WEAR A DANG MASK!!!!! When making Slippy's Famous Tobasco Pepper Sauce! - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

WEAR A DANG MASK!!!!! When making Slippy's Famous Tobasco Pepper Sauce!

This is a discussion on WEAR A DANG MASK!!!!! When making Slippy's Famous Tobasco Pepper Sauce! within the Survival Cookbook forums, part of the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage category; Habaneros or scotch bonnets will liven things up. Tabasco? Baby food. #1 Daughter lives in North Carolina and sent me some sauce made with Carolina ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: WEAR A DANG MASK!!!!! When making Slippy's Famous Tobasco Pepper Sauce!

The Good Cop

Habaneros or scotch bonnets will liven things up.
    Tabasco? Baby food.

#1 Daughter lives in North Carolina and sent me some sauce made with Carolina Reapers. The hottest pepper in the world, rated at 1.5 MILLION units on the Scoville scale.
    Haven't tried it yet.

I'm a hot sauce conesieur, wife gave me my own shelf on the fridge door. I'll have a dozen or so bottles of different sauces open for use at any one time.
    Columbia, Trinidad, Mexico, Yucatan, and even St Augustine, Florida.

This stuff here will set you free, rates a 10 on the heat scale. http://www.mohotta.com/product/el-yu...tra-hot-sauce/ This is my favorite of all - I'm down to just 6 bottles in backstock.
    This is ONLY 300,000 Scoville units.

For comparison, tabasco peppers rate at 30,000 to 50,000 Scoville units.
    Slippy, Inor, Michael_Js and 2 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Slippy.. passed the recipe on to my wife and a buddy of mine. I suspect they will jump on making it.

Carolina reaper... makes my eyes water even saying it... as I’ve tried it. We routinely use 9-pot. I think it’s about 3rd on the list. Yeah..family likes hot even the kids.
    Slippy and Michael_Js like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    No secret!
    I start harvesting the Tobasco's when they start to turn Orange and Red. Obviously some green ones get in but no big deal. I put them in large Jars with a Vinegar, Salt and Pinch of Sugar solution. Maybe even a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar. Let the peppers ferment in the fridge for a couple of months or so then cook them in a pot for about a 20 minute simmer.

Let them cool then blend the hell out of them. Strain off the seeds and pour into sauce jars like I have in the pic.

Getting the vinegar to pepper ratio is the key and sometimes you can add water to thin out the solution a bit. I didn't add any water to this batch because I thought the liquid ratio was good but in hindsight its still thick.

I suspect you could add Arizona or New Mexico chili peppers to the concoction or even some red bell peppers if you wanted to tame down the heat.

Good luck
    There is no such thing as too hot.

Thanks for the info! I am going to try it because I am plain out of ideas on what to do with the rest of the peppers this year. I dried a bunch and ground them up into powder. We made a couple chili ristas out of some. Mrs Inor even made some jelly out of them. We have been eating hot stir-fry and chili lately like it is going out of style. They are the only thing that grew well in our gardens this year due to our drought, but they grew like mad.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Slip.....didn't we have this same/similar conversation about wearing PPE while working with hot peppers a while back?????? Hopefully you'll remember by the time you process these new peppers.

BTW........what are the amounts of vinegar, salt, sugar vs peppers??? Do you make up the brine solution in a batch then cover the peppers in the jars??? OR do you just add the amounts per jar??? Quarts? Half-gallon? Pints? Inquiring minds want to know this stuff, so cough up the recipe
    Michael_Js and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Slip.....didn't we have this same/similar conversation about wearing PPE while working with hot peppers a while back?????? Hopefully you'll remember by the time you process these new peppers.

BTW........what are the amounts of vinegar, salt, sugar vs peppers??? Do you make up the brine solution in a batch then cover the peppers in the jars??? OR do you just add the amounts per jar??? Quarts? Half-gallon? Pints? Inquiring minds want to know this stuff, so cough up the recipe
    Like most things, it kinda comes to me after I've been Day-Drinking for at least a couple of hours or so...

But...here goes...

I start filling Quart or Half Gallon Jars with Peppers, adding Vinegar to cover the Peppers. When I get to the top, I add nice pour of salt and a spoonful of sugar. This batch used 3 1/2 Quarts. The Peppers ferment for a few months, then I pour into a stock pot, bring to a boil and simmer until my eyes begin to water, usually 2 drinks or so.

I'll taste the mixture and add vinegar or salt if needed. Let them cool and pour into the Ninja Blender or Food Processor and grind them up for a few minutes. After grinding, I pour them into the Flour Sieve and separate seeds from liquid. I save the seeds to toss around my Gray Water Reclamation area to keep critters and Mrs Slippy's Rat Dog away from it.

Pour the sauce into small Hot Sauce Jars and refrigerate.

Seriously, its like BBQ'in...whatever you feel that particular day. Day-Drinkin' Optional of course!

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Habaneros or scotch bonnets will liven things up.
    Tabasco? Baby food.

#1 Daughter lives in North Carolina and sent me some sauce made with Carolina Reapers. The hottest pepper in the world, rated at 1.5 MILLION units on the Scoville scale.
    Haven't tried it yet.

I'm a hot sauce conesieur, wife gave me my own shelf on the fridge door. I'll have a dozen or so bottles of different sauces open for use at any one time.
    Columbia, Trinidad, Mexico, Yucatan, and even St Augustine, Florida.

This stuff here will set you free, rates a 10 on the heat scale. http://www.mohotta.com/product/el-yu...tra-hot-sauce/ This is my favorite of all - I'm down to just 6 bottles in backstock.
    This is ONLY 300,000 Scoville units.

For comparison, tabasco peppers rate at 30,000 to 50,000 Scoville units.
    I saved this site to peruse later. I think I found home. Love hot sauce
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Like most things, it kinda comes to me after I've been Day-Drinking for at least a couple of hours or so...

But...here goes...

I start filling Quart or Half Gallon Jars with Peppers, adding Vinegar to cover the Peppers. When I get to the top, I add nice pour of salt and a spoonful of sugar. This batch used 3 1/2 Quarts. The Peppers ferment for a few months, then I pour into a stock pot, bring to a boil and simmer until my eyes begin to water, usually 2 drinks or so.

I'll taste the mixture and add vinegar or salt if needed. Let them cool and pour into the Ninja Blender or Food Processor and grind them up for a few minutes. After grinding, I pour them into the Flour Sieve and separate seeds from liquid. I save the seeds to toss around my Gray Water Reclamation area to keep critters and Mrs Slippy's Rat Dog away from it.

Pour the sauce into small Hot Sauce Jars and refrigerate.

Seriously, its like BBQ'in...whatever you feel that particular day. Day-Drinkin' Optional of course!
    I shoulda known better than to ask. But thanks for the info on how to do it 'by guess & by golly'.

Just to make sure......you don't add water to the vinegar??? Just use straight vinegar, right?

(actually kinda scary I can understand that jargon )
    Slippy likes this.

We used o make a japalino green shauce whn I was a kid. My Dad learned the hard way that if you don't wear gloves while slicing up the pepper you had BETTER wear gloves when you go to the bathroom!! That stuff doesn't just wash off with a little soap and water like dirt does.

The Good Cop

Just found out one of my customers grows his own Reapers, and Ghost Peppers.
    Makes his own sauce, gave me a bottle.
    Made from Reapers, Ghosts, with some habaneros mixed in.

It's nice and thick, too.
    I haven't tried it yet.

He picked two Reapers right off the plant and gave them to me, so I can get the seeds and grow my own.
    I wonder if the rabbits will mess with them.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Just found out one of my customers grows his own Reapers, and Ghost Peppers.
    Makes his own sauce, gave me a bottle.
    Made from Reapers, Ghosts, with some habaneros mixed in.

It's nice and thick, too.
    I haven't tried it yet.

He picked two Reapers right off the plant and gave them to me, so I can get the seeds and grow my own.
    I wonder if the rabbits will mess with them.
    RPD

We don't grow Ghosts or Reapers but last years Habaneros were a bumper crop. Just started a batch of Slippy's Famous Habanero Hot & Sweet Sauce. Vinegar, Habaneros, Salt and Sugar. Bring to boil and cool. Peppers are cooling and getting ready for the blender;

WEAR A DANG MASK!!!!!  When making Slippy's Famous Tobasco Pepper Sauce!-img_2272-002-.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links