Small Boats For SHTF Situations - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Small Boats For SHTF Situations

This is a discussion on Small Boats For SHTF Situations within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Originally Posted by Sasquatch Not a big chance of flooding where I live but I do have my 3 surfboards (2 shorties and 8' longboard) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Small Boats For SHTF Situations

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Not a big chance of flooding where I live but I do have my 3 surfboards (2 shorties and 8' longboard) that'll do in a pinch. Wouldn't be able to carry much in supplies but if it gets to that point I'll be more worried about saving my life than any supplies.
    Good for you Squatch ....... Found a pic of you waiting to catch a wave to Texas.

Small Boats  For SHTF Situations-surfing-sasquatch-avila.jpg
    Sasquatch and Slippy like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

If I lived in an area where flooding was an issue, then yes a small boat or two would be a high priority for a prepping item. I have to say that watching the devastating flooding in the houston area, I might have one, next time to help.
    RJAMES likes this.
    “Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much.”
    –John Wayne

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”
    -Mike Tyson

I am going to start looking for a used jon boat in the 10 foot range. Been thinking about it and I can store it in an out building - doubt I would use it but want it just in case. I can move that size boat around by myself , A longer boat just gets to heavy for one person, haul it in my truck or on trailers I already have when needed. I will get oars and look for a electric motor. I do not plan to maintain a separate battery but I currently have a battery for backup and camping. I have a solar panel to charge the camper batteries.

I plan to start looking now but do not expect to find one till later in the year. I live near some lakes and small fishing boats come on the market in the fall and spring.

With a motor I think I will be able to maneuver better in moving water. jon Boat more stable than my canoe and higher carrying capacity. If I store it inside it will be in the same shape as it is now 40 years from now.
    Yeti-2015 and BookWorm like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I've had this topic on my mind for 3-4 years at least. We don't live in a flood zone, but anymore flooding is possible just about anywhere you're between to mountain ranges. If I could pick, I'd go with a jon boat, 10 feet long, 4 ft wide. They are stable, deep enough to stand in, can carry plenty of weight and like you said, one person can carry them on land. However when it comes to $$ the best deal I've found recently is a 14'? canoe at a box store at the mall. Deep enough to stand up if you're careful. Weighs 84 pounds and can support 800. That's plenty for wife, me and our 2 greyhounds with our BOBs and extra gear with 85 pounds to spare. One design has a flat spot on back for a motor mount. If we go that route, a med size trolling motor and battery will work, just take less gear and we should be ok. The trick will be getting the hounds in and keeping them calm. But if all they see is water they might understand floating is good.
    Everybody seems to have a right, but who has any responsibility?

"It's better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Abe Lincoln

I don't live in a flood area, but one of my closest friends lives in Iberia Parish, LA...and he has a 16ft John Boat on a trailer and it is filled with bug out dear, sitting on a trailer ready to go. Seems smart to me.
    stowlin and A Watchman like this.
    ONLY THE INFERIOR STRIVE FOR EQUALITY

IF YOU CAN'T BE SAFE...BE DANGEROUS

I'm ready for when CA falls into the ocean and gives me ocean front, beach property. I keep this in the vacant lot next to me.
    Small Boats  For SHTF Situations-boat-desert.jpg
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S LaTrans View Post
    I don't live in a flood area, but one of my closest friends lives in Iberia Parish, LA...and he has a 16ft John Boat on a trailer and it is filled with bug out dear, sitting on a trailer ready to go. Seems smart to me.

after what happened in TX >>>> could be more than a few boats that no longer sit empty ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links