Mid Size or Full Size SUV - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mid Size or Full Size SUV

This is a discussion on Mid Size or Full Size SUV within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Originally Posted by guardsman79 Looking to add another vehicle to the stable. I've already got a ram 1500 4x4 with some nice additions for survival. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Mid Size or Full Size SUV

Quote Originally Posted by guardsman79 View Post
    Looking to add another vehicle to the stable. I've already got a ram 1500 4x4 with some nice additions for survival. Looking at getting a SUV next. What's everyone's thoughts on mid size vs full size SUV's? I'm mainly looking between a hummer h3/durango or a tahoe/suburban.
    Wasn't the Hummer H3 the oddball thing with the inline 5 cylinder engine?
    Not to be confused with the H2 which I recall was built using some pickup truck drivetrain parts.
    Also not to be confused with the H1, which is the civilianized version of the military HumVee. I looked at those when they first came out. As soon as I saw the price was 80k and up, I ran. This was ~30 years ago.
    The Tahoe came in two wheelbases, so you have options. The older Suburbans had a diesel option, but I haven't seen one in many years. My son had one. He sold it before I had a chance to get it. It was 4X4 too.

Nice choices. I have a small Blazer but I'd like to pair it with a pickup.

We just recently bought a Honda Pilot AWD. We looked at quite a few comparable models like the Pathfinder, Highlander, CX-9, Acadia and Traverse but overall it was hard to beat and was the best fit for us. My truck is my primary bug out vehicle but it is getting long on the tooth. While this can't tow or off road as good as my truck, it is still very capable and roomy with way better gas mileage. The range on this is about another 100 miles more than my truck and will be a good back up if my truck doesn't start when the poop hits the fan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I owned a Hummer H3. Great vehicle, fun to drive, excellent off-road. I've off-roadered with H2's and H1's. Each had their strength and weekness.
    But parts will be getting hard to find as they age. Also anything marked Hummer cost $$$. And I found my H3 was picky and only wanted OEM parts.
    Hummer community overall is excellent and I've met some great friends.
    But I'd look somewhere else for a bug-out vehicle.
    If your a GM fan. Wait a little longer the Blazer is coming back next year. Google 2019 Blazer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

What will the vehicle be used for primarily? Bigger will be better for cargo capacity/towing, smashing through stuff if you have adequate protection. Smaller will be better on fuel and getting in/out of tight spots. Consider interior room, can you get in and out easy especially with gear on your person, room for weapons/gear without being restricted in movement, ect. Personally, I hate getting in and out of Jeeps and they don't have much room inside. I'm not a Jeep fan. In the realm of SUV's, Broncos (full size) and K5 Blazers all the way baby. Avoid cross-over crap.

Pick something that is easy to work on and has good parts availability/price. Research the crap out it. Searching forums is a great place. Chrysler products are typically easy to work on, but in my experience there is a lot of working on them. I would avoid anything Hummer. They aren't the Humvee's the military has and those aren't even that great. If you plan on having this for SHTF, WROL, TEOTWAWKI, etc, stock up on components like filters, radiators (stock one good one and a couple cheap ones), hoses and clamps, a set of brake pads or two, common items that go out. You will figure that out in your research.

1999-2006 GM trucks/suv - avoid. 1999 and back, 2007 to now are fine, except 1995. GM used some different parts on various things for that year only and those parts or expensive and getting hard to find. Stay away from the 4.8L V8's for power reasons, especially '99-'06. I don't know a single person that owned a GM truck/suv in that year range that actually liked it. Some were ok with them, but the guys that actually used the trucks for real work got rid of them and bought older GM's or Fords. Duramax diesels are ok I guess. A friend had two, 2008 and 2010, was not impressed. 2001-2004 have injector problems, 2005 head gasket issues, 2006-2007 a good, 2007.5 - 2011 are eh. Oil cooler lines and heads were bad on the 6.5L diesels. I remember crew trucks that couldn't keep heads on them.

New body 2004-2008 Ford truck/suv - avoid. Heritage 2004 and back, 2009 to now are fine. The Triton engines from '97-'04 are ok for the most part, some had issues with spark plug thread failure. New '04-'08 are a no go mostly for the 2 piece spark plugs that are prone to break while removing and the camshaft phasers (not the Star Trek kind unfortunately). The Windsor engines from 1996 and back are good to go. The diesel trucks in general are fine. The 6.0L head gasket problem is a problem when people up the compression and don't replace the head bolts and gaskets. The EGR was a design flaw, aftermarket parts fixed it. 7.3L's are fine.

Dodge is hit and miss on what year and model to avoid and which are fine. In general, 2000 and back are fine, early 2000's they kinda went to crap and got better around 2013. But it really depends on the model and sometimes trim package. I would drive a mid 90's no problem. Other than that, I prefer to stay away from Chrysler products.

Toyota (I am currently a Toyota tech for full disclosure) mid 2000's and back are good to go. Try to avoid the 3.0L V6, sludging problems, head gaskets leaking, weak, just don't. The 3.4L V6 is fine. 2006 Tundras and back are ok for the most part, some head gasket problems. 2007 to 2012 have secondary air injection system problems which will eventually render the truck useless. It can cost up to $5K to fix it if it's out of warranty (10 years or 150,000 miles for this particular problem). I haven't seen it on '13s and newer. Over-rev the V8's and you can throw rocker arms, typically the intake arms for cylinder 7 for whatever reason. And the camshaft housing sub-assemblies are bad about leaking on the V8's. Toyotas made in the last 10ish are picky about fuel quality too. New stuff, no. Just no. No diesels, yet. They are in the works.

Some of the above is fact, some opinion, mostly experience. My favorite vehicle I've owned: my first love -1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4 door, 305, 700R4, Police Package (Z-28 suspension with hub caps) and a 1994 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer, 351W, E4OD, 3.55 limited slip front/rear, did some mods to it. I kick myself every day for selling it.

Whatever you get, research common problems, and STAY ON TOP OF MAINTENANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. All the time I have vehicles in my bays with customer complaints about not running right, runs like crap, etc. I look at their history, they're not performing recommended maintenance. Not even an air filter. It's not rocket science. "My engine is making a funny sound", YOU DON"T HAVE ANY OIL IN YOUR ENGINE THERE TWINKLE TOES!!!!! Jeeze, all the dang time folks, all the dang time. If you take your vehicle to the dealership, DO NOT FALL FOR THE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANING SERVICE aka pocket flush (flushes the money out of your pockets). Pour some Sea Foam in the tank from time to time. Only time it is needed is if you have bad fuel contamination. I could go all day and night on this stuff. But I'll stop now.

Oh, and if you get a 4WD, try and get one with limited slip front and rear. And if you do get one, change the differential fluids and make sure you put the friction modifier in it. NOW I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by guardsman79 View Post
    Looking to add another vehicle to the stable. I've already got a ram 1500 4x4 with some nice additions for survival. Looking at getting a SUV next. What's everyone's thoughts on mid size vs full size SUV's? I'm mainly looking between a hummer h3/durango or a tahoe/suburban.
    First step is trying to get healed up from buying Dodges and or Obummer motor cars aka Chevys. The Lord gave us Japs to make cars and Germans to make guns. Eyetalians to make pasta and pizza. Mama drives a Toyoter Tundra and I drive a Lexus. Let us get with the program. Broke folks might look into Fords. Surely the lesser of the evils for those who dont know any better.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 11-14-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Toyota 4Runner. Its a SUV on a real frame. Its a Toyota. They hold their value to being valuable as they tend to last a long time.
    bigwheel likes this.

We have became convinced. My dear big Bro gifted me with a 92 Lexus 8 cylinder hot rod with 200 k on the dial a few years back. None of the little pukes who want to race between the traffic lights can keep up with the old white Knight. It shows 160 on the speed o meter and can probably still do it. but it needs tires before headed off to Indy.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 11-15-2018 at 03:42 AM.
    A Watchman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phrogman View Post
    We just recently bought a Honda Pilot AWD. We looked at quite a few comparable models like the Pathfinder, Highlander, CX-9, Acadia and Traverse but overall it was hard to beat and was the best fit for us. My truck is my primary bug out vehicle but it is getting long on the tooth. While this can't tow or off road as good as my truck, it is still very capable and roomy with way better gas mileage. The range on this is about another 100 miles more than my truck and will be a good back up if my truck doesn't start when the poop hits the fan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    We had two Honda CRVs back to back. The first one was tops..the second was also ran. Think their quality control is slipping or at least the impresion I got. We will only buy Toyoters these days.

Wife loves her Highlander but I'm done with it. Toyota's are great till you have to fix them. Kind of like a boat, break out another thousand.

I'll stick with my junk cheapo Fords. Guess my 30 plus years of actually working on vehicles made me stupid.
    modfan likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links