homemade goat milk yogurt *pic tutorial*
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on homemade goat milk yogurt *pic tutorial* within the Survival Cookbook forums, part of the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage category; my first time ever making yogurt so i took pics at every step and now i'll share with y'all how it went! measure raw goat ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By walkswithgoats
  • 1 Post By dani
  • 1 Post By Just Sayin'

Thread: homemade goat milk yogurt *pic tutorial*

my first time ever making yogurt so i took pics at every step and now i'll share with y'all how it went!

measure raw goat milk

pour into pot. heat to 100*F

put starter culture (yogurt with live culture in it) in jar

pour warm milk into jar. stir milk and culture gently but thoroughly.

lid on jar

put in pot. fill with hot water (110-120*F) to just below brim of jar lid. put lid on big pot. set on layers of towels.

cover/wrap with blankets. i used 2 thick fleece blankets. every 2 hours i dumped water and added new hot water and rewrapped in blankets. {i put mine in the tub so i knew it wouldnt get knocked over by anyone}

after 8 hrs "incubating"

after 8 more hrs (total 16.5 hours incubating) and about 2hrs in the fridge. thick enough that spoon sinks very slowly. still kinda runny though. i didnt add any thickeners or sweeteners though.

its real tart. i think its from incubating so long makes it more tart. next time i will be trying it with more milk, incubating in a cooler with hot water, adding honey for sweetness, possibly adding gelatin or do half goat milk and half store cow milk (for thicker yogurt). and probably do it all right before bed so i'm not thinkin about it the whole 8 hrs and going nuts over if it will turn out or not.
    dani likes this.
    i'm really tryna make it more then what it is. cause everybody dies, but not everybody lives. ~unknown

question most frequently asked me: "are you amish? do you want to be amish?"
    no i'm not amish... :grin:

I did my yogurt much the same way, but I did incubate in the cooler with the hot water and I do add honey. I used Dannon as my active yogurt. I did some reading and that was the one suggested for a thicker yogurt, but I also used my cow milk. We prefer the taste of goats milk, so we normally drink that one and use the cows milk for yogurt, cheese and butter.
    shotlady likes this.

Nice job there, Walkswithgoats!
    shotlady likes this.
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thank you for taking the time to give us a pictorial about your craft.
    May I ask what happens if shtf and you can get dannon yogurt. what then do you use. also what is the shelf life on homemade yogurt? do you like to add berries?

Once you have a starter, you can just take from your last batch to add to the new one. . .kinda like the friendship bread. You can add whatever you like to your yogurt as in berries. I really like strawberries myself. As to the shelf life, I am not sure. I've never had any that went bad, but I would think around 7 days or so.

Sponsored Links