High mileage oil vs regular oil for BOV
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on High mileage oil vs regular oil for BOV within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Is there any difference between regular oil and high mileage oil? Everytime I'm at the oil change place, they always ask me, and thinking that ...

Jeb

Is there any difference between regular oil and high mileage oil? Everytime I'm at the oil change place, they always ask me, and thinking that i'll save over half the cost, I just go with regular oil. My bug out vehicle has 160k miles on it.

Re: High mileage oil vs regular oil for BOV

From what I have heard, it has a slightly different viscosity then regular oil. Neither one will hurt your vehicle, one just protects a little longer. To be honest if you are saving half using regular, stick with it. If you really want to save money, get on youtube and learn how to change it out yourself. In SHTF you won't have service stations....
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Jeb

I went to the service station today. A oil change, (Filter, 4 quarts of oil, washing windsheild, and checking lights and wiper blades) cost me exactly $30 dollars and some odd change. The high engine oil was like $45. I stuck with the low version though. I'm taking your advice and I'm going to change my oil the next time! I know I need an oil wrench and of course the filter and oil. I'm curious where I can dispose of the oil after I'm done. I know some places charge you a few bucks to do this, but I would think they could somehow recycle it and should be paying the person recycling.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Check around your State/County Highway Barracks. The ones in Northern Maryland have large tanks by the front gates that you can dispose your used oils into for free.

Super Moderator

Keep in mind though that you can't just willy-nilly switch oils unless you're sure of what you're putting in there. Say you have Havoline brand, which is paraffin based, and mix it with Penzoil, which is petrol based, and then heat it. IT SOLIDIFIES! My good friends dad (knows all sorts of stuff) showed me this and I'll always recall it. I make sure mine is changed with the same brand, because mixing the wrong two motor oils will leave deposits and varnish like you wouldn't believe. Most folks never see the inside of an engine so it never comes to mind. What came in my FJ is Castrol brand, so I'll have to stick with that for now. You know why they make that commercial engine flush stuff? Bingo. You can also use diesel fuel to flush an engine and then run it on idle for a few seconds, rev it a couple times till it sounds dull and then shut off and drain it. You will see big nasty black boogers of stuff coming out, that's normal. Only thing with the diesel fuel trick is you have to run a couple quarts through the engine just to 'wash' it out and then change the filter. Then when you add the new oil just listen till the filter picks that last of it up and top it off. Works awesome on VW flat-four boxer engines and really well on 4 stroke power equipment like lawn mowers. The commercial engine flush is great too but that stuff is caustic as hell and you don't want to get it on your skin.
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

As far as your used motor oil you can build a used Motor oil heater for very cheap. They will burn anything that is oil based.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_lib ... h/me4.html

I am going to build one over the summer months for my shop. I have heard that some shops will let you have the old oil they have so it's basically free heat.
    Be prepared.
    Boy Scout Motto.

my rules with oil
    when you git a car pick a oil and stick with it
    also when changing to a new oil do 2 oil changes (with a motor oil flush/oil cleaner mix) the tow needs to bewith in 750 miles with the same oil cleaner and the same new oil your going with.
    after that its evrey 3000 miles or 5000 with synthetic
    with diesel, 5000 miles just do it
    atf 10,000 just do it . you will fined your trany is the one still working after 150,000 + atf is a good cleaner in a diesel rig but dont use oils with macron to clean your diesel fuel system. not a good thing

make sure if you get a used oil burner that you use only organic based oils. Mobil 1 does not burn & really messes with those oil burners.

Sponsored Links