to survive for long.

For about 45 years I’ve enjoyed numerous planned outings of thru-hiking (covering 15 — 20 miles per day on foot) for periods of 7 — 15 days. Even with calculated provisions of high-calorie food, well regulated water intake and good pre-travel conditioning, your body slowly adapts over a period of a few days into its own survival mode… it begins to economize because of the extended demands put upon it over time. Even athletic conditioning does not prepare your system for things like extended exertion, a sustained duration of even mild exposure and changes in sleep cycle that are almost unavoidable in a survival scenario. The abrupt change in diet and activity will almost assuredly result in either constipation or bouts of diarrhea. Introducing new bacteria from foraged foods into your gut can have serious impact on your system. You can experience swings in body temperature, sweating, chills, mild delirium, stomach and muscle cramping and other reactions that can negatively impact your odds of survival.

My input is, if you plan to utilize a live-off-the-land (LOTL) response to a future survival scenario, begin incorporating as many aspects of that response as possible into your daily life style and diet. Many native cultures lived off the land and lived well, but their bodily systems were adapted from infancy to cope. If you intend to go native at some point in order to survive, you must slowly become native now or you risk not surviving your systems inability to assimilate the plethora of great foods nature has to offer.
    Last edited by pakrat; 03-22-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

@Denton , I saw this & thought you might be interested, as this guy is from Alabama.

Stalking the South's Wild Edibles ? THE BITTER SOUTHERNER
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    I'm probably way too serious about this, but somebody's got to issue grown-up words of caution...

Knowledge, books and even some firsthand experience of building snares, cooking up some greens and eating mushrooms is all well and good, but put any combination of those things in the context of a real-life scenario that includes variations in activity level, terrain, weather, seasons, competing wildlife, other foragers and potentially hostile surroundings, etc. and I can’t imagine maintaining the calorie intake and other bodily needs to survive for long.

For about 45 years I’ve enjoyed numerous planned outings of thru-hiking (covering 15 — 20 miles per day on foot) for periods of 7 — 15 days. Even with calculated provisions of high-calorie food, well regulated water intake and good pre-travel conditioning, your body slowly adapts over a period of a few days into its own survival mode… it begins to economize because of the extended demands put upon it over time. Even athletic conditioning does not prepare your system for things like extended exertion, a sustained duration of even mild exposure and changes in sleep cycle that are almost unavoidable in a survival scenario. The abrupt change in diet and activity will almost assuredly result in either constipation or bouts of diarrhea. Introducing new bacteria from foraged foods into your gut can have serious impact on your system. You can experience swings in body temperature, sweating, chills, mild delirium, stomach and muscle cramping and other reactions that can negatively impact your odds of survival.

My input is, if you plan to utilize a live-off-the-land (LOTL) response to a future survival scenario, begin incorporating as many aspects of that response as possible into your daily life style and diet. Many native cultures lived off the land and lived well, but their bodily systems were adapted from infancy to cope. If you intend to go native at some point in order to survive, you must slowly become native now or you risk not surviving your systems inability to assimilate the plethora of great foods nature has to offer.
    Great post!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not even that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links