Bicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Bicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up! within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; There is a lot of conversation surrounding bug out vehicles. What is the best? What is the most powerful? Which is fastest? Do you use ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Bicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!

Banned

There is a lot of conversation surrounding bug out vehicles. What is the best? What is the most powerful? Which is fastest? Do you use gas, diesel or multi-fuel? Do you go big, small or in the middle? All of which are great topics for debate. But what happens when the fuel runs out? When the oil pan gets punctured and you throw a rod through the block? A softball sized hole gets punched through your radiator? The logistics and support for keeping that vehicle running is extensive. Parts, spare tires, tools, fuel, oil, water, belts, hoses etc. In a true bug-out situation, you could feasibly need a small parts store to maintain it. And you need an extensive know how to fix it.

Better yet, your bug out plan met unforeseen issues that caused serious delays and now the roads are so clogged, you can't get anywhere to begin with. Now what? Ever try to conceal a large vehicle "johnny on the spot"? I don't know too many diesels that are all that quiet either. I am not discounting the value of these vehicles by any means. I'd love nothing better than to have a Ma Deuce sitting in my back yard ready to go. But what about an alternative? Maybe even a primary BOV.

The bicycle has been used by the armed forces of the world since at least the late 1800's. Bicycles have been used in each World War, and Vietnam. The Danish, the Finnish, British and even Americans used them. In Vietnam, the Viet-Cong used them to ferry supplies down the Ho-Chi Minh Trail. Of the most famous, are the Swiss Army Bikes, still in use today.

So why not a bug out vehicle? As I had posted in another thread regarding the benefit of a bicycle for exercise and why I like them, I also posted the following regarding their value as a BOV;

Bicycles for bug-out have a lot of flexibility. You can tow things with them; the little carts you see people pulling their small children around in make great supply trailers. They can be outfitted to hold weapons; Hunters outfit bikes all the time. It allows them to quickly and quietly get into areas that motor vehicles aren't allowed to go. You don't have to worry about fuel. They're easily concealable behind bushes, in ditches or wherever you happen to be. They are easy to work on with a few simple tools and, with a couple of specialized tools, there is nothing you can't do to them. Bikes are everywhere and spare parts, such as chains, tires, wheels, inner-tubes, brakes, bearings etc., are easy to come by, or, a whole 'nother bike if that's what it takes. They're great for quickly and quietly moving through, or, in and out of areas that you don't necessarily want to attract attention, especially at night. And, if you really need it, you can buy a kit for less than $250 and mount an engine on it for emergencies (creating distance) or those really steep hills that you just don't feel like climbing. These engines get about 150 miles to the gallon and, depending on overall weight/load and gearing, you'll see speeds of 15 to 30 mph. As I said, my top speed is about 15 mph, maybe a little more. My cruising speed is about 10mph, at a nice gentle pace I enjoy. I can only maintain that for so long. Lance Armstrong I am not. But that little engine can maintain that 15 mph as a minimal speed until it overheats or runs out of fuel. Once fuel becomes an issue/non-existent, simply remove the engine and it's other components and go. So bicycles not only provide me with the exercise I need, and make it mostly enjoyable, but they also meet my "get the hell out of here" needs.

It is not much more effort, as long you have trained for it some, to haul a hundred, even two hundred pounds of gear between your bicycle and a trailer. You make much faster time on a bike than on foot, especially a vehicle stuck in deadlocked traffic. And, if you choose to bug out in a motor vehicle, bicycle's make a great secondary means of escape. Load necessities in the trailer(s) and go.

Whether a primary way to bug out, or as a back-up, bicycles should not be discounted as part of the overall plan. Fuel will only last so long; both in quantity and quality/usability, no matter how much stabilizer you add. A bug out survival plan of any merit has redundant back-up plans. A bicycle should be one of them. And a legitimate one at that.

I have 2 decent mountain bikes, thanks for the reminder, I was going to pick up some extra tubes.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    I have 2 decent mountain bikes, thanks for the reminder, I was going to pick up some extra tubes.
    And that is a fantastic start! Wikipedia has some great write-ups on Military Bicycles and there are lot's of photo's on Google to start getting ideas for set-ups.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The big thing to remember about bikes is balance, if your BoB is 50 or 60 lbs or more that is going to make you very top heavy, you would defiantly want to practice with your bike with that kind of weight. would not be so hot getting half a mile down the road and let your bag take you down and break something. another special reminder to lighten your load.........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wesley762 View Post
    The big thing to remember about bikes is balance, if your BoB is 50 or 60 lbs or more that is going to make you very top heavy, you would defiantly want to practice with your bike with that kind of weight. would not be so hot getting half a mile down the road and let your bag take you down and break something. another special reminder to lighten your load.........
    A great point. As with any two wheeled vehicle, it is super important to balance your load. Saddle bags are great as they keep the center of gravity low. A luggage rack is good too, but you really have to watch the weight that high up (top loading). That's when it can get weird and you find yourself just kind of leaning over until you hit the ground. A lot of that can dealt with by simply hooking up a cart to the bike and towing it behind with your gear.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

Not planning on bugging out but hauling, transport, or errands why not?

Banned

Bicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!-apocalypse-bike.jpg

This is the "Apocalypse Bike". Other photos are of some Old School Swiss Army Bikes and one a little more modern...

Bicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!-swiss-army-bike-2.jpgBicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!-swiss-army-bike-4.jpgBicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!-swiss-army-bike-3.jpg

As you can see, there is a lot of potential.
    Last edited by bigdogbuc; 07-08-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    oldmurph58 likes this.

I like this idea for a bug-out bike:

Bicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!-highwaybike.png

roy

A bicycle will work when traffic is paralized by gridlock. A bicycle will go any place a jeep will and places it won't. A bicycle will go almost anywhere you can walk . . . but much faster. A bicycle requires very little in the way of maintenance. Probaby the only supplies you would need to stockpile to last for years after TEOTWAWKI is a couple of tires and tubes, maybe a spare chain. Bicycles are fun. Bicycles are cool.

Bicycles can also be very expensive. They are like any other high end toy. Folks decide they will get into bicycling and go out an buy a high end bike. They ride it a few times and then it sits in the garage with the exercise machines. After awhile it will end up on ebay or Craigslist for half price. Watch ebay and Craigslist.
    bigdogbuc and Moonshinedave like this.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I think a bike is an excellent alternative mode of transport to have for shtf. I bought a used Diamondback Override like in the photo below for this and only spent about a $100 and change on it, buying it used. It's a good bike and will get me around when shtf to do tasks, and I'll use it for bugging out when my truck is a no go. I don't think a person needs to spend a lot if they don't want to. I replaced the tubes with puncture resistant tubes and have some work to go on it, but it will give me lots of use for the money I know. I've been wanting a recumbent trike having rode them and fell in love, but haven't gotten around to the purchase yet. It's not a priority compared to other preps so it waits.

Bicycles for Buggin' Out or Back-Up!-552632d1277651415-diamondback-override-approx-1991-worth-selling-imag0037.jpg

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links