no circuit board suv/truck
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on no circuit board suv/truck within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; So this might sound kind of stupid. but to me the reality of it is really what matters. i was on netflix watching a show ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: no circuit board suv/truck

So this might sound kind of stupid. but to me the reality of it is really what matters. i was on netflix watching a show and in this show all the cars with circuit boards were left unusable. so that got me thinking. i have a brand new car and in the event something happens i have no way to get my family away if needed. that bothers me. i was wondering if anyone knew of a decent suv(preferably) or truck that might not be to costly to have on hand incase SHTF. im new to prepping and im and i know im screwed if anything happened right this second.

Quote Originally Posted by derbar View Post
    So this might sound kind of stupid. but to me the reality of it is really what matters. i was on netflix watching a show and in this show all the cars with circuit boards were left unusable. so that got me thinking. i have a brand new car and in the event something happens i have no way to get my family away if needed. that bothers me. i was wondering if anyone knew of a decent suv(preferably) or truck that might not be to costly to have on hand incase SHTF. im new to prepping and im and i know im screwed if anything happened right this second.
    Most pre-1980 vehicles did not have computers or programmable circuits in them, however some may have solid state (diode/transistor) voltage regulators attached to the alternators. Whether or not those are susceptible to an EMP is debatable. Pre-1980 Bronco’s, Blazer’s, Cherokee’s and Scout's are good bets if an SUV-like vehicle is your goal… there are a few others. Be advised though that these are getting harder and more costly to acquire in good running condition. Affordable is seldom part of the description. Either you pay well for a nicely restored vintage vehicle or you start with a rusted geriatric 4X4 and invest in its money and time-consuming revitalization. Either way, to own one also means that you begin to amass your own spare parts inventory of common replacement parts like, but not limited to water pump, thermostat, alternator, U-joints & bearings, front-end pinions, radiator, ring gear, and so on.

I just looked at a very clean 1979 Bronco for $39,900. Save your pennies.
    Slippy likes this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

The Good Cop

Get a Ford or Chevy truck built prior to 1995. It would have to have a V-8 and manual transmission.
    Why?
    1. In 1996 all vehicles went from OBD-1 computers to the current OBD-2. OBD-1's are simple to get rid of, they control very few functions.
    2. A V-8 is almost necessary because of all the after market hot rod parts available that will replace the computer controlled ignition and fuel injection. For example, an MSD distributor and a Holley carburetor. Some in-line 6 cyl engines may have such parts available, such as the 300 cubic inch Ford straight six. Not sure about Chevy's.
    3. A manual transmission will negate having to replace a computer controlled automatic tranny.
    4. Stay away from a Dodge of any type, when they break they are expensive to fix. And they break much more often than Ford or Chevy.

5. All this info is meaningless if your state has emissions testing or mechanical inspection. Florida is a free state, we have neither.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 10-30-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    Mule13 and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@pakrat thanks for the info as iv said before im still new to the prepper world. so having this forum and its members really helps alot. its clear now that its going to be a big investment. but hopefully one that will be well worth it either way

@rice paddy daddy thanks for the info. iv always been a fan of fords so that will help lead me in the right direction and if the vehicle is over a certain age in maine it doesnt need a sticker just A: farm plates or B: antique plates (assuming the information i found is correct) but that really narrows it down to a better age bracket ty again!

Find yourself a mid 90's or older diesel ford with a 5 speed. All mechanical no stupid computers or emissions. Charging system will be the only thing you have to worry about. Diesel will be easier to find and stores longer then gas. Plus it can be mixed with trans fluid or other oils to increase your fuel supply, to a point.
    Slippy likes this.

@Chipper thanks for your reply ill look into that. here in maine theres alot of 90's trucks still kickin around

Instead of hoping to travel safely in a SHTF situation, @derbar , could you instead harden your present location and 'bug in'?

@sideKahr my current location isnt secure by any means partially due to the fact its a rental and im very limited on what i can do. what im hoping to do is buy a parcel of land that will allow me to build what i want to the specs i want. something near water. near the woods so that way i can have a good source of food and water. what my big concern is i want a vehicle i can use to retrieve my family in case they are un able to get home and after that point id haft to seek out some other relatives so i can have a few more bodies to help keep my property secure.
    sideKahr and rice paddy daddy like this.

I understand, @derbar . Good luck on the relocation, that looks like your best bet. Travel in a true Without Rule Of Law environment will be very hazardous.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links